Notices

Finding it hard to leave my house?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding it hard to leave my house?

I find it hard to leave my house most days. Never want to be to far away from the drink...I do leave at times. Work.. To go on my booze run, pick up some smokes & food, All in the daytime. Cant risk getting pulled over by the police. I went to jail some months ago for the first time in my life...overnight.. It was the worst time of my life!!! All I worried about was that I had no way of having my drinks, Locked up...no booze, no smokes..I asked about the nicotine patch? No! cant have one. I asked about help with my drinking problem.. Could I get help there? was told to (SHUT UP) & If I couldn't make bail or call my lawyer? I was on my own. Never worried about my good name, Never worried about my job, Never worried about getting beat up or raped! All I worried about was how I could get my drink. I made bail that afternoon, I got home & the first thing I did was pour a stiff drink. I often think about that if I didn't make bail that day & was forced to withdrawal right there in jail...Would I be clean & sober now? Hmmm
Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi goingdownslo

my world shrunk too - the only time I'd leave the house was to get more booze smokes or food.

It's a flat dull and ultimately soul destroying way to live.

There is life without booze tho.

why not see your Dr as a first step - that way you don't need to freak out about withdrawal and you can get a step closer to turning things around?

D
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That doesn't sound like much of a life. I hope you can get sober for good.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey GDS... Ya see the direction ya are heading.... What ya think?

I was a crackhead... I saw... Kept doing... I drank like a fish... I saw... Kept doing...

Let me tell ya... The fact ya are here... That ya signed up.... That's a sign ya are ready... Ya can... Ya will...

Welcome to SR.

K
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Evening,
I really hope you seriously consider seeking medical attention in regards to your coming off of alcohol. The reason I say this - I tried to cut back my alcohol intake slowly and I ended up going through delirium tremens, had a seizure, broke my shoulder and nearly died. I believe there is NO safe way to taper off if your body and mind are used to consuming copious amounts of alcohol everyday. Please, please go to see a doctor and get some help coming off alcohol. I don't know you, but I care about you. Don't risk death over something that can be helped with a few medications for a few days. You are cared for here.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There were a couple of times in my drinking days where I thought I was bordering on agoraphobia. I did my drinking at home so it was my safe place and when I went out, to work to get food etc I would be prone to having panic attacks. Usually 3 or 4 a day. It was horrible. I got to the point that I was terrified of going anywhere because I knew I wouldn't be able to drink. I remember playing in a rehearsal for a concert and having to leave because of a panic attack. I was so so scared it might happen in the concert that I had to go to the pub to have a few drinks. That was a red flag right there really. And it happened quite a few times before I quit.

Being forced to not drink isn't a pleasant experience, and I have little doubt that even if you did go through withdrawals in jail you would have still gone back home and drank. It is not just because we are physically addicted that we drink, there are huge ingrained psychological reasons too. But this is an inside job that can't be fixed by external factors, no matter how much we thing that if only x was different then we might be sober.

I remember all these social occasions when I couldn't drink like I normally did and I was so resentful and angry even though it couldn't be directed at anyone around me. But it wasn't directed at myself either it, it was like I blamed other people for not allowing me to drink. I was lucky in a way not to have any friends or family around when I quit because I knew I was doing it entirely for myself. Having support really helped though and SR was really good for keeping me accountable. It took me a long time to have confidence in myself. I second talking to a doctor for advice about withdrawals but make sure you have some support lined up too x