SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New comer intro (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/302278-new-comer-intro.html)

amsun26 07-28-2013 04:47 AM

New comer intro

Hey everyone, found this site through a friend who sent me a link to a story and i joined. Newly out of rehab and 54 days clean and sober...what can i say? wow, im really shocked. First time ive been sober for more then a couple few days here and there for over 30 years. Im feeling pretty good, i haven't had the physical need to use yet but i do get that thought once in a while, that someday i might be able to handle just one. Constantly having to recheck my thought process on that one.

visch1 07-28-2013 04:54 AM

Hi. My thinking process had to be constantly be focused on the fact that I could NOT handle even a half of one unless I was willing to return automatically to all the crap I had left behind. So I don't pick up the first drink so I don't have to try to get sober again. BE WELL

least 07-28-2013 10:42 AM

:welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support here. :)

Hevyn 07-28-2013 12:00 PM

Welcome amsun! :) Great to have you here with us.

That was hard for me, too - admitting I could never control what I drank. Once it hit my system all bets were off. It was never just one - always ten. I went on like that for 30 yrs. before I finally realized willpower alone could never save me. You can do this amsun.

erfra7 07-28-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by visch1 (Post 4092334)
Hi. My thinking process had to be constantly be focused on the fact that I could NOT handle even a half of one unless I was willing to return automatically to all the crap I had left behind. So I don't pick up the first drink so I don't have to try to get sober again. BE WELL

my thought exactly ( is like visch1 read my mind ) :lmao

shakeel 07-28-2013 12:12 PM

The minute you start entertaining the idea that someday you can handle a couple of drinks, that day usually arrives sooner than you wanted it. in other words, I would stay sober for a while than the thought comes to mind that a year from now, I will try "getting away" with few drinks I end up relapsing few days later. the idea of having a drink has to be SMASHED. read the big book over and over. it's one of those books you don't just read once.

ImperfectlyMe 07-28-2013 12:23 PM

Welcome amsum

Dave42001 07-28-2013 12:48 PM

Nice work on your time!! Keep up the good work!!! Huge accomplishment!! Kudos to you!!

Dee74 07-28-2013 02:49 PM

welcome amsun :)

I tried to stay focused in today - tomorrow would arrive soon enough.

I worked hard, made a lot of changes and gradually I found I really liked being sober, it was the Real Me, and the idea of drinking again, even just one etc - lost its lustre.

Hope it will be the same for you too :)