Notices

becoming sober

Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

becoming sober

Hello everyone
I'm new to this website. I decided to become sober a year ago.i have recently relapsed.

eing a working mother of four i don't have time to make friends and mostly I'm afraid to meet new friends because im not sure ti handle social situations in settings where alcohol is present.
Like just recently i attended a party and ended up drinking.I'm not proud. So here i am trying to find others who are going through the same situation.

Thank you for having me join the group
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beachgirl0218 View Post
Hello everyone
I'm new to this website. I decided to become sober a year ago.i have recently relapsed.

eing a working mother of four i don't have time to make friends and mostly I'm afraid to meet new friends because im not sure ti handle social situations in settings where alcohol is present.
Like just recently i attended a party and ended up drinking.I'm not proud. So here i am trying to find others who are going through the same situation.

Welcome beach girl!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you're here beachgirl!

The social thing sure is tricky. I have people telling me I need to disassociate from friends who drink but I'm too stubborn to do that. Until I REALLY hit rock bottom - I refuse to bail on my friends and family just because I have a problem.

I know this is NOT the case but to me it sure does seem alcohol is EVERYWHERE. I have very few friends who do not drink at least occasionally.

You're definitely not alone being fearful of the social settings.

Stay strong and focused and GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our family! I'm glad you found us and joined us.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by beachgirl0218 View Post
Hello everyone

and welcome to the group.
Stick around you will find a lot of good stuff.
A year sober is very good!
Good too if you can befriend some outside sober groups.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Beachgirl, to SR, happy you are here. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beachgirl

maybe you need to meet sober people?

have you considered a recovery group like AA or a non 12 step alternative like SMART LifeRing or Women for Sobriety etc at all?

D
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Beachgirl.

You will find tons of support here. Reading and posting here has helped me tremendously in getting and staying sober.

Maybe it would help to join in activities where alcohol isn't present? Maybe you could join a gym or a yoga class where you could meet people in an alcohol-free environment.

One thing that helps me at social events where others are drinking is really looking at how others behave. Most of the time you can find somebody making an example of just why you don't want to drink- being loud and annoying, vomiting, driving drunk... really looking at other drinkers helps to keep me sober. It also helps to really think the situation through. Sure, a drink might sound nice... but how are you going to feel the next morning? Then, it doesn't sound so nice after all. I find that being really honest with myself about that helps, too.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Don't beat yourself up about it. You slipped. Most of us here have been in the same boat. That is now in the past so focus on today. Today you are not going to drink.