Notices

My Day 3

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Day 3

Day 3 and it is GOOD!

Last night was a little rough, only because I couldn't sleep. We had gone to my husband's best friend's wife's birthday party at their new house, which was great. It was so nice to get out of the house since I normally don't get out much but to go to the grocery store or doctors appointments. My days usually consist of me laying on the bed since I am most comfortable there and helps with my pain and keeps my neck in a position where the pain isn't so intense, and watching TV or getting on the computer to write. So I spend a lot of time looking at the same 4 walls everyday which can be very depressing, so last night was wonderful. I spent most of it sitting on the back porch talking with everyone and enjoying the beautiful sunset and the summer night. Of course not being able to get into a comfortable position caused some pain and discomfort so by the time we got home at 10 I was hurting pretty good. One thing about me is I am extremely clumsy!! So, last night while trying to put on my PJ pants my foot got caught I and stumbled backwards, my butt landing just on the edge of the bed to where I slipped off of it, and slid to the floor, but my arm was chicken winged and caught on the top of the bed and it pulled all the muscles up my arm and into my neck...great right??? The pain was immediate and traveled down my spine to the middle of my shoulder blades, my husband was of course very worried. He saw the whole thing happen but couldn't react fast enough to keep me from falling..he tried...So once again I had to take extra medication but I didn't feel defeated this time...it was actually kind of sweet he told me I didn't even have to say anything about the extra medication on here, but I reminded him that this was all about honesty and that NO ONE was going to judge me. So after getting me medicated he got me into bed and I spent the rest of the night with an ice pack on my neck along with popcorn and browsing on here. It was still a good night. I had trouble sleeping, I just wasn't sleepy but at 6 am when my husband was ready to go to bed (guess I should mention my husband works nights, so his sleep schedule is different) he had me crawl into bed with him and I fell asleep holding his hand.

I woke up this morning feeling great, sore and hurting, but great. When I went to get my medication out of the bottle I hesitated, the thought of how sore I was and how easily I could make it all go away and take my mind off of it better if I took 2 instead of 1 went through my mind. But, I only took one, when I turned around my husband was standing behind me, and he had a proud smile on his face. He hugged me and only said "good job honey, I'm proud of you." and that was it. But the smile on his face was soooo worth it!!! That beautiful smile of his and knowing that he really was proud of me made me realize for the first time that I really could do this! That I WAS going to do this. So it might have only been a small victory but it meant the world to me, at that moment, it was priceless. For the first time in a long time, I felt like myself again, the old me, the woman that he fell in love with 5 years ago. That moment is going to replay in my head a million times and I know it is probably going to be the defining moment I use every time I think of using more or that I think I can't do this, because every time that I do win, in my mind, I am going to see that smile of his, and that is going to be my reward....and its the sweetest reward I could ever receive.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 3 Shakota

I have a lot of falls - I have cerebral palsy - I had one just a few days back actually.

I don't like taking too many pain killers so I'm always looking for the non medicated response....heat packs are really good for pulled muscles and the like too

D
Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee!

I am sorry to hear about the cerebral palsy, that is a tough one. I have home made ice packs I made out of zip lock baggies, rubbing alcohol and water that I use for my lower back and knees, then I found that water bottles fit perfectly in the curve of my neck, so I filled those up with water and rubbing alcohol and use those as ice packs for my neck, then I made my own reusable heating pad out of a tube sock and rice which also fits perfectly into the curve of my neck. My doctor has me alternating between ice and heat which helps a lot.

As far as the falls go, I do fall a lot since my nervous system is shot from the spinal fluid leak and my balance is just always off anymore. I hate that because my neck is messed up my whole body is effected. But of course that is where all of your nerves are so that of course makes sense. The MRI reports say that all of my nerve sacks are pinched so I just have to learn to live with it. The body is an amazing thing, you just never know how everything is really connected until something goes wrong and you can feel how one little thing effects everything. Its really cool actually.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 3!!!!