Notices

Hi guys

Old 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys

Just joined after managing first month without drinking for 25 years. Finally decided that feeling sick every morning, and increasingly starting to drink all hours when not asleep between Friday evening and Sunday night was not a good idea+ tendency to gamble on line while drunk has magnified the financial cost.

Been good reading a lot of the posts on here as makes you realise how many people have been through almost exactly the same emotions.

My problem is starting to remember the warm glow of drinking, and forgetting the ruin its created in my life. Working on the principal that its only me who can buy the stuff and poor it down my throat though.

Weird getting used to being sober all the time though, while not at work 'drunk' has been my default state of being or so long, and accompanying any activity from the cinema to eating or watching tv that it seems strange.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Geoff, and welcome to SR.

Yes, after getting over the initial difficult few weeks, there was definitely a danger period for me too of only remembering the good stuff.

I had to make some pretty massive lifestyle changes; drop drinking buddies, reconnect with old ones, look into other ways of de-stressing and spending my down time etc.

It really is worth it.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I month sober......fantastic. Well done!

I'm only 7 days sober this time around, but I've found this site invaluable. Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging and I've learned so much from reading others experiences. Its really helped me to put things into perspective.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

Yes, it can feel strange after so many years of abusing alcohol. It takes some getting used to.But is so worth it.

I made myself forget about the warm glow alcohol gave me and started thinking about the next day and the anxiety and fear it would bring. It works for me.
There are programs of recovery you may wish to try, like face-to-face meetings. You'll meet people there who share simalarities with you, and can help you immensly.

Reading here and posting as often as you like can help, too.
Best to you.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR and congrats on one month sober!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Geoff. I had a couple of periods of around 6-8 weeks sober and then did exactly as you suggeted ( felt a few wouldn't hurt, etc ). Both times I ended up back to my old ways shortly afterwards. I'm about 7 months in this time around and still have those feelings from time to time, but the difference this time is that i'm learning to live sober, rather than just not drink. However you go about that it is your business, whether its' a particular recovery method, religion, counseling, or any combination. But I think the real key is finding ways to enjoy your life without drinking. For me it's coming here a lot to reflect on my past, as well as to read and hear about other's struggles and successes.

Best of luck, a month is a great achievement and I truly hope you find a way to keep it going for a long time.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Geoff - there's some awesome advice here
glad to have you with us

D
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on quitting. I find this site very helpful in remembering the bad parts. Changed my thinking from drinking as a reward to drinking is a punishment. Best wishes to you. Keep going.