Notices

Day 5

Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

So I'm on day 5 of withdrawal from opiates, cold turkey. Its been rough between the sweating one minute, chills the next, body aches and lack of sleep. I've been through it before though so I can do it again, I hope. Part of me feels sad to leave that life behind, even though it wasn't really much of a life, it was the life I knew. I can't keep on the way I was going, with my IV use I caused myself a lot of health problems. I hope to get into a methadone program in my community and I hope the days get easier and I hope my sick sleeping mind stops dreaming of dope and that my conscious mind stops thinking of dope. Thats it...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Justina - you'll find lot of support here
sounds like you've made a great decision to get clean

D
Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Justina,
I am on day 4 of kicking heroin and opiates cold turkey as well. I can tell you I've recieved SO MUCH good advice from articles online about what home remedies to do to help your withdrawals. The sleeping is the biggest one for me as well, I haven't slept more than 10 hours for the past 4 nights. Last night was probably the best night of sleep I've had and it was only 5 hours. Hell, I take it! Lol. You should look into getting some melatonin, it's just a hormone they sell at drug stores. It helps you fall asleep. But it takes about a week to kick in, it might be worth trying since some people have a hard time sleeping even being 2 weeks clean. Also Valerian Root helps with sleeping. If you have access to klonopins or can get them from your doctor that REALLY helps with sleeping and any kind of panic attacks or anxiety issues you might have following withdrawals. I know I have an anxiety problem and also it brought out my depression pretty drastically, I'm getting some klonopins tomorrow so I'll keep you updated on how those worked with sleeping. The other things that I'm using are imodium to help with poop cramps, lots of vitamins, water, gatorade (because you get really dehydrated from pooping all the time), ibuprophin, and motrin pm. Obviously I don't take them all at once but they all have had great effects and I can't believe how good I feel on day 4! You can also get some over the counter restless leg meds that work wonders. I'm not a doctor, I'm just telling you from my experience and from what I read online. But hang in there, it's going to be so worth it once our lives turn around and we can start spending our money on things that are good and matter. Rebuilding relationships, EVERYTHING. Just constantly read articles about recovery and other people's stories and sometimes I even scare myself by reading crime logs about what happened to people that involved heroin or opiates. Anyway, I'm babbling. But good luck!

ps. my personal opinion about methodone or bupe is yeah, it gets you back into a normal life routine, but you're eventually going to have to withdrawal from that too. sometimes it's better going cold turkey at first, because having a second addiction really sucks. It's sometimes good to take those though if you have a really addictive personality and physically and mentally can't stop using opiates, then it will be there to help. But just be careful! My friends withdrew from bupe and it was a worse withdrawal than kicking heroin.
Take care,
~ Fighting Lioness
Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 days and welcome to the forum! Keep reading and posting here.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Justina. Let's do this together and be awesome!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Justina13

You will find a lot of support here at SR!