Notices

Mental Illness & Alcohol Abuse

Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post
Yes I have, but I certainly hope you don't take as long as I did!
thank you!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It certainly sounds like you are on the right path when you say you have a serious alcohol problem. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this website so what I would advise as the first order of business is to keep posting on this SoberReovery and try not ever to give up your resolve to stop drinking. It isn't easy to stop but it can be done. Hundreds, maybe thousands, maybe more than that, have done it using one method or another. Just remember that we're behind you all the way, thinking of you and trying to help in any way we can. In hopes that this is the beginning of a wonderful upward path for you. Every good wish.

W.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
It certainly sounds like you are on the right path when you say you have a serious alcohol problem. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this website so what I would advise as the first order of business is to keep posting on this SoberReovery and try not ever to give up your resolve to stop drinking. It isn't easy to stop but it can be done. Hundreds, maybe thousands, maybe more than that, have done it using one method or another. Just remember that we're behind you all the way, thinking of you and trying to help in any way we can. In hopes that this is the beginning of a wonderful upward path for you. Every good wish.

W.
Yeah I'm not expecting this to be easy, as soon as I start to get over my hangover, I'm already thinking about rewarding myself with a drink. Or thinking I could just have a couple of glasses of wine..but that rarely works out. Thanks so much for your support and I think I'll definitely be posting a lot on here to try and stay strong!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Waterlines: You wrote, "Yeah I'm not expecting this to be easy, as soon as I start to get over my hangover, I'm already thinking about rewarding myself with a drink. Or thinking I could just have a couple of glasses of wine..but that rarely works out. Thanks so much for your support and I think I'll definitely be posting a lot on here to try and stay strong!"

Good to hear that! You asked about AVRT or what is called the Rational Recovery Program. For that I suggest you check out the "Secular Connections" forum on this SR Website. When you say you're "already thinking" about having one or two glasses of wine (maybe as a supposed "reward" for your wonderful start on sobriety (some reward! No way is it a "reward"). this seems to illustrate one of the things they seem to emphasize in AVRT, which is that these messages to take a drink or two are likely coming from the more primitive part of your brain, which is trying everything it can to resume the flow of alcohol (since your chemistry and physiology have changed to become alcohol dependent; that is you're addicted). So the primitive part of the brain starts sending these messages up to the more rational part (which has been numbed by alcohol) and it's what they call a "set up". Your brain is actually trying to set you up to resume your drinking. "I'll have just one!" "I need just one to settle down", etc. etc. The tough part is developing the skills to recognize these signals for what they are and treating them just like you'd treat the screaming demands of a small baby. Easier said than done. AVRT tells you how. But don't give up on Alcoholics Anonymous without giving it a good try. I have a bunch of issues with it but it saved my life.
As far as the mental issues go, the best way, maybe the only way, to give the psychiatric medications a chance is to quit drinking. I'm not a doctor but I seriously doubt if the medications are at all effective in an alcohol environment. As to panic attacks, I may have mentioned that I used to have them at 3 or 4 in the morning. One of the most unpleasant things that have ever happened to me. I haven't had any now in 25 years. I feel no cravings at all to drink. I don't miss my drinking "friends". Many of them are now dead.

W.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I agree about the medication, how can it combat my depression if I keep consuming alcohol which is a depressant. Panic attacks are absolutely horrendous and have completely ruined my life so it's ridiculous to think I would ever drink again after learning the connection between them but I suppose that's testament to the hold alcohol has on me.

AVRT sounds interesting and it makes sense, I will look into it. I'm not involved in any kind of AA yet because this is a very recent decision and also I think I am going to be battling some serious anxiety when it comes to leaving the house during this early period (hopefully not for too long if I begin therapy).

ps thank you for the PM