Notices

Binge drinking help

Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking help

Hello
I an 23 year old woman who is starting to realise what a big problem I have with binge drinking.I regularly go out spend loads of money on drink get wasted and black out.The next morning I feel horribly depressed often suicidal sometimes I am sick.I always say/do embarrassing things like throwing myself at inappropriate men.I put myself in danger like staying out late and getting trains home on my own.Sometimes I phone or text my ex when drunk and then regret it majorly the next day.I think my friends are really fed up.They don't drink as much or at all.I don't get invited out much now which is frustrating because sobre I am fine and get on well with people.
I really want to quit the booze I know I can do it but I feel so ashamed of myself.Anyone got any tips on moving on and forgetting the past ?I feel like an absolute disgrace.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aw sweetie. I could have written your post almost word for word when I was 23 (okay there was no texting when I was 23...but I sure knew how to drunk dial : ). I wish I knew then what I know now. Don't you hate it when old people say that? I went to AA a few times bout your age for all the reasons you express. I binged and blacked out regularly when I went out. I was not a daily drinker or anything like that...I just got dangerously polluted on "going out" nights. I spent more than the next 2 decades drinking. Somewhere in my 30's..after bad break up..I became a daily drinker also...who still binged on weekends etc.

What makes me so sad..is how reckless I was with my life, my mind and my well being. Did I really hate myself that much? Did I require escape that much...leaving NO ONE to mind me? I actually have no idea why I'm still alive.

There is so much support and wisdom here. I would say this is an excellent first step in charting a new life path. Should you decide on sobriety, there are a lot changes and its helpful to have others around who know exactly where you've been and what you're talking about. Learning to be "real" and comfortable in your own skin is really, really, really worth it. There is no limit to what you can accomplish for yourself if you keep your wits about you..and keep yourself safe.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and hang in there. I and many others started to recover by getting honest with ourselves and really want to stop for our self benefit. It's done one day at a time and many use AA and reading the posts here are a big booster. I use this phrase a lot because it helped me and makes sense to me. "If we don't pick up the first drink we don't have to geT sober AGAIN." BE WELL
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi BreakinS,

Welcome!

I echo Nuudawn's post.

I too,was exactly where you are at age 23. (Now 55)

It's so great that you are addressing this problem at your young age!
Yes you can indeed do it.
This place is a wonderful resource, a supportive community and I'd encourage you to read and post more.
Good luck!

Btw, Nuudawn,

Way to go for two months, so happy for you!!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What I learned in AA is that we can't change the past. But eventually, through working the steps I have come to see the value in my past. It helps me help others, which is one of the main ways I stay sober (by the Grace of God) today. Don't worry about your past - that's just wasted energy - keep seeking sobriety and allow that you will not always feel good, but it beats feeling hungover, ashamed and baffled all the time
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I can also echo Nuudawn and Leshar. Just in the few replies there you have it. You've found a place where you can identify with the people within.

I hope that you decide to stay and read. There are great words of wisdom. There are many routes that you can take and you have to find out what works best for you.

You said:

I really want to quit the booze I know I can do it but I feel so ashamed of myself.
Now change that to "I really want to quit the booze and I know I can do it so that I don't have to feel ashamed of myself".

YOU CAN DO THIS

One thing that's a definite positive, you said that your friends don't drink much or at all. That's such a positive start! Many of us walked away from alcohol and because of that lost friends (or what we thought were friends). It sounds like you have people around you who would support and welcome your sobriety.

I'm glad that you came here, please stay and give it a chance!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm 27 and don't drink QUITE as heavily as I did when I was 23, but your post more or less describes my life since about age 18. I don't drink all the time, but when I do, I go hard. And sometimes it is frequent and sometimes it is not, but in the end there always ends up being some night where I get myself into trouble, make people mad, put myself in a dangerous situation that I might not even remember in the morning... etc. Today is my first day (again) on the road to sobriety and it is overwhelming and scary and I don't exactly feel very good, but I know that drinking makes me feel worse, so it's time to do something about it before it gets out of control (more out of control).

Good luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, wow, do I know that feeling. Waking up to all the regret and shame. It really is so depressing. But you know what? Today is different—today you came here, and reached out for help. That's awesome! You should be proud of yourself for that, because it takes a lot of courage.

It's also when things started getting a LOT better for me. It was hard for me to imagine a life without alcohol. They key for me was to quit drinking, once and for all. Moderation never worked—one drink, and the obsession came roaring back, and pretty soon I'd be back to having a lot more than one drink.

Trust me, this is a good day for you. I thought quitting would be a huge sacrifice. Turns out it wasn't about giving something up, it was about getting stuff back, starting with self-respect and peace of mind. If I could do it, you can do it!!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR! At 23 I also started to realise that I had a big problem with binge drinking. I phoned AA but then chickened out of taking it any further. If I had stopped at 23, I'd have saved myself another 8 years of shame. So by stopping now you're doing something really good for yourself. From the moment you stop you're able to start working through the feelings of shame and start moving on. Time and working on a recovery plan both help with forgetting the past and shaping a great future for yourself.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What's worked for me, personally, is AA.
Meetings & Stepwork.
I know the Steps pretty well so if you have any questions or need any support, feel free to PM me
<3
Thuggy
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

lots of good advice here already so I'll just say welcome breakingsciencex - glad you found us

D