Notices

Day 8 and feeling like a zombie

Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 and feeling like a zombie

I made it through to day 8 and have met a couple of new problems. Insomnia and anxiety. Last night was rough, not so much because I wanted to drink but because I just could not sleep and my mind was racing until close to daylight. Any advice on how to deal with either or both would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 8! That is awesome! I have recommended this to others, I am not a doctor by any means but my naturopath (who I saw for alcohol recovery tx) recommended a product called Sedaplex that has worked really well for me. It's an herbal formula containing valerian root. You might want to check it out, it's about $27 a bottle. I don't wake up feeling groggy with it and I sleep MUCH better when I take it. I still wake up a couple of times but not nearly as much tossing and turning as when I don't take it. You can also take it throughout the day to help with anxiety. But again, I'm not qualified to prescribe anything....just my own experience and everyone is different. Some folks don't like to "rely" on anything once in recovery, herbal or not. Good luck and stick with it.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I had my doc doing tests etc. But the insomnia and tired feeling took a few weeks and was followed by several weeks of feeling the pink cloud of freedom, and light as a feather. That gets old for those around us. You will be tired like I was for a bit, but hang in there. Starting over is boooooring and worse. Yes, lots of us feel those. I had full blown panic attacks twice, and I was in my fifties and never had those before. See, I was afraid of all the feelings and fears. Yes, I had the thought of giving up because sobriety took some time before enough healing overcame the initial PAWS. Hang in there, I have three years in September and am so glad I did. It gets wayyyy better. Mine were bad because I drank from wake up to passing out every day. I had the shakes so bad I had to get some scotch down in my coffee on wake up. Sometimes it took two tries before it would stay down. Don't worry if you weren't that bad. Relapse and eventually you will be.

Big congrats for making it! You have you know. Just stay the course, and live.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey thanks Buddha!! I have actually heard of valerian root before. Good things of course! I will definitely consider sedaplex if things don't get any better!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My insomnia took months to get over. Your body will get back on schedule. You just need to be patient.
Anxiety I still deal with, but it decreased as time went on too.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement itchy! It definitely helps knowing that others have experienced these things and have beaten them! I have done this before a few years ago. I was sober for 105 days but crashed and burned once I thought I had control as one of my other posts mentioned. That being said, my experience was way different then and now that I look back not nearly as difficult. Then again that was like 27,383 beers ago! lol
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I made it through to day 6 and have had the insomnia problem for the last few days. I don't get to sleep until 4 or 5 am despite taking sleeping pills and drinking milk. I am thinking it will just take some more time before I get into a regular sleep pattern.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6 Eleni!! I think youre probably right about this taking time. Its like I was to tired to sleep.. On a lighter note though once I finally get to sleep, I actually sleep and haven't had any crazy dreams or shaky legs in a few days. lol So I guess if I want to stay in the positive that's my ammo! Keep on keepin on, double digits are right around the corner!!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someone suggested melatonin to help get to sleep, anyone have any experience?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just posted about my insomnia and a few people said to try melatonin. Can't be worse than NyQuil, Tylenol PM or prescriptions so I am willing to consider it once I'm sure it's safe (I'm 36 weeks pregnant). I know my mom takes it and swears by the stuff. Worth a shot perhaps! Congrats on days 8-9! So awesome. I have 9 months. It does get better and I haven't had the insomnia the whole time. The beginning was bad. I was so restless and anxious. Tell yourself this too shall pass. I have to keep repeating it, but I know it's true.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks! and congrats Babyjane!! 4 more weeks to go!! I remember counting down the days until my daughter was born!! My sis actually takes melatonin and says it works very well.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on the 8 days.

As to the rest, well I firmly believe that the problem with alcoholism is centred in the mind and that we drink to excess because we are in emotional pain. Which the booze does, at least to start with, numb but its a disaster for us because it actually makes the pain worse in many ways.

So you take away the booze and the pain is still there.

For me the trick is to think of this thing in terms of the 'alcohol' and then the 'ism'. For the former then the whole just dont pick up the first drink and ask for, and accept, help to make that happen just for today works wonders. In terms of the 'ism' bit, which is the real issue in my case, then that takes a bit more time.

But we all have to work that in our own ways. Personally I am working the 12 step programme within AA and whilst its getting some results I know that its a life long issue but ultimately its the ism part that I have to get to grips with if I want to live a truly sober life.

However, one day at a time and all that.

Good luck with it and everything crossed for you.