Notices

Admitting

Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitting

I told a coworker today about my almost accident drunk... You know the wake up call.. It was the first person I have told in person... It wasn't easy talking about it to her.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting it out in the open can be a freeing experience. It's clear that this wake up call really hit home. I'm sure your thankful that nobody was hurt. As you know as long as you're sober, even if something happens, you can't say .. it happened because I was impaired.

Thank you for posting.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can she be trusted to keep this to herself? I know it can feel cathartic to confide in someone.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes she can.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I told a coworker I was quitting and they drove me to a bar (said they were buying me lunch). The fear that strikes men's hearts when they think they will be drinking alone. Course as an alcoholic I have no problem drinking alone.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not a drink alone person, I have booze in the house and I do not even think about touching it. I am the social butterfly bar hoping type that doesn't know when to stop! Then feels guilty and does the same vicious cycle over and over again.. If I am not out at a bar or party I am fine. The only issues is staying away, as long as I am very far from the party I should be fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I learned is a "party " can just happen! Maybe its the social vibe of it all and drinking lets us feel sumwhat a part of it, like an instant connection to everyone around , idk what im sayin, im brand new to this but I try to make sense of things
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

I've been doing recovery for many years now and sometimes it's still hard for me to talk about it.

For me it was a help to talk to others about it, especially with peers facing the same problem. You realize you're not alone, not untouchable, more or less a person like anyone. I've told my family, my close friends, my housemates... it gets easier to talk about it with time and I've found that no one really reacts as negatively as I expect them to. Usually it's "oh, okay cool" and that's that.