Notices

Dairy from rehab clinic

Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dairy from rehab clinic

Hi there!

I am starting once again on my sober journey. This time I decided to go through a program in a rehab clinic.

I am only 25, but I managed to seriously damage my body physically and mentally. I am sober for about 3 weeks, but 2 weeks ago I had my first epileptic seizure. Pretty scary stuff and i knew, this had to stop. Don't go cold turkey without supervision, did it many times before, but this time collapsed (loads of stress, physical activity etc.) Physically I am quite ok, except liver tests (obviously), no brain damage and no more seizures. The seizure was the final straw. Doctors said, that I will be ok, if I stop drinking. I decided to enter 3 month program in a rehab clinic.

DAY1
Today I am 20 days sober and entered the clinic. I feel really good, but I am quite nervous about the program and people in here. Weekends are generally quieter in here. On Monday I am starting therapy with the community etc.
I will keep this updated as much as possible Soon I will also write little bit about myself and my drinking.

Good luck everyone, stay strong and sober!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on making probably one of the best decisions of your life
Remember that you will get out of rehab what you put in. Stay away from dramas, romances and gossip (basically stick with the winners >motivated people<), keep an open mind even if some counselors **** you off and focus entirely on yourself and your recovery. If you apply yourself, you will learn a lot of new tools and get a solid foundation.
Sending you my best wishes.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

damn a mistake in thread name

I have been here for one week and its okay I guess. I have read a lot of books, and been to lot of therapies (psychotherapy, music, relaxation etc.). There is a strict regime and I kinda like it. I have been working out a lot. Community accepted me really well which was nice, because I was really nervous about it. I am still not part of the community though, because next week I will have acceptance speech about myself and my drinking. After that community will decide if they want me to be part of it.
There is about 25-30 people in here, but there is a big fluctuation, because some people are ending the program, some are just quitting and some new guys are introduced like myself last week.
The most intense and frightening experience from this week was myself helping at the detox / ICU room. It is the part of the program to help the staff there for 1 hour (pouring drinks, watching patients and their behaviour etc.). It really opens your eyes and you see the bigger picture.
I like all the therapies and I think it really helps me to talk with fellow alcoholics
I keep a diary in my native language for myself and my psychotherapist with some thoughts, so I will write more when I will have some time.
Sorry for my english

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe this experience will help you in many ways. It is good to see that you are reaching out and getting all the help that you can. I will look forward to reading your posts in the future. Please tell us how it goes. Congrats on making the best decision for your life!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought maybe the were giving you special "milk" at the rehab
Old 08-03-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InperfectlyMe View Post
I thought maybe the were giving you special "milk" at the rehab
Not yet .) But they are giving me silymarin extract from milk thistle :P

Is it possible to change thread name?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I believe this experience will help you in many ways. It is good to see that you are reaching out and getting all the help that you can. I will look forward to reading your posts in the future. Please tell us how it goes. Congrats on making the best decision for your life!

We also had meeting with people from Blue Cross (I am not able to post links yet) and i really liked it. I am not a big fan of AA because of the religious aspect. The Blue Cross has a branch in my hometown and they offer group therapy (6 months) and also individual therapy for free so I am looking into that.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alkaatch View Post

We also had meeting with people from Blue Cross (I am not able to post links yet) and i really liked it. I am not a big fan of AA because of the religious aspect. The Blue Cross has a branch in my hometown and they offer group therapy (6 months) and also individual therapy for free so I am looking into that.
Yes, great! AA does have groups that are not religious. I do not know much more than that. ( hopefully, someone will have more info on this) I am not in AA, but i have been in the past. There is a secular portion of this forum that is always good to look into. No matter what, we are here for you. This forum has helped me immensely for the past 5 months.
I subscribed to your thread. Please know that people will be thinking of you while you are getting healthy in rehabilitation. You are never alone.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Yes, great! AA does have groups that are not religious. I do not know much more than that. ( hopefully, someone will have more info on this) I am not in AA, but i have been in the past. There is a secular portion of this forum that is always good to look into. No matter what, we are here for you. This forum has helped me immensely for the past 5 months.
I subscribed to your thread. Please know that people will be thinking of you while you are getting healthy in rehabilitation. You are never alone.
I am not against any religion, but I am atheist and I dont think that it would help me to be part of AA. Other clients told me, that there was also meeting with AA earlier and it was horrible. Thanks for the support!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there!
I am 2 weeks in rehab and feeling great. I am thinking clearer and the brain fog is gone. I had my "defense" in a group (10 guys and 1 psychotherapist) this week. I was pretty nervous about it, but it felt great just to talk about my problems. I was accepted and I loved the friendly atmosphere. Even though I am the youngest in the group I found out, that the problems are same for everyone. I have no cravings at all. I was at home yesterday which was kinda weird, but I enjoyed the day. There were some highs and lows this week, because I was happy from being accepted in group and looking forward to Saturday at home, but also pretty mad about one guy, who was stealing stuff from other clients. Fortunately he was immediately fired from rehab and hopefully this sort of stuff will stop.
I still have to write something more about myself, so perhaps in the evening.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi there!

Day 24 in rehab. Time flies in here. I am going to take another liver function tests this week. When I was in hospital after the seizure my tests were pretty high, after entering the rehab they were normal except ALT (about 2x normal). So hopefully now after 3 weeks it is going to be ok. I am feeling great.
Unfortunately next week there will be only 1 psychotherapist (normal is 3) due to holidays etc. I am little bit worried about it, because we will be working on our own in the group therapy and I am in charge of our group.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi alkaatch, You are very wise to go to the rehab. You are coming along so well. Hang in there. Sobriety is so worth it!