Notices

Made it through 10 days at the beach!!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through 10 days at the beach!!

Well I did something I don't think I've ever done since I'm maybe 15. I made it through 10 days at our beach house sober. Today is my 111 sober day.
Don't get me wrong it was hard! I thought and missed my daily beach drinking routine. Packing a few beers for the beach, spending the day making sand castles with the kids, tanning, going back opening several bottles of wine grilling. Grabbing a few after dinner drinks and sitting on the beach at dusk! The thought were with me everyday! But I won! I did all those things minus the alcohol Did I miss it? YES!!!! Did it ruin my trip? NOPE!

I'm so thankful for thus site I came very close to slipping while here a few times! There was one day in perticular I was soooo intent on drinking. Perfect summer day all kids playing all parents having drinks by the pool. I had been working on my husband to say drink to me. Then he said...."if you want to drink then have A drink! Have ONE glass of wine."
I thought about it for several minutes and realized I couldn't have ONE drink! It just simply never could I would want more and môre!!!
In that moment I remembered why I dint drink why I am where I am! I felt left out of the "party" but when I was drinking I FELT LEFT OUT of LIFE!!!
Thank you all for being here every day couldn't do it without each one if you!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that is an amazing achievement.

we go on a beach trip next week and i am already nervous. what to do with all that TIME??
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job Imperfect!!!!! Glad you enjoyed you vacation while staying strong! I know it must have been tough.

Awesome for you, and so proud of you!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. The beach situation reminds me of a healthy remember when. I had visitation with my son and for several years in a row we went out fishing on the weekends with no alcohol and me newly sober by several years. One day when he was about 10 be wanted to go to the big beach, The National Seashore along the ocean and I agreed. Packing a lunch it suddenly hit me about how do I go to the beach without beer as always in my drinking years beer and beach were an automatic combination. It took 5-10 seconds to say "dummy there are other things that people drink." Fortunately this thinking pattern happens very seldom. BE WELL
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I thought about it for several minutes and realized I couldn't have ONE drink!
My crazy old alkie brain would never be satisfied with one either . It was always drink untill my brain unravelled or be more angsty because i couldn't reach my chemical nirodha .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-28-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What an accomplishment, Inperfectly! That was actually a goal of mine this summer, but I didn't make it..at all. Each summer we rent a beach house in my hometown, where I have many many friends that I drink with. I wanted to be able spend that week sober, go up the beach and watch the sunrise with my daughter instead of waking up hungover. I didn't do it this year. But I'm 10 days sober now, so I will go for it next year.

Your time at your beach house without drinking is living proof that we CAN change ourselves and our lives!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's nothing like a good sober vacation - the first of many for you, Inperfectly

Congrats

D
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a beach vacation coming up next week. Friends there who are BIG time drinkers, whole families of them. Going to be a test.

Anyone have strategies or suggestions?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What worked for me was staying connected to SR. It will be very easy to slip. Undo all your hard work! No one wants to start all over again. Remind yourself why you quit in the first place lessgravity, I noticed two things while being one of the sober ones. There are "normal" drinkers and then there's "us"! I watched the normies (I know alcoholic behavior) they were fine drinking two drinks through the entire afternoon actually having to throw drinks away because they got hot between sips. That has NEVER happened to me.
Use your vacation time to learn more about yourself that's what I did. I started thinking maybe I'm not so bad!!! But not so bad people can just have two drinks in the sun
I can not and that's ok! Because I'm not going to drink any!
Be well
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What an excellent post! I am so happy to see this , YOU DID IT!

and THIS!!!

Then he said...."if you want to drink then have A drink! Have ONE glass of wine."
I thought about it for several minutes and realized I couldn't have ONE drink! It just simply never could I would want more and môre!!!
IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been there and it's soooooooo hard, you were given permission to allow yourself ONE and you had the fight and the willpower to see your way to the truth and ACCEPT IT.

That's truly stellar and it speaks a lot to where you are with sobriety.

I am so happy for you and understand the joy that you're feeling

and let's be real, the agony while you were making that decision really sucked didn't it (for lack of a better word), BUT, the elation that you felt once you had come to that conclusion and was at ease with it far surpasses the suckiness, doesn't it? It's a VICTORY! YOU WON! When that happens you want to shout from the rafters "I CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lady blue your post moved me!!!!! Thank you for your words meant more then you could ever know!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

That is really an achievement! I live near the beach and haven't gone yet because I think of booze when I think of the beach. Really good job!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by InperfectlyMe View Post
Lady blue your post moved me!!!!! Thank you for your words meant more then you could ever know!
Tis what this is all about because in turn, that comment back, helped me tremendously as well

I love SR!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ImperfectlyMe, 111 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.