Notices

managing triggers

Old 07-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

managing triggers

I'm on day 6 and feeling a little stronger every day!!!! Yay!

Insomnia, weird dreams and night sweats persist. Really irritating I might add. I just want a good nights sleep!!!! : )

Anyway, I posted earlier about weird triggers for me.

1) The magazine and TV articles entice me. Drinks look really good......Ok, well that's easy to manage. Change channels or throw the magazine across the room.

2) Last night I felt tired, so I laid down early to see if it would happen. My husband came to bed a few hours later. I did tell him he can continue to drink if he chooses (although he would completely quit if I required it). Anyway, he came to bed, slowly fell asleep and in the night air his breathing had the boozy smell of alcohol. And it was a little intoxicating. What? I couldn't believe I was sniffing the air for a whiff. I did get up out of bed, and moved to the cold clean air of the living room and surfed the net.

So, I can sit in a restaurant and not have a craving, be alone for times with a bottle of wine and not feel a thing, but ads and my husbands boozy breath get me revved up? What gives?

Anyone else have weird triggers?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Never had triggers like that but my biggest trigger was being bored. Drinking was just something to do.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is only day 6 for you Bella.

There are going to be lots of triggers.
It takes time.

I take the alcohol adverts with a pinch on salt.

For me its not a certain drink advertised that makes my party or someone else's party go well. For me it leads to blackouts, poor behaviour and then weeks of agonising over what I did or might have said.

As for your partnering breathing booze fumes, it just used to make me even more aware of the horrible side effects of drinking.

I wish you the best xx
Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Lots of triggers for me in the early days. I am an avid reader, and so much chick lit involves women meeting over huge glasses of Chardonnay! And in the soaps they all seem to meet in a pub or bar. I know it's just a vehicle to get cast together, but they always seem to have an alcoholic drink in their hand. Hubby smelling of drink doesn't put me up nor down.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everything triggered me in the early days Bella - but then again, I drank for any reason too....

It will get easier

D
Old 07-28-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old pubs with some kegs outside would trigger me.

Also that smell of hops (or whatever) wafting in the air.

Many things.........good to be forewarned.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thunderstorms. At one point I posted saying that a thunderstorm was coming and I don't do those sober. It wasn't the fear of a thunderstorm, it was the anticipation. I loved to be fully dosed/drunk when they came so I could experience them properly. I've since experienced thunderstorms fully sober and they're just as exciting if not more. I guess that would fall under the category of "weird trigger".