Notices

New to this: don't trust myself

Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this: don't trust myself

Okay.... Hello everyone.
I will explain my reasoning for being here.
It is simple, I believe I am headed down a dangerous road if I do not address certain issues head on right now.
I graduated college two years ago, and as with most students, lead quite the party mad lifestyle right through my years there. After graduating, I couldn't get a job, when I did get one, it was one I did not enjoy. I became quite depressed and would often leave work and head to a bar and have a Few drinks each day after work. I would be arranging my weekend on Facebook on Monday morning! I am still friendly with many old college friends who constantly want to meet up for drinks.

I would arrange to go for an after work drink with a colleague once a week, or failing that, an old college friend. When he/she went for the bus, I would be walking to the bus slowly hoping that I've missed it, so that I can go back for "one more pint." until the next bus.
(I tend to blank out the inevitable taxis home..)

My weekends consist of binge drinking. Friday + Saturday can at times be a long blur of a day. I can go a couple of days without taking a single drink,
But when I drink, I am seemingly incapable of simply having a "casual pint."
It nearly always gets out of hand.

I recently changed jobs (two months) and now have a better job.
I am in advertising sales, which is notorious for "client drinks culture"
I often have to attend various receptions and get invited to drinks with various
Potential clients. Peer pressure can play a part. I am here because quite simply, Given the above, this is why i'm here, I am concerned at where this might lead. I don't believe I am yet at the stage where I can't go a day without drinking, but I no longer trust myself when I do go for "one drink."

I have decided that I should cut drink out completely, but I have never
Done it before. I seek the advice of those more experienced with this.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! There are many ways to stay sober. Some do counseling, others do AA or other programs like SMART or Lifering, Some just come here as their program for sober living. It can be done if you want to be sober more than you want to drink.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, you have come to the right place. You ultimately know what you need to do.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, you are right; ultimately I need to stop now before things get bad.This is quite a big deal for me to even be posting here. Whether it was arrogance, or ignorance, I think I've been in denial for a while now to be honest. It got to the point recently where I was looking through my phone randomly messaging people to go out with after work. One of them pointed out to me that I'd been out pretty much every night, bar two or three nights for the three weeks prior. I hadn't even really thought about it.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hamilton. You've found a great place for support. We all understand how it feels to face the truth about our drinking habits. It takes courage to admit what needs to be done - and some never see what alcohol is doing to their lives.

I was the same - no 'off switch'. When I drank I never knew how the evening would end, or eveb if I'd be able to stop in time to get to work the next day. I'd promise myself to have just one or two - but there was no such thing for me. Once it was in my system, dangerous & unpredictable things were likely to happen. It had to end or I was going to destroy myself. I'm so glad you've reached the conclusion that you need to stop. I hope being here with us will help you stay strong. You can do it Hamilton.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hamilton and Welcome,

Denial is a huge part of addiction, so you're not alone in that department. We do understand how hard this is, and it's great that you've come here seeking support.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm under no illusions, I know it will be difficult. But I am willing and wanting to give it a try!