Notices

Just got back from AA meeting...

Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Day tripper

Just got back from AA meeting...

Hi, folks...
Just got back from my first AA meeting in years. I was welcomed with open arms, and a few nice people stayed after the meeting to chat with me and get me some phone numbers. I feel a lot more hopeful. I just want to get myself back, you know?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's an amazing group of people who are unconditionally friendly and selfless. I think its a great way to recover! Good luck! It works if you work it!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Most of the meetings I go to people are very welcoming and I haven't had a problem with anyone. I'm glad you are feeling hopeful.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Day tripper

You're so right, tarebear...a room of instant friends. Plus, they know exactly what I'm talking about and where I'm at because they've all been there. I'm ready to work hard at this.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Day tripper

Lady, I have such a long road ahead of me, but the hope is wonderful!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nettles that is great. I have met some of the most beautiful people in AA. Many of them became very good friends. Happy for you!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Day tripper

Thanks, wiscsober...it was a smallish meeting, but I'm a major introvert, so that was just fine with me. I hope I'll make some really great friends there!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by nettles View Post
The nice thing is that we don't have to do it alone .
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Great attitude You are on a path to recovery.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news nettles.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nettles View Post
The suggestion is doing it at day at a time, or breaking it into much smaller segments. BE WELL
Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just got back from my 2nd meeting and it was okay. All the reading out loud drives me crazy. Half the time you cannot hear the person, also, I can read. The other thing I have a problem with, and this is just how I am, why do I have to hold hands to say the Lord's Prayer? I know I will get beaten up over this which is okay.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Trooper13 View Post
I just got back from my 2nd meeting and it was okay. All the reading out loud drives me crazy. Half the time you cannot hear the person, also, I can read. The other thing I have a problem with, and this is just how I am, why do I have to hold hands to say the Lord's Prayer? I know I will get beaten up over this which is okay.
You probably went to a literature or Big Book study group. Meetings have different formats, check out the small letters on the side of the meetings in your meeting book. I go to BB and steps meetings (that's what we do in my home group work the steps) but being brand new, you might want to go to speakers meeting/
As far as the closing goes, it depends on the group. My home group closes with the serenity prayer. You don't have to be in the circle and hold hands and pray btw or you could just hold hands, close your eyes and send out good healing thoughts for the ones who are still out there sick and suffering (this is what I do if I am at a meeting which closes with the Lord prayer since I am not a Christian).
If you are completely allergic to religion, look up your area and see if they have an agnostic meeting.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
Most of the meetings I go to people are very welcoming and I haven't had a problem with anyone. I'm glad you are feeling hopeful.
Congrats on your 1 year!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Glad you came back! Don't ever hesitate to call those numbers. One of the great things about the AA program is how it stresses that we be unselfish and reach out to the still suffering. I know that for me, it is hard to call those numbers but it's been stressed to me that it's important not only for me but for the people i call. It's not a one way street. The people who give out their numbers need those calls too. Your 1st step is someone else's 12th step!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

love

All about the unconditional love.

thanks
mike
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A few of my friends in the program hold hands but don't pray, or remain seated while saying the Lord's prayer. The whole program is based on no judgements- so no one will judge you if you don't wish to partake in that part of the program. I just like the sense of unity it allows for, but every one works the program differently!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
You probably went to a literature or Big Book study group. Meetings have different formats, check out the small letters on the side of the meetings in your meeting book. I go to BB and steps meetings (that's what we do in my home group work the steps) but being brand new, you might want to go to speakers meeting/
As far as the closing goes, it depends on the group. My home group closes with the serenity prayer. You don't have to be in the circle and hold hands and pray btw or you could just hold hands, close your eyes and send out good healing thoughts for the ones who are still out there sick and suffering (this is what I do if I am at a meeting which closes with the Lord prayer since I am not a Christian).
If you are completely allergic to religion, look up your area and see if they have an agnostic meeting.

Good luck
Ha, it is the holding hands that bothers me. I am actually a fairly religious person. I don't know where those hands have been! Good thing I keep hand sanitizer in the car!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey Trooper! Check out different meetings if there was too much reading at that one. My favorite meeting is actually a Big Book study where we read a paragraph and discuss it if we want to. It's helpful for me to be in that kind of format because when i read on my own, i tend to read fast without thinking much about it. Most of my groups also read part of How it Works or More on Alcoholism. For me, it touches on some of the really important part of the BB. Also, there may be people who are early in sobriety and haven't heard that. Remember, the meeting isn't just for you, hahaha! Reading as a group kind of enforces the solidarity of the group for me.

As far as holding hand at the end, i don't that's too much physical contact for most people. When i was drinking, i shied away from physical contact. I felt disgusting and i wanted to be removed from people. Now, that warm, human contact i feel through holding hands and hugging makes me feel accepted. It makes me feel human again. Most of my groups end with the Lord's Prayer. I am not Christian but when i say the Lord's Prayer, i direct it to my personal Higher Power. I am asking the benevolent force in my life to protect me and i honer the bond i have with it. I hope this helps some.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Ha, it is the holding hands that bothers me. I am actually a fairly religious person. I don't know where those hands have been! Good thing I keep hand sanitizer in the car!
Then I'd suggest you never go to NA, those people LOVE to hug