Notices

I'm back.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow I'm back.

I decided to give sobriety a chance. Everything is going downhill and I'm at a bad point in my life emotionally and physically. I'm in so much pain emotionally that I know I need to do this. I'm on Day 1 again because I wasn't trying, I didn't want to be sober. All I wanted was that rush. So now I'm going to be taking a new approach. Any advice?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1. It all starts here.

Do you have any recovery plan in mind?

Take it one day at a time.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Congrats on day 1. It all starts here.

Do you have any recovery plan in mind?

Take it one day at a time.
I'm probably going to go with the approach I went with a couple years ago that helped me stay sober the longest, staying at home for a bit until I know I'm ready to go out in the world again. Also learning sober fun. I don't know what else yet.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, you are just going to stay home? I assume this helps because you normally drink in bars or with other people at their homes/parties?

For me, it was not learning sober fun. It was being sober and realizing, for the first time, that fun or having a good time came fairly naturally if I let it and not expect it to only surround around certain people, places and things.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back theNew
you want to do something new...but you're doing something old?

I'm not trying to be a smart guy...staying home is a good part of a plan but you might want to think of a few more things besides a few weeks lockdown.

a little more support for example and some definitive lifestyle changes that might help you stay sober - new friends, new things to do, new routines etc?

If you're gonna jump, why not go large?
It might be the difference between a sobriety break, and a lasting new way of life?

D
Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think wanting to be sober is the key. Wanting a fulfilling sober life more than the buzz of alcohol. I don't have any advice because I haven't been able to make that mind shift yet.

I haven't had a drink for 24 days and it's great to wake up clear headed with no concerns about what I did the night before. However I still crave a drink whenever I'm stressed and need to relax.

I've had a lot of relapses but I keep trying to quit because my life is better without alcohol. I'm just having a hard time accepting I can never drink again.

Keep visiting this site. I find the Daily Support threads really useful. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang on! In this age there is much advice on the internet however be cautious as there is bad info also. Proven advice that works: getting honest with ourselves, don't pick up that first drink so we don't have to try to get sober AGAIN, drink lots of water and eat sweets when the desire builds up, AA is a place which has helped millions world wide, try exercise, try fun things you like and on and on. Again hang on as sobriety as shown in many posts here is an tremendous gift to ourselves and family. YOU CAN DO IT! BE WELL
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here's a link to a thread that is full of a lot of us in early days or (like me) still trying to get Day 1. It helps to be with people who share your "space" as well as the threads where people who have stayed sober for years can help:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...g-so-over.html
Old 07-25-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm on my second day and still determined. Make this your this. Want it bad enough for yourself to see the other side.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back The New.

Congrats on day 1 - that's where we all start - the most important day!

I am still a newbie here so probably don't have enough ammo to give advice!
But what I can say is that SR has helped and supported me so much in staying sober.
It is not easy to be sober (especially when I want to be numb about so many things) - but being sober feels right... All the blackouts, crazy behaviour, guilt...etc... are just not worth it.
I have found a lot of support here and I find the chat room invaluable.

Hope to see you back soon!

Shells
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

It works when you are ready to do what it takes.

Turns out it takes much less than i imagined, and gives so much more.

Good choice