Notices

new member today !!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new member today !!

Hi-- I m new to the site today but used it alot in the beginning on my road to recovery just reading peoples chats. I wasnt a member then. I have been an extremely sober person since 23rd May 2011 !! It seems a long time ago but now after 2 years 2 months I am finding it very difficult so I thought I would join the site so I could get some encouragement and shared feelings amongst people with understanding ? !! My family- daughter of 22 and my son 25 and my husband of 26 years are very helpful but its not quite the same .Im just so so fed up of thinking about drink ALL the time !I really want one and then question why i even stopped in the beginning but truthfully i could write a long list of all the right reasons!! I would hate to let myself down and my family .Oh dear !HELP !Is 2 years a bit of a milestone when people fall very hard off the wagon ???? xxxx thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It won't make you feel very good. It might trick you into feeling euphoric for a small amount of time, but what will really be happening inside you is your liver will be screaming at your brain for extra nutrients and energy to process the poison that you just dumped down your gullet, thus neglecting all of your other organs in the process. And then you'll drink more and more and hate yourself for being such an idiot and picking up the bottle in the first place.

Don't throw away all you've worked for. Sorry to be blunt, but doing so would be just silly, wouldn't it?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Terry. Welcome to SR!

You are in the right place - lots of support and encouragement here. And great people)

Congrats on 2 years and 2 months - I think it's a HUGE achievement.

Sharing your feeling will surely help - it's like letting burden off your chest.

I can't say anything about two years milestone - haven't made it that far yet. I'm sure members will more sobriety time under the belt will give you their insight)

Keep posting)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just posted what came to mind. I am on day 1 today myself, and regret being an idiot and going back to the bottle. It doesn't cause anything but pain, both physically and emotionally.

(I tend to be a very blunt person). Welcome to SR terry9
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes you are so right x and thats why i joined the site so i could read in black and white what i already know ! Thanks for being truthful and helpful ! x
Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome terry 2 years 2 months is awesome

SR is a great place,full of help and support from people who understand and can relate.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Terry!

I have only been a member of SR for 4 days now but I can tell you that you are in the right place, you will find all the support and encouragement that you need. I don't know much about drinking, pills are my thing, but I think in a way most addictions are a lot alike. It controls you. I hope you keep your control of your addiction and that you stay strong. The "euphoria" you will feel of keeping control over your addiction is going to feel a helluva lot better than the "euphoria" you are gonna get from that drink. Hang in there, stay strong, and remember, we are all here for you!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Terry! I had almost 3 years of sobriety before I got a case of the "F*ck its" and drank again. A couple of miserable years later and I've now got 47 days sober. You have a chance to make a different decision than I did.

Do you have a recovery program? I'd been active in AA when I was sober but I'd stopped going to meetings or doing anything for my recovery about 9 months before I went back out.

Someone today in a meeting compared sobriety to walking up the "down" escalator - if you aren't moving forward (by working your recovery program, whatever that is), then you're falling backwards. That made a lot of sense to me.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I think I need to go to AA because in the beginning i was involved with Addiction and Depedency services and also on Campral and now I just have to rely on my near worn out will power !!! Ha thats a good comparison that your friend at the meeting made -- very true ! Well done on your 47days - brill -- you must feel like skipping up the escalator !!! in the right direction ! Thanks x
Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Terry - welcome

I think supports very important - I know you'll find a ton of that here

D
Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you have joined us and two years is awesome. I love it here. Day 19 for me, so I have a long way to go, but I am going in the right direction. It is the longest I have been sober in eight years. I love the chat and the online meetings here too. Meetings are two times a week and chat room is always open. Looking forward to getting to know you. Welcome and glad you came.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, Terry! Very well done on your sober time. You've done the right thing by posting here -- you'll find plenty of support from fellow alcoholics who know what you're going through in a way that our families don't.

It's great that you're reminding yourself of all the reasons why you gave up drinking in the first place. You really did make the right decision that day.

Do give AA a try. Like other meeting-based recovery programs, it's a great way of getting local, face-to-face support from fellow sober alcoholics who understand.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you join us Terry. I was once sober for 3 yrs. and started up again - so you're very wise to be seeking help & encouragement here at SR. There are some great people here who really understand.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to our community. Congratulations on 2 years and 2 months .... that is awesome.

I know at around one year sober, I got a little anxious. I found myself depressed. I stopped going to meetings and began isolating. It was the support and encouragement I found at another recovery site that kept me sober until I could get back on track. You will find support and encouragement here, I am glad you joined.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Don't do it. Don't drink. You'll feel awful and have to start all over again. Please don't give in.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

You've found the place to be!

26 months is INCREDIBLE Terry!

Congratulations and welcome to the community of nice folks who can and will help you through any tough spots. Just post up and the support will be there, 24/7.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Terry! After heavily daily drinking for 13 years, I quit two days ago and I already feel great. I can only imagine how great I'll feel after 2 years. The last time I quit was 15 years ago, and I quit for 2 years and then started drinking again. This time I quit for good. I do NOT want to start all over again and go through withdrawal. Kudos to you for coming here BEFORE you started drinking again! Keep coming back!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody that has given me such positive support since last night when I joined . I am looking forward to accepting help and hopefully I will be able to reassure other people, because reading the comments on all the site I have realised that I have done quite well up to now, not having a drink and I need to keep going !!!! Thanks xxx