Notices

Is this normal?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

Hello. I was a moderate to heavy drinker for about 4 years and have been sober now for 16 days. I've been exercising and eating well during this time. At this point I expected to still be anxious and have difficulties sleeping, among other mental issues, but is the weakness and dizziness supposed to last this long? And if it is, when does it begin to improve? I have ongoing anxiety issues to begin with and my worrying about whether the weakness is normal or due to something else is only making things worse!

-Kate
Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of all well done on the 16 days.

As to what is 'normal' well nothing is really. Thats the point

My own advice would be to go and see your Doctor. Alcohol can mask all sorts of things, both physical and mental because ultimately its just a pain-killer. Take it away and you still have the underlying issues that you were drinking on.

But use this period of sobriety to get to the real issues. Nobody just drinks excessively for nothing. Drinking has to have had a purpose at some stage and in my (limited) experience its almost always as a form of pain killer. Now you have to deal with the reasons why you drank.

Good luck and keep on coming back here.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR and congratulations on 16 days sobriety.

Acute withdrawal symptoms can last several weeks.If you are concerned seek medical advice.

Wishing you well.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Kate

I think any sort of weakness of dizziness should be checked out - it's probably nothing, but it's best to be safe

D
Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please see your doctor to be sure.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hi Kate

I think any sort of weakness of dizziness should be checked out - it's probably nothing, but it's best to be safe

D

the alcohol could have been masking some health problems. please take dee's advise and see a doctor.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I did actually see a doctor a few weeks back although I didn't talk about the alcohol. They did an exam and blood work and everything came back normal. I was definitely using the alcohol in part to numb my anxiety and depression so perhaps I'll consider going to a psychologist at long last.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on your sobriety journey! Check out PAWS post acute withdrawal symptoms. Also, alcohol is a depressant. It's hard to tell because it seems to make you feel better because you are craving it (while drinking). The further I got away from it, the less my depression and anxiety. Also I use urge surfing. Google it. It is a way of relaxing thru anxiety. It helps me avoid panic attacks and gets easier as you go along. I haven't had any panic attacks for over a year. This helped me alot. Keep going! You are doing great!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Markinside View Post

I have ongoing anxiety issues to begin with and my worrying about whether the weakness is normal or due to something else is only making things worse!

-Kate
hi Kate
I wouldn't worry too much at such an early time in your recovery
most issues clear up in a month or two
if not
see your doctor again and tell them about the drinking problem
and your desire to be and stay sober

Mountainman
Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great job on 16 days!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cormat View Post
First of all well done on the 16 days.

As to what is 'normal' well nothing is really. Thats the point

My own advice would be to go and see your Doctor. Alcohol can mask all sorts of things, both physical and mental because ultimately its just a pain-killer. Take it away and you still have the underlying issues that you were drinking on.

But use this period of sobriety to get to the real issues. Nobody just drinks excessively for nothing. Drinking has to have had a purpose at some stage and in my (limited) experience its almost always as a form of pain killer. Now you have to deal with the reasons why you drank.

Good luck and keep on coming back here.
Excellent advice! My wife told me that normal is a setting on the dryer. Brace yourself and don't run away. The reasons most alcoholics drink is to escape from OUR FEELINGS!~ And there are so many we need to work on and become comfortable in our own skin as we progress. BE WELL