Notices

Lortab Withdrawal

Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lortab Withdrawal

I am a 29 yr old male. I became addicted to lortab about 8 or 9 months ago. I have tried detoxing about 10 times in that period but always went back to the pills. The longest I have detoxed is about 3 days. I took last dose about 8:00 pm last night. It is 11:00 am the day after and stomach is messed up, runny nose, lack of energy, achy body. I know the next few days will be worse. Thankfully the weekend is coming up so I can rest and relax. I was taking about 6-8 10/500s per day. I want to stop this. I hide it from my wife and everytime I see my daughter (she's almost 3) I know I am doing wrong and need to straighten out. Does anyone have any advice to make the physical part better? How long will symptoms persist? I just want to feel the way I did before I started abusing these things. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning bd! Welcome to SR! So you Have decided to give up those lortabs and jump off that god awful oppiate rollercoaster ride to Hell! Congratulations on your decision! You say your last pill was 16 hours ago? Then I'm assuming your just starting to feel the effects of WD. The acute physical side of WD lasts between 5 to 7 days. That's an average timeframe. The P.A.W.S. could last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. Dont worry about the later phase right now, some don't even have too many of those symptoms and they will most likely be pretty mild. You mentioned you gave up on day 3? Wow, you were at the home stretch! Anyway, the important thing is that you are doing this. There are many oppiate addicts in our substance abuse forum. You will find tons of info and support. Hang in there you CAN do this! Post as often as you like. We will get through this together, ok?

Amy
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know anything about pills but want to welcome you to SR!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you cleaninLI. It has been close to 21 hours now since last dose. I called into work and laid in bed most of day. That helped a little because I was exhausted. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better. I will definitely try hot bath/showers. I am hoping my w/d doesn't affect work too much but it's only 5-7 days so there will be no permanent damage done in that time. I just feel so tired and unmotivated. Just looking forward to getting my life back. I am determined to beat this addiction this time. Too much money spent and not to mention what all that aspirin is doing to my liver. My only regret is that I wish I would have tapered off. Maybe that would have made the physical w/d easier.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Hi Bdrign, I don't have any experience with Lortab but I just wanted to welcome you to SR and say it sounds like you're doing the right thing by getting plenty of rest. When I stopped drinking I also felt really tired and unmotivated so I just got lots of sleep because that's what my body needed. After about a week I started having more energy. I'm now on day 25 and I'm so glad I hung tough through the withdrawals. All the best to you!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try taking 1,000 mg of Vitamin C (preferably calcium acorbate) every hour.

That will clear up most of your WD symptoms
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dutchess, that seems like a lot of vitamin C. Can that be harmful?

Hot cold sweats driving me nuts. After a long mid day nap I feel decent. My head is very cloudy. Looking forward to hot shower and bed tonight. I haven't told my wife about what's going on. I would like to but unsure how that will go. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not I should let her know? Hiding it is tough. It makes me feel bad but she has enough problems without me adding to them. What has everyone else done with their spouses?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bdrign View Post
Dutchess, that seems like a lot of vitamin C. Can that be harmful?
Nope, Vit. C is water soluble, you'll just pee it all out again (whatever your body doesnt use).

Works great on opiates. I cant post links yet, not enough posts.

Check your PM box
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Google the following words: megadosing vitamin c "Dr. Alex Schauss"

That should take you to a site called bigpitcher-DOT-org. Click on that link and then click on the youtube video
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I decided to tell my wife and I'm glad I did. Too hard to hide withdrawal. Called in to work again today. I have to go in Monday so I hope the physical part is over by then. Going to focus on resting. Sweats don't seem as bad today (38 hours from last dose). Brain is racing though and can't concntrate enough to work. I just feel like I let everyone I loved down. Can't let this happen again. It is nice to have an outlet here. Days going by slowwwwww!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Bdrign!
Perhaps I could offer a little help concerning your present situation. First, a little background: one year ago, this month, I withdrew from alcohol, went through delirium tremens, had a seizure, and subsequently, broke my shoulder. I had to have a few very painful surgeries after that for which I was prescribed quite a lot of pain medication. Our daily doses, yours and mine, were almost the exact same. I will suggest that days 4 and 5 are considerably easier concerning the discontinuation of this medication. My discontinuation insomnia was completely over on night 4 and my sleep patterns were much improved after this. I would suggest what I did and that was to occupy your time with "light" activities. For me, that was doing some shopping around the mall (not really buying anything, just passing time), walking, without any set goal of distance (if I felt like walking for two hours, or just five minutes, I did what I felt like), and finally, taking care of myself as far as nutrition goes. I guess what I am saying is to "lightly" occupy your time without anything that requires a tremendous amount of attention or effort. Projects you can instantly quit without feeling badly about.

As is said, time heals all wounds, and discontinuing this medication is no different. For me, days 4-5 and every one since have been much, much better. Just stick with your progress and you will be amazed at how much better you feel.

Many Blessings to you!
Ryan

PS the one thing I DESPISED about stopping this medication was the hypersensitivity to tastes and scents. Because of this, gourmet smoked salt is no longer welcome in my house or around me! lol.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi bd,
You did the right thing by telling your wife. It helps to have her support while detoxing. Very hard to go it alone especially when you feel as sick as you do. Also, she can run out and pick things you might need from the store.

Anyway, just hang in there and try not to think too much.. Don't think about who you let down ECt ECt.. Just concentrate on getting through the physical wds. You can deal with your mistakes later ok? Sleep as much as possible. ( if you can, many cannot sleep)

Watch funny movies or shows. Something light and entertaining, it helps to distract you from the pain.

I hope your drinking plenty of fluids. Hang in there!

It's day 2 right?

Tomorrow is hump day and then it's downhill from there.

You CAN do this!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey bd your my first reply that I have sent to someone. I was on very high doses of norcos and I know what it feels like. I didn't tell my wife and wish I could but that's another story. I'm glad to hear you are doing it. I'm off the norcos for day 11 now. Can't say it was better for me day 4 but it really does get easier each day. Feel better today than yesterday. If you take little tiny steps each 30 mins. You will have passed another day, then another goes by and so on. It really doesn't take much time if you consider how much you wasted in it a few weeks of discomfort, irritable, can't sleep much or concentrate. That's really all you might have to deal with for a short time considering the months or years you have given to this med. I'm day 11 and I can breath and be outside and laugh again for e first time in a few weeks. You can do this hang in !! Rough ride for a few then go from there
Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My wife is my rock. I am so glad I told her. I laid in bed most of the day. I got up a little while ago and played with my daughter. We are going to go for a walk later. I am feeling a little better. More cloudy headed than anything right now and the sniffles. I think daily exercise will help with the energy levels. CleaninLI I have been drinking water and Gatorade. I am worried about work. I am a general manager for a roofing company and have a ton of responsibility. That's part of the reason I got into this mess. I am on day 2. Thank you all for your support. This site has helped a lot already. Glad I told my wife. If anyone else is in this position please be honest with your spouse. It helps a lot. Ill keep posting
Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I dont understand why you dont do the Vitamin C thingie.

It gets rid of about 90% of your withdrawals symptoms. It always gets rid of mine
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This may sound nuts but I need to feel the pain. If it is easy I may use again. The pain will give me a reason not to do this again. It is going ok too.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bdrign View Post
I need to feel the pain. If it is easy I may use again.
Well.....thats actually a really good point. I spose I didnt look at it that way.

Anywho, by next week you'll back to 100% again. So no worries

Its Bupe you wanna stay away from, I've heard of 6-month long withdrawal periods where you'll feel you're going nuts. Same thing for Benzo's, they too can take many months.

So in that way a 1-week WD period isnt so bad
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile

I have been up for several hours and feel a lot better. Did some laundry and played with my daughter. The motion has helped with the energy and aches. We are going for a family walk later. I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully daily exercise will give me more motivation. Especially when it comes to work. Ill post again later. Day 2 coming to a close shortly
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok,I've done this so many times I'm embarrassed to say exactly how many.anyway all u can do is treat the symptoms,Gatorade ,keep hydrated the vitamin c things good bannanas are good for potassium. Bayer back and body's good for the aches and pain and also over the counter sleep medicine is good at night,it'll help u sleep cause insomnia is going to be a big part of it. It'll get better ,just keep your head up,treat the symptoms and remember you don't ever have to go through this again,there's this stuff called kratom,they sell it in head shops,it's not cheap but it helps a lot..good luck and like I said you don't ever have to go thru this again!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bd,
I am very glad you told her as well. Kudos to you for being honest with her!

When we make mistakes in life, they are not in vein when we learn from them. That is how we become better people. I can see you are going to get through this and your marriage will be even stronger.

Often times, it takes a mistake or a crisis to bring out the best in us and our loved ones. Helps us appreciate them more.

Next time you are faced with the temptation to take a lortab remember this moment when your wife stood by your side while you were suffering WD. Remember how she forgave you and supported you. She didn't walk away, right? Also, think about your daughter and how she looks up to you. You hold her life in your hands. She loves you unconditionally, because you are her Daddy. What you do effects her life.

As far as the job goes. Work stress is a huge factor in why people get lured into taking pills. As the days go by and you start feeling better. You need to come up with less destructive ways to combat job stress.

But for right now, this weekend, turn off your brain, and try to relax and enjoy being with your family. Don't feel guilty for calling in sick, ok?

I am happy you are getting through this with the support of your loving family.

Enjoy that walk!

Your friend