Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 1

Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Doctors visit went a lot better than I thought. The doctor gave me an eye opener... I asked how she never noticed I had a problem... She stated, ' I knew- you were the only one in denial. I refuse to help those who won't even admit they have a problem.' I just sat there with my mouth open.

Anyway, she said I'm doing good... Took more blood gave me a script for Welchol to help my glucose levels to become more stable... She thinks that's why I'm waking up 'drunk'... She also instructed me to eat 8-10 small meals instead of 2-3 larger meals now that I have an appetite.

And I lost 12lbs.... Lol
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Glad it went ok cagedturtle

How's everyone else doing today?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Fine and I hope you are,too. Caged I have blood work done every 3 months to check liver function because of one of the medications I take for ulcerative colitis. My gastroenterologist told me about 2 years ago I had changes in my blood consistent with alcohol use. January had a liver abnormality. I really didn't think I drank thaaaat much. Gastroenterologist Dr is a liver dr too. 1 month later liver function normal. Then got back on the juice. I knew where I was headed and that was bad. That's why I'm here. Most design ain't stupid
Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Oops. Stupid phone. Meant to say" most drs ain't stupid"
Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

*bump* for bblackbirdflyy ,

m
Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

BlackBirdFly, you have a lot of friends here; please post...whatever. We have all been there.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

I have to say that I am on an anti-depressant...it seems to help (when I do not drink!)
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just checking in. Day 10 here.

Yesterday afternoon/evening, I felt a sudden rush of anger and irritation. I was aggravated at everything and felt so icky. I went to the gym and that helped a little. What's weird is, I both wanted to drink and didn't want to drink. I wanted to because I associate (superficially at least) wine with 'calming me down' if I'm out of sorts. But I didn't want to because I knew on a deeper level that it wouldn't solve anything and would only make me feel worse in the morning. Also, I was scared that if I drank last night, I would say **** it, I'll just start over in September.

I focused on my long-term goal, and that is to start (and hopefully get through) this school year sober. We go back to teaching soon, and I just cannot go through another year drinking every night.

Maybe it was good to feel a test or battle of the mind of sorts--last night was the first time in the past 10 days when I really had to talk myself out of it. And I thought of all of y'all on this forum, and how we're all struggling and all in it together. That helps tremendously.

Wishing everyone a happy Saturday (or getting towards Sunday for you guys on the other side of the Atlantic).
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Yay! Thank you Mecanix. Nice to meet you all.

I'm on day one again.

I joined SR back in june of 2011. Before I came to this thread I popped back in to that daily support thread (Class of June 11). A lot of my former "classmates" have two years under their belt now, and I would too if I hadn't given up on quitting. I was sober for the longest stretch in recent memory.... 45 days. Each little milestone I hit felt GREAT. I want to feel that amount of happiness everyday, from now on.

I went from that stretch - to drinking occasionally socially, to drinking heavily socially, to drinking occasionally alone, to drinking heavily alone. I need to stop before I throw my life away. I'm ready to make this change. I binge drink every other day now and it is sooo out of control.

I found out a long time ago that the root of my unhappiness is my dependency on alcohol. It makes things worse, makes me unproductive, lazy, unhealthy, gross, slobbering idiot.

Today I am quitting smoking and drinking for good. Oh yeah, I started smoking again that needs to leave my life too.

Looking forward to this journey together. Bound and determined to make it to Aug 10 2015 and say, "I have two years of sobriety today".... and beyond!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Hello Blackbird. No pressure here. You can run but you can't hide. See what I mean . Stick around for a while, it's a pretty good place.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

I imagine we all have these sorts of awful stories of what we do and think when we drink, or we wouldn't be here.
Kadidee - god yes. I hate myself most days after a big binge. I just want to smack my drunk self... but I'm going to do one better and ditch that b*tch!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

At the moment, I just can't wait for my intern to get to work so I can leave and go get a taco. I'm bored and hungry. When I'm bored and hungry I drink. blah.

I love tacos. I hate booze ... and my boring job.

I'm all alone at work, and there is an endless supply of "free" beer here, and yes I have gotten drunk at work before. I'm not sure if my boss has noticed... but the suspicion that he has noticed is stressing me out considerably. I have an interview for a new job on Monday. Where there is less boredom and no available booze. Please keep me in your thoughts for a new great job on Monday. I gotta get out of here!!!

Come on 2pm -- I need tacos.

How's your day?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Blackbird--thanks for sharing some of your story. I can totally relate. In June, I had 'had enough' and was only going to drink socially. That lasted for a few weeks. Then, by mid-July, I was already back to drinking by myself. I went for 2 weeks drinking a bottle of wine every other night (and still thought maybe I was doing okay because it wasn't every night, as usual). Then, the last week of July, I drank 3 nights in a row...it is a slippery slope indeed. The only way I know how to 'control' my drinking at the moment is not to try to control it, but just take it off the proverbial table entirely.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Hey class, day 5 for me today. Been very busy and it's been very easy for a Saturday to be honest. Definitely wont be drinking tonight! Have a good one all, stay strong, I'm fearing the inevitable weak moments
Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

I'm jumping on board...however, this month should be easy, next month is my first test. A bachelor party is coming up, passing is not getting drunk the entire weekend. I'm going to have one or two drinks, but there will be no drunken hazes anymore. It's going to be a challenge staying tight with 25 friends al trying to buy the table shots and drinks. I'm going to go slow and say no, and if worse comes to worse I'll leave the table and see some sights...or maybe go to the hotel for a few and visit these forums.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

good luck Michael. I am resolved not to drink period as I know my one or two turns into 11-12. I feel your pain though, it will be especially hard not to drink with football season coming up and my bf and friends all tying one on while watching the game. I hang with a big drinking group of friends. I need to be strong!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Welcome Micheal and Blackbird good luck for the job interview on Monday

Made it through a Saturday night it feels good.

Was just about to curl up on sofa and put a dvd in a series i loved from years ago only to realise i bought the 2nd not the 1st ha!!! really not had a smooth weekend lol but at least its been a sober one so far yay.

Take care all hope you all have a great sober Saturday xx
Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Tallia, glad you made it. It's 3:20pm here, working now, and will drink NO alcohol tonight. Feels too good to mess this up. Maybe my body thinks its getting a treat
Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
good luck Michael. I am resolved not to drink period as I know my one or two turns into 11-12. I feel your pain though, it will be especially hard not to drink with football season coming up and my bf and friends all tying one on while watching the game. I hang with a big drinking group of friends. I need to be strong!

I forgot about Football season! Pacing myself was never a problem when the game was on, I'd go two quarters on one drink. The problem is of course, we all go to the bars on Sundays to watch every single game...so after the last game goes dark, that's when the nightmare begins. Yeah September will be tough
Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

So good to read all your posts. You are such a great supportive group of people.

I don't know if this helps anyone but in reading your posts I thought of a couple things.
I absolutlely had to take alcohol off the table completely. Not negotiable. Very hard at first but once i got into it i realized its the easiest way to go. The answer is always no and its my job to deal with my inner and outer consequences to that in exchange for the feeling of freedom I get for not ever having to think about it So worth it.

In addition I can't moderate. My brain, body, soul and mind go immediately back to where it left off before quitting. And alcohol is never stealing my soul again.

Also I remember during the first couple weeks when I hit minor frustrations and I'd think:
"Sheesh. Whatd I have to go and quit for? Cause I would be drinking over this today if I hadnt gotten this dumb idea to quit . Damn now I have to find some other way to cope"
LOL Sounds funny I know but it illustrates how the power of commitment to total abstinence helps to quickly forces you to pracrice healthier ways of coping... which in turn helps you stay sober.

Its so inspiring to hear you all. Thank you for letting me peek in here and offer my two cents some. You all are to be commended. Believe me, we know how big this is and are proud of all of you.