Notices

Aaaaarrrrgh!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aaaaarrrrgh!

Well I've finally joined! I've been watching this site for ages and I've finally joined. What a relief! I already feel like I've taken a huge step just by joining.

I'm Natasha. I'm 37 and I live in Southampton, UK.

Probably, since my daughter was born five years ago I could count on two hands the amountof days I haven't had a drink. I'm not saying I've been drunk every day, but I'm const thinking about wine and when I wake up in the morning I'm instantly looking forward to my drink at 7pm when my daughter is in bed.

Tomorrow is going to be my first day sober and I'm determined to make it happen this time. I've tried before, but not actually tried (if that makes sense! )

I look forward to posting on here to let you know that I managed 24 hours sober, then 48 and so on!

Wish me luck and good luck to everyone else on their journey.

Xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Definitely! Good luck to you!

One of the nice things about being on SR is that you can have something else to look forward to, instead of a glass of wine. You can share your progress here and we'll be sincerely cheering you on the whole way.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Definitely! Good luck to you!

One of the nice things about being on SR is that you can have something else to look forward to, instead of a glass of wine. You can share your progress here and we'll be sincerely cheering you on the whole way.
Thanks so much.
Xxx
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Welcome Natasha ,

Be careful of the withdrawl from alcohol it can have some dangerous effects .

Good luck ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome Natasha! This site is awesome. What's your plan to stay sober? There are a lot of them and it is good to have one to help layout a path or you.

Lynn
Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR!

There is always someone here to lean on, if you need help Natasha, so don't hesitate to ask for it.

The decision you have made will be the most important in your life. Congratulations on taking the first step towards Sobriety!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I feel so supported already!

Xxxx
Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Natasha -- I only joined yesterday as well ! I so remember that feeling of getting the children bathed and in bed and sitting down for a " well deserved " drink !!!! Ha but then the children grew up and hated (I found out later) me drinking to excess !! I stopped 2 years ago ----26 months actually !! The children are now 22 and 25 and are so happy I don't drink any more and of course so is my husband . I thought I was ok but obviously not !!! I m so glad I made the decision to stop and so will you be because your daughter will not always go to bed at 7 !! and then all those years of being there for her all day and all night !! I love the feeling now when I can go and pick any body up in the car after 7 oclock .! Good luck.... its not an easy journey but TALK truthfully to people about how you feel and that's why I think its great that you have joined this site . If you drink a lot you may need help with medication from the doctor and if you do drink a lot lot lot be very careful of just stopping all of a sudden !!Its too much of a shock for your body !!! xxxxxxxx
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Natasha & welcome to SR. I joined when I was your age and now, one year later I am 9 months sober. Time really does fly. We are all here if you need us. Hang tough. My challenging days were 3 (3 day hump?!), 10 & 30. Once I had a full moon cycle behind me I felt more confident. Reach out when you need a chat as it's certainly not an easy ride., but so worth it.

Sx
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're all sooooooo great. Thanks so much.

Xxcxc
Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

You've made the right choice by joining SoberRecovery!

Try making a daily commitment to check in on this site. There is a thread for daily check-in: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html

I find that I am always inspired to remain sober by reading posts in the Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information forum.

God bless you!

CF
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MTD

Hi..welcome. I my self made the decision of enough. I had had many problems with alcohol and just recently quit. I know this time is for ever. My emotions are so raw right now that I know I have seen alcohol in its true light. Very dangerous to and alcoholics life. Stay strong. I grew up with an alcoholic mother and have no fond memories of her just the hate. You children are worth a sober mom. Happy journey
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Natasha : ) I related a lot with your post. Although I have no children I too "loved my wine". I got through my days in order to greet the night by turning the "lights on" with wine. I too did not necessarily get drunk every night either. Sometimes it was a couple glasses (although hardly 5 oz'ers)...often more. And well, it could turn into an all out binge if I had no responsibility the next morn ..and heck, sometimes even if I had responsibility the next morning. I realize I wasn't one who held her liquor all the well...as in was very visibly drunk on one bottle of wine (not that I didn't drink more than that on occasions), so perhaps that lent itself to the fact that I suffered no physical withdrawal when I quit. Despite the fact I have been drinking heavy for decades. I was not physically dependent..but emotionally...hell yeah.

This is a fantastic place to glean wisdom and support in your sober journey. Bright blessings to ya.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Natasha

There are lots of us here from the UK. People from all over the world.

If it was not for SR I would not have 530 days without a drink.

I was very much like you. I have a little girl, she's 3.

I used to count the minutes until she was in bed so I could get started on my wine.
I woke up everyday and felt hideous.
I would say to myself, no more, but then the by the time 4pm came round, I was planning to go and buy wine, all good intentions lost.

It was like rinse and repeat every day.

I was also short tempered, depressed, no energy and felt very unhealthy.

Here I am 530 days later.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, telling the whole truth, my thoughts on wine and alcohol are that it is vile tasting and vile smelling stuff, that I cannot believed dominated my life so much.

I have no problems with other people drinking it, but the thought of me having a glass of wine makes me want to be physically sick.

I don't even like going down the booze isles at the supermarket as it makes me feel so sickly. I also feel like I hate to get out as fast as I can as I have no business there.

It took some time.
I went to some AA meetings too, but its difficult when you have no-one to watch your child.

I come to SR everyday, sometimes multiple times a day. Its like my second home.

For me at the start I had to fill evenings that I would normally have slumped on sofa, in front of TV, drinking.

I smashed my favourite glass, got off the sofa and got busy.

I cleaned, I sorted junk for car boots, I made hot chocolates with marshmallows, I had long baths, I went out for drives in my car with my music on, I cooked for the freezer, I read, I went to bed and came to read on here.
I just did anything I could to keep busy and keep away from wine.

I told no-one.
I made no bold explanations or promises.
If people asked why I was not drinking I said I had challenged myself to give up for a month. Then just increased it.

Most people were intrigued because they felt the same and they could not remember when they last had a drink free night or week.

Its the best choice I ever made.
I still take it a day at a time.

I really do wish you the best
xxxx
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by xpander76 View Post
Well I've finally joined! I've been watching this site for ages and I've finally joined. What a relief! I already feel like I've taken a huge step just by joining.
Yes, you have taken a huge step.

I stumbled on this site a couple of months ago. Can't recall the circumstances. I see patients late into the evening, and SR has become part of my nightly routine; helps me wind down before I go to bed.

It seems that this site is a source of strength, compassion and support for many people.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sasha I have just read your message I giggled because you did exactly what I did to fill my drinking hand !! you have got to keep busy and how funny I drank hot chocolate with marsh mallows . Its because your body craves sugar when you stop drinking ! I then ate a crunchie every night with a cup of tea in bed and went to bed early ! then Fry s bars and now its smarties 2 years later !! Also I still managed to lose 5 stone because I wasn't drinking huge amounts of cider or wine any more so something else good came out of stopping too !! ***** !!! XXXXXX good luck to all xx
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know!!

In the early days I used to have really sweet hot chocolate as I needed the sugar. I also used to eat Rainbow drops - those hideously bright coloured bits of rice puff I think - with my hot chocolate.

I drink loads of tea now.

I think my sugar cravings have got less and less as time went on.

xx
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I am a newbie myself. Joined 6 days ago and have been alcohol free for almost 3 days. No major withdrawal symptoms...so far! Good luck!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ha Ha Natasha our advice then is tea or hot chocolate lots of different varieties !!! AND sweeties ! and your daughter will like that but always hide a little supply --woe betide any body eating my smarties. And early to bed with all your supplies --- You are going to be very healthy !! apart from the choc ! but I did lose 5 stone very quickly and your skin and whole being will be brighter !!and Sasha I shared a bag of those rainbow puffs the other day with the children in my class -- lovely rubbish !!!!! xxxxx
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken time out to reply. This is just brilliant and I feel excited about tomorrow being day one. I'm really looking forward to posting on here tomorrow night to say I did it!

Thank you so so very much.

Xxxxxxxxxxx