Notices

Scariest feeling in the world

Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Also, if anyone's interested in reading it, I made a long-winded post about an eye-opening dream I had last night in the Gratitude List section of the website.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Schmeckle: The more I read your posts the more optimistic I get. If you're comfortable with AA then that sounds like a great thing to pursue. If not then there are other alternatives. You mention that your girlfriend monitors your uptake. A good idea in the short run but in the long run I found it not a good idea to use my wife as a control since I would get in trouble when she was away for some reason. Better to build up the motivation within. In the long run folks have to do it for themselves, not depend on anyone else.
You sound like you're on the right path. Keep slugging away and you'll accomplish something very valuable and perhaps rare in the sense that not everyone makes it.

W.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 of tapering. I have not had severe withdrawal symptoms at all. I found that certain foods help with the withdrawal symptoms--eat lots of peanuts, cucumbers, raw vegetables, vegetable juice, whole grain breads, sugar free cereal, eggs. Don't drink soda or eat a lot of sweets---increasing sugar intake increases cravings!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lots of orange juice. Provides liquids and Vitamin B

W.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So far, so good. End of the first official day alcohol free after tapering yesterday. I haven't taken any of the benzos given to me by the E.R. doctor except one before I left the hospital. The shakes have mostly stopped and the heart seems fine, but that affects me most often at night when I'm trying to sleep. I had a few bouts of brainfog, stabbing headaches and a few heavy cases of the sweats throughout the day, and the anxiety is mostly subsided. I've been really tired throughout the day, but I think that's because I haven't had my usual dose of caffeine - just a half cup of black tea with lunch. I think if I was going to get the DTs full-blown it would have happened by now, right?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was really tired and got sleepy early in the evening for a solid week or more when I stopped.

I got restless, feeling stressed and wired and no way to relax. I drank herbal eat and got in the tub for that.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shmeckle View Post
So far, so good. End of the first official day alcohol free after tapering yesterday. I haven't taken any of the benzos given to me by the E.R. doctor except one before I left the hospital. The shakes have mostly stopped and the heart seems fine, but that affects me most often at night when I'm trying to sleep. I had a few bouts of brainfog, stabbing headaches and a few heavy cases of the sweats throughout the day, and the anxiety is mostly subsided. I've been really tired throughout the day, but I think that's because I haven't had my usual dose of caffeine - just a half cup of black tea with lunch. I think if I was going to get the DTs full-blown it would have happened by now, right?
Schmeckle, this is not medical advice but most will websites will tell you that dt's happen between 48 and 72 hours after the last drink. I did not feel comfortable until that 72 hours had passed.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Trooper, it hasn't quite been 48 hours since my last drink, but keep in mind that most websites state that DTs only occur in 5% of people quitting drinking.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just don't drink today!!!