Notices

Third attempt at being sober

Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Third attempt at being sober

I guess I never really thought I had a problem. I have a question though, how do you break certain associations that you have with alcohol. As an example, my Mom (deceased now) and I would always relax with a glass of chardonnay and I viewed wine as a reward and a way to relax after a long day. I have also viewed drinking as a type of luxury. Is it possible for me to be like a friend of mine. She will have a glass of wine at dinner maybe once or twice a week. SOmetimes I can do that, but other times it turns into a bottle and I wake with a headache, or worse, not remembering the night before. I've probably had 10 to 15 blackouts in my life. I am 45. I started drinking at 17. I'm on day 11 of no alcohol. I dont really miss it so far, unless I see a couple drinking wine on tv in a movie, or I see others out having fun and having cocktails.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome onto a path of sobriety if you choose it. It can be a trip to being joyous and free of the chain locking us to alcohol. Its not always easy however millions have achieved long periods of sobriety. Self honesty is needed along with not picking up the first drink so we don't have to get sober again. Many pages here to scan how people do it one day at a time. My sobering up is by way of face to face meetings at AA where there are people who understand us. BE WELL AND KEEP COMING
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site and congrats on your 11 days sober! I got sober over three years ago and don't miss it one bit.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First, let me commend you for acknowledging that you may have a problem. That is a huge step on your way to sobriety. You asked how to break certain associations....let say that this also is very enlightened of you to realize that you see drinking as a form of reward. Of-times I have heard it said that we don't have a 'drinking' problem, we have a thinking problem. I was told to play the tape all the way through.....remember where that one drink 'may' lead you.
I also was a blackout drinker. I began drinking at 14 and didn't stop until I had a run-in with the law at the age of 53!! I am very grateful to the judge that sentenced me to attend a Court ordered alcohol awareness class and 12-step meetings. I used that time to apply myself and participate, I learned a lot about alcoholism and was able to finally accept that I am an alcoholic. I have been both drink and drug free for almost 6 years now but I continue to do this one day at a time. You can too. Welcome!!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Janet. Those people who can only have one or two glasses of wine and then stop are soooo annoying! All kidding aside, maybe you can sit back and relax with a new drink of choice. Mine has been fruit punch. I also recently had a ginger beer (which is not alcoholic) at a restaurant and thought it was unusual and great tasting. Create some new traditions!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Substituting new drinks

Hey Pippo-thanks. I actually have been doing that. I really love talking rain lime. Its a carbonated water with a subtle taste of lemon-lime. I added Crystal Light "Mojito" its a sugar free non alcoholic drink-the combination of the two is really tasty and refreshing on a hot summer day. Thanks also to everyone for your replies, comments, suggestions and posts. I'm happy to be hear and I have heard that before, its a "thinking" problem. Good point. I'm focusing on being and "staying" healthy.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oooooo, Talking Rain sparkling waters are the best! Love them!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

more will be revealed

Good Luck! Have faith more will be revealed.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Janet

Everyone wants to be that person who has one glass of wine and then doesn't want another and doesn't think of it again...but if you can't *consistently* do that then you're better off not trying IMO.

there are other ways to relax and to reward yourself

D
Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Those people who have one glass of wine and then stop do not get to the place we do...which...ideally, is pleasant oblivion. Of course it NEVER is that and quickly goes beyond.

I don't pretend to understand it, but then, I don't understand a lot of things I DON"T DO...like smoking. BTW, I take no credit for this; I just never started. And, I am so glad I didn't because I sympathize with what it must be like to try to quit. I am sure if I had ever picked up that first cigarette I would be hooked.

So, those people who can drink one glass of wine and quit? More power to them. I could not do it.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by yukonm View Post
I used that time to apply myself and participate, I learned a lot about alcoholism and was able to finally accept that I am an alcoholic. I have been both drink and drug free for almost 6 years now but I continue to do this one day at a time. You can too. Welcome!!
I gave your comment a "thumbs-up" because I like your comment. But I also love your avatar. Makes me laugh each time I see it.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to meet you Janet. I hope you'll find the support you're looking for.

I'm glad you've realized alcohol sometimes takes you where you didn't intend to go. I was like that too - and I didn't pay attention to the warning signs. I ended up completely dependent on it. I'm happy you're taking action - you can do this.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, there are so many triggers for me having a glass of wine......a good day; a bad day; being hungry; being dehydrated; being angry etc, etc. My life is one big excuse as to why I should open a bottle! I have tried drinking in moderation.....more times than I care to remember but unlike your friend I'm unable to stop at one or two glasses. I KNOW that I have to stop completely!!!!

!! days not drinking is great!!! Keep up the good work.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

triggers

So true-I can always find a reason to have a glass of wine and then it turns to one more and then one more glass and then the bottle!