Notices

What is this INCREDIBLE feeling?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What is this INCREDIBLE feeling?

I realize that everyone is different and the stages of sobriety won't be the same. However, I've been experiencing something recently that, if is something that can be looked forward to, may help the newcomers. I'm hoping that some old timers and anyone who has had a fair amount of sobriety under their belt can offer some thoughts. If you're new to sobriety and are experiencing the same please chime in too!

This is day 64 for me. I was a weekend binge drinker supplementing days in between if I could. This is the longest that I've been sober in 35 years. This feeling is also something that can't be the pink cloud because I know what that is and I've felt the euphoria. It's actually quite different and I'll try my best to explain it. It's more physical (probably coupled with mentality as well).

I have been waking up to this sensation that I can only describe as feeling soothed and clean. Not every single day but I felt it once or twice towards the end of my first 30 days and then both days last weekend and then this morning. I would liken it to the feeling that you would get when you go to the lake swimming all day and are in wet clothes. It's the end of the day and you change out of the wet clothes into some nice, dry, warm clothes and you sit in front of a fire. You're tired from the days events but very soothed by the warmth of the dry clothes and the fire. Another way to describe it would be when you are freezing cold and you crawl into a nice puffy bed between clean and crisp sheets that has had an electric blanket going to prewarm it. You slip into sheer and utter comfort and say "ahhhhhhhhhhhh". It's like all is right with the world. Oddly enough, this is the same feeling that I would get in the only part that I miss about drinking which was the first 30 minutes when you felt the peace (or what I thought was peace) from the initial buzz. But now, I'm experiencing it completely sober.

Does this sound nuts? I am assuming that this is a combination of my mental attitude of starting to feel happiness and true feelings as they're meant to be felt due to the healing of my brain? Where I also used to have a tightness in my stomach, that's now completely gone, replaced by complete relaxation. Perhaps this is the healing of my intestines and liver after the damage that I was inflicting?

Neither here nor there if I had known that this was one of the perks of sobriety, after I got past the initial abstaining when having urges, I would have done this years ago. I also know that I am going to hold this feeling near and dear because it's going to be a very useful tool throughout my life when the AV comes calling.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't wait for all you smart a**es out there to say "YEAH, IT'S CALLED TRUE SOBRIETY!"

If this is common it may give those that are newcomers something to really look forward to. I know, everyone is different, but hey, anything that's positive is never a bad thing!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know that feeling Yes, I think it must be real and true because its not stopped for me. I'm not sure what the pink cloud is, but there is a genuine sense of well-being that is soothing like you've just described, and it is ongoing for me. It is why I don't want to drink ever again. I don't want to go back to those desperate feelings I used to feel. This sobriety is way better!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thank you Jennie! I was waiting for even one iota of confirmation that this thing that I was feeling wasn't all in my head.

I bet that the experience is just a bit different for all. However, I thought it made sense that if we can laugh and find similarities about our actions when drinking and identify that there must also be commonalities in the stages of getting sober.

A word to the newcomers, can't promise when this will happen but if this is something that gets experienced by most believe me, you will want to take this ride and hang in there!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi LadyBlue! That is awesome. I'm just at 17 days now myself, but this is the most sober I've been in 15 years. I feel great. A little up and down once in a while, but I'm told that will happen early on when I'm getting sober. Either way, I've been really happy most of the time. I don't know what the explanation is, but the simplest thing I can come up with is I'M SOBER. I know it won't always be this easy and there are going to be some rough days ahead. But on these really good days, I don't ask why or how, I just accept it and thank God for helping me get to where I am today. I never thought it would be possible to be this sober for this long and feel this good. Thank God for SR. Thank God for AA. And thank you, Ladyblue, because on those first few days coming to this site, you were a great big help and I really appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful

I having been having that feeling for the last few weeks LadyBlue. What it feels like to me is an inner calm and peace within myself that I haven't felt in a long, long time. It's like the chatter in my head has gone away as has the constant anxiety I used to have. There is no longer a knot in my stomach. There is no worry about what bad might happen today, tomorrow, or next week or month. I am OK just being me.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I felt that way when things started to come together after my drinking stopped. My peace started when I remembered what happened the previous night for several weeks. When trying to get honest with myself I got a whiff when I did what some people suggested that I didn't want to do. Because they said KEEP COMING I heard what I needed to hear and slowed down the "ah buts." And on and on. Probably the best thing for me was getting comfortable in MY own skin the way I looked for alcohol to do. BE WELL
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are many feelings Ive experienced
thru out my 22yrs sobriety. Those feeling
determine were Im at in my recovery. It
keeps me in check with what's working or
not with my own program.

Then too, some of those out of cink feelings
may just be menopause....lol

One recent feeling I experienced was just
yesterday....I think.... I was watching
an LMN movie and it had AA in it. One of
those movies with alcohol, going to meetings,
recovery....anyway......in one scene they were
saying the Serenity Prayer and all of a sudden
I was overwhelmed with emotion building up
inside and tears came to my eyes. I recited the
prayer along with them and just sat there for
a moment and felt sooooo connected.

I guess im just so grateful to have a program
of recovery to live by and can connect to and
be a part of and be able to share my own ESH
to others in recovery just like you.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I liken it to having a hard day and then I have a shower and I'm all nice & clean then sliding between crisp, freshly laundered, sweet smelling sheets
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I love this place, it's just that simple!

Great responses!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same way, LadyBlue.

When I was drinking I felt pulled in different directions all the time, stressed, harried. I thought that was just life....

Now, the best way I can describe it is that the baseline has changed. "Stressful" things still happen, I'm still busy, but my baseline feeling is one of peace and calm. I can approach these events and tasks in a measured and rational way.

Like you, I really am amazed by the change. I never want it to end. And, how great: it is totally within our power to ensure that it does not end. We just need to not drink...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

Sounds like the real thing, LadyBlue.

It's a good thing for newcomers to hear, so thanks for sharing your experience. Sobriety is often more than getting back to "normal" (whatever that is.) In some ways it's even better because we learn to be more grateful, optimistic people because of what we've gone through.

So I concur. If you're struggling through the strain and stress of early sobriety, or just sobriety in general, it's worth going through the difficulty once you get the hang of it. Very, very worth it.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi LadyBlue,

Thank you for your awesome post! I've also been experiencing similar types of feelings since getting sober. Those moments are like little bits of heaven. I really appreciate your wonderful descriptions of those feelings, ...it's comforting to know that others are experiencing them too.

Congrats on your 64 days, and wishing you a multitude of magnificent moments as you described.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get it too!
I am 533 days sober I think.

Sometimes I just cannot wait to get home, have a shower, get in bed and read here at SR.
I have become a real home bird!

I work away a lot too.
Its still the same - I like to get comfy in bed and drop off to sleep.

I don't know how I put up with me before!

I used to just crash out asleep, make up still on, sometimes still fully dressed in bed. I had no recollection of going to bed. My teeth and mouth felt disgusting. I looked horrific.

I know what your feeling and it does continue xx
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeh, I just heard about that pinkcloud thing too. I didn't have it either. It's being well. Not sick. It gets better and better for me. 3 yrs, 4 1/2 months sober. Like before I ever drank. Sweeeeet.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
I get it too!
I am 533 days sober I think.

Sometimes I just cannot wait to get home, have a shower, get in bed and read here at SR.
I have become a real home bird!

I work away a lot too.
Its still the same - I like to get comfy in bed and drop off to sleep.

I don't know how I put up with me before!

I used to just crash out asleep, make up still on, sometimes still fully dressed in bed. I had no recollection of going to bed. My teeth and mouth felt disgusting. I looked horrific.

I know what your feeling and it does continue xx
This thread is a real inspiration. I'm one of the ones struggling to get past Day 1. So this peaceful feeling sounds like discovering an enchanted kingdom or something.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by DoloresHaze View Post
This thread is a real inspiration. I'm one of the ones struggling to get past Day 1. So this peaceful feeling sounds like discovering an enchanted kingdom or something.
You don't know how much I was hoping for that DoloresHaze! It does eventually happen, you just have to hang in there!

SnwFlower hit the nail on the head, it's a little piece of heaven. I didn't realize I was capable of ever feeling this way again.

It blows me away to understand that this is what was missed all these years and thinking that alcohol was what made me happy. This is HOW we're supposed to feel and we took that away from ourselves!

HANG ON AND HANG FAST, THIS DOES HAPPEN!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

LadyBlue, day 64? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had that "good feeling" a lot in my 4 years sober. I think it's our mind and body thanking us for not pouring the poison in anymore.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Look LadyBlue, you have 2 , two members,
Neferkamichael and myself representing the
fine state of Louisiana supporting you in recovery.

How's that for a little Southern Hospitality.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sometimes i have days where i can help smiling , a big broad grin , i've been through the war and this is peace and freedom .

There are blue days occasionally but they pass , there is no longer, seething emotion a funk i can't shift .

Sometimes when i remember how lucky i am to have made it to here the whole world comes alive and i feel the wonder of the world like in the wizzard of Oz where i come from the black and grey world of alcoholism and then i'm in an Oz world of technicolour sobriety .

It's why i bang on about ringing the freedom bell Living fully in freedom till the day i die

Bestwishes, m