Notices

First Day Of Sobriety

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day Of Sobriety

Hello everyone..Today is the first day of trying to stay sober. I realize I have a serious problem. I stop off at the store on the way to work in the morning to grab a couple tiny bottles of wine or beer. On break I drink, on lunch I go to the store to drink, and after work all night long. My excuse each morning to drink is that I am so hungover I need a drink to survive the day.

I don't want to live like this anymore, but I don't know to function without alcohol. Like I can't even fathom being that bored..or just being without nothing at all.

I hope I can keep it up. Thats why I am here.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there! I'm right there with you. Today will be my first 24 hours. Hopefully with the help of others and a great support system we can conquer this!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes we will!! My plan for first break is to go to the juice bar.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR and congratulations on taking the first step.
I would suggest that you join the July class http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-2-a-18.html
you will get a lot of support from your peers who quit at the same time than you and are going through the same thing.
I also encourage you to join us at the 24hours club where we pledge to remain sober for the next 24hrs. Good way to hold ourselves accountable and Deeker does a terrific job facilitating it.http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4086073
Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and Congrats on deciding to quit.

Boredom can be avoided. I've rediscovered old hobbies that I haven't done in years and am learning new things to do. I thought I would go bat crap crazy when I first quit, but I am now enjoying my hobbies and appreciating that when I fix or build something that I have something to show for it aside from bloodshot eyes and trembling hands.

Stay Strong
Ken
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on taking this first step! I'm new at this also and always thought I would be bored outta my mind too! I've been working out a lot and it definitely helps me! This site helps a lot too! Everyone is very supportive!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't get board as I got quite involved in AA and meetings. It depends I suppose how much hurt we have as to when we start and continue to get better. It's said it's our choice when we want the insanity of our drinking to end and it takes work and TIME which many wont do, looking for the softest easiest way which usually doesn't work for the long run...
BE WELL
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome SobrietyP! I was much like you...had a drink in the morning (hid my glass in the spice cabinet and would sip as I made my daughter's lunch), then I often times would go to the store on my lunch and grab 2 mini bottles of brandy and poor them into an empty juice jug and drink that in my car.

That would get me through the rest of the afternoon, then would always stop at the bar on the way home...awful vicious cycle.

I am 83 days sober now, and feel wonderful!!!! Welcome to our family...I hope you stick around as this is a great place for support.

Congrats on your first sober day...step in the direction of freedom!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Enjoying Recovery

You've come to a good place with lots of support. Hope all goes well with your recovery.

Think of the positives of being sober: you feel better, you sleep better, you eat better, you live longer, you don't have to conceal your drinking to anyone, you don't have to worry about where the next drink is coming from and you have the money you used to spend on drink on other things. That's just to name a few.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There is a great deal of support here
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am on day 4 and am living through quite a horrific detox. Today I feel better but not great. I did feel well enough to attend my first AA meeting. I have attempted to get sober three other times and stayed sober for as long as 8 weeks but always relapsed. I never went to AA those other times as I was sure I could do it on my own. Now I know I can't, I am going to succeed but I need the help and support of others, face to face.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome SobrietyP
I couldn't fathom not drinking either - but I knew I had to try.

each of us, no matter who we are, live our lives one day at a time - it becomes so natural eventually then most of us never even think of it that way.

Our recovery should be like that too.

take it day by day - 24 blocks - stay sober and it will become easier and more normal

if you're like me, you'll keep finding little gifts you never expected, and you'll wind up preferring sobriety

D
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...Day 2 and going strong. I keep reminding myself I am sober. So used to alcohol being apart of everything, its strange and I am dedicated to keeping it up. Cleaned my entire house last night, was shocked at how much I let go.

Yesterday I decided to go to my first AA meeting. I asked my sister if she could watch my girls for an hour and she agreed..but she asked if I could stop and get her a beer first. Needless to say I decided not to go over there at all.

So I was chatting to her and telling her that I realize I am a severe alcoholic and I was going to get sober...Today I told her that I did well yesterday, and this is day 2. And I was proud. Finally I just asked why she wasn't responding to what I was saying and how weird it was...She said that its only 2 days..and I'm trying to find fault with everything.

To me two days is a HUGE deal. So I'm kinda discouraged right now.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Don't feel discouraged - two days is a huge accomplishment. The Normies just don't understand what we go through and how hard it is. You are doing great!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah don't be discouraged - just, for the moment, hang with the people who appreciate the achievements you're making

D
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! My sister is an alcoholic too, thats why it was hard for me to understand her insensitivity.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SobrietyP View Post
I don't want to live like this anymore.
You don't have to. The fact that you've taken this step to register and post is a great step forward. Clearly you have thought about this quite a bit. I found that way to hang on to sobriety is to have a plan. I think everyone's plan is different because their reasons for drinking are different. I'm so glad you're here. Keep posting so we can learn from your experiences and success.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 3, still getting used to not drinking. Yesterday I gave a coworker a ride after work, the two of us usually get very drunk together whenever we hang out. He didn't know I was sober. When we went to the store he got a beer, I didn't, and he drank it in front of me. I didn't mess up. Simply said, I'm not drinking. I was so proud of myself.

Last night I spent even more time with my kids, the house is still clean, and I went to bed around 10, unheard of before. Hoping for the best tonight and through the weekend.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice job on day three! You have a lot more free time, right?

Sobriety's only boring if you make it boring. Part of the joy for me is doing things that I would never have done when I was drinking--normal person stuff, like running, working out, dressing well, planning and executing on long-term projects, being there for my family, even simple yardwork. And getting back on top of all of the things I let slide as a drunk keeps me pretty busy!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi SobreityP...I'm late to the welcome wagon. Congrats on Day 3. With respect to your first post, I think life in the "drunkard's cave" becomes incredibly narrow in scope. Our life has become so absorbed in alcohol we simply cannot imagine what the hell it looks like with clear vision. Although my sobriety, at not even two months, is still very new but I have already tasted some of it's reward. When I was drinking, the hours sober (and hungover) I felt like I was always trying to hide an apology for my being. It was like I needed that first drink to turn on the "on" button (which of course, I had a hard time turning off lol). I was a mushroom in the dark and sobriety turns on the light. At first its not exactly pleasant.....you squint and blink your mushroomy little eyes..but then your eyes adjust...slowly. Your soul starts to delight in simpler things. You start to actually NOTICE things like a child marveling at a new world. You grow..you get stronger...you learn to walk and talk all over again. You discover who you are. It's an adventure in my eyes...one so worth pioneering. Stick around.