Notices

I'm so happy I found this site.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so happy I found this site.

My name is Andrew and I am 30. I have been partying for about the last 8 years. This includes heavy drinking, smoking marijuana mainly but other drugs sometimes too. I have been trying really hard for the last 2 years to get my partying under control but have only been clean for maybe 2 months in 8 years, which blows my mind. I have a girlfriend who drinks and smokes, but she does it with moderation and I applaud her for that. I've never been the type to just isolate myself from everything while I try to quit because I feel you have to stare your troubles right in the face to conquer them. I took some time and really thought about all the partying and wasted time drinking myself into a blackout state, rambling away for hours on the phone talking to my friends, and never remembering what we talked about. I have big dreams in my life and I feel really strong mentally. I am so glad I found this site for the main reason to help and be helped. Its good to know that there are some good people out there. I'm on day three and excited to walk away from addictions and have a clear mind and spirit. Good luck to all, you can do it.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Congrats on day 3 and welcome to SR, Andrew. This site is definitely a great place to both get and give support.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by grocerease View Post
I've never been the type to just isolate myself from everything while I try to quit because I feel you have to stare your troubles right in the face to conquer them.
Not sure what you mean by "everything" when you say you aren't the type to isolate, but if it means you are still hanging in the places you partied at, with the people you partied with, you might reconsider.

I agree, you can't run from life. But you have to run from the people, places, and things that constituted your party lifestyle.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days, try remembering just one day at a time. Some are more difficult than others so we hang in there and remember our bodies got the way they are not overnight.

"I feel you have to stare your troubles right in the face to conquer them."

You got that right. It surprises many that alcohol is like the tip of the iceberg and our troubles are within the submerged part. Hold on now! The main culprit are our FEARS, and that's where we spend our emotional development time. Hang on, the trip can be a great one starting being comfortable in our own skin. BE WELL
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You have found a great forum for support. Please keep posting and reading. Congrats on day 3!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DAB

Welcome to SR, Andrew!
Each day becomes a blessing and not something to drink away into our subconscious. The good old days might have been worth it if we could remember most of them. Keep moving forward, progress is the key to lasting sobriety.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Andrew, and congratulations on 3 days!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Andrew

D
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on Day 3 Andrew. We all understand what hard work it is. It'll get better as you go along.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Andrew..so glad you're here.