Notices

I'm afraid I can't stop drinking

Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm afraid I can't stop drinking

I go to meetings, I take campral, I hang out with sober people..... I went one week of no drinking. Last night, I relapsed. I drank. I;'m so terrified that this addiction is something I can't overcome. I want sobriety... That week was awesome.... but I can't stop. I'm young (ish) and I want to have freedom from alcohol, but I failed. I relapsed. And elapsed bad. I don't even know how I got home.....

I hate this.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sobrietyftw

the good news is I've never seen anyone who really wants to be sober fail.

the not so good news is I've seen a lot of people underestimate the time and effort that it takes for them to stay sober.

look at what you're doing for your recovery - start thinking about what you can add.

Have you considered a sponsor, or getting more involved with your meetings?
How much support do you have?
do you reach out enough?

do you have a plan of action for when cravings hit?

What other changes have you made to you life besides simply not drinking?

are you still hanging with the same people and doing the same things you used to as a drinker?

Looking at things like that will help shore up your recovery and make you stronger for the next time temptation calls

D
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

I agree with everything Dee said, especially about getting a sponsor if you don't have one. They have years of experience staying sober and can help you so much. My sponsor has made a huge difference in my life. There is a big difference between trying to just not drink and go to meetings and letting someone with lots of sobriety show you the way.

Don't give up ftw!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Never give up! Keep trying til you get it right. But you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got 24 hours sober. You can do it! We must have faith and keep trying! Every day is a new day.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The good news is you only have to stay sober for 24 hours. Then once you do that just go another 24 hours. No matter what just don't drink. You feel bad don't drink you feel good.
Don't drink. You feel numb don't drink.

Just for today don't drink tomorrow can worry about itself lol.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise helps me when I have cravings. Never give up.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I normally run 8 miles a day! The true cure I need is for being at rest. What makes you want to drink, sobrietyftw? My trigger is being at home–which makes it a little rough. If I get home at 5pm or 11pm, I want to have a drink.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Relapsing is horrible I know. Many of us have stumbled along the way.

Today is a new day, time to look at why it went wrong and fix it. You can do this x
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You got knocked down..but you're not down for the count. Great advice here and I truly hope it helps to arm you with more strength to keep on keepin' on. It's a fight and you aren't done. Focus on staying sober today.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think if you asked anyone here they would say 'if I can do it so can you'. We all had that point where we thought it was impossible, I know I certainly did after years of trying.

I say trying but really my best attempts to quit before I found SR involved waiting around for some sort of miracle. I think I was wanting to get rid of the urges before I stopped drinking, I was always surprised that I still wanted to drink, but really you need to just not drink and eventually the urges lessen. I found it incredibly hard to just put the drink down and the effort it took to stay sober was huge, but at that point I really was willing to put the work in because I had had enough.

Is there anything else you can add to your plan... meetings, posting on here regularly, one on one support?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW!!!! I feel so overwhelmed by all your support! It's true I don't reach out or speak up in meetings because i'm embarrassed. I do need a sponsor though! I can't do this alone & as much as my hubs tries to help, he can't understand because he has no issues with drinking. At all. The man can go months without drinking and when he does, it's rare he'll have more than one.

Thank you all so much. I was so disappointed and disgusted with myself, but I have to keep trying. That week of sobriety was great. I have never regretted not drinking, but I have most certainly regretted drinking!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Har0622ley

I am dealing with the same issues right now. Its not the people places or things. Its me being my own worst enemy. I to want to stop and the first time I quit it was no problem. This time I'm really struggaling. I haven't tried campral though did it help you at all?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Har0622ley View Post
I am dealing with the same issues right now. Its not the people places or things. Its me being my own worst enemy. I to want to stop and the first time I quit it was no problem. This time I'm really struggaling. I haven't tried campral though did it help you at all?
I really had my hopes set on having campral give me that extra boost in my sobriety. I can't say it's done much, honestly. I've heard positive things from other people, so maybe it's just me.