Notices

Weekend drinking?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone tried that BoSox...

I'd drink on the weekends what most people would drink in a week, and then find eventually my 'weekends' started on Thursday and ended on Tuesday....

Instead of trying to accommodate weekend drinking, why not go the other way - make plans to stay sober next weekend - start now....look at the things you need to change about your weekend lifestyle and change them?

D
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi There BoSox1!

I think that by reading through this thread you can see that there are many others who have done the same that you're referring to. Well, count me in! Weekend Warrior here! This is my 4th attempt at sobriety and it's Day 57 for me. On my last failed attempt before this I did exactly what you're considering. I only drank on Friday and Saturday. My reasoning was that I could sleep and recover as much as I wanted on Saturday and Sunday mornings and would also not be hungover on days that I had to work.

For the most part I was able to do it. However, believe me, I made up on those two nights for every other night that I didn't drink. Not only that but my blackouts came on almost every time and when I was drinking I truly wasn't enjoying it after the first few beers. After that all that I thought about was where my next beer was and how I could do everything in my power to keep the party going, even if the party was just me, myself, and I. Just give me a keg and get outta my way! What fun (detect note of sarcasm). Every time I drank, I drank like someone was going to take it away from me if I didn't pound it down.

So, weekends didn't work for me either because I was completely out of control. You bet your sweet bippee too that if I could find an event going on during the week that I could go ahead and allow myself that because it was "special" and not the norm. I saw where I was headed with that.

However, and this is probably the most important part of my post. After getting past 2 or 3 weekends of sobriety I discovered something. That I wasn't so ornery during the week anymore. Things that used to stress me out rolled off of my back. I was happier during the week. Then I figured it out. It was because all the time during the week that I wasn't drinking, that I wasn't living, I was waiting to drink. That was my life, either drinking, being sick from drinking, or waiting to drink.

I saw a signature line on here by quitforme79. It says

“When you quit drinking you stop waiting.”
I stopped waiting on 11/13/2012.

Well, I stopped waiting on 5/27/13 and I never looked back.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Weekends are a bit tough at first but getcherbutt on here when you are feeling like you can't cope. We'll be here to help!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lady blue, thanks a lot for your post. Your reasoning for drinking on weekends is exactly the same as mine. But like you did, I find myself really blowing it out on fri and sat nights and spending all weekend recovering. I agree too that I spend all week waiting to drink. I could be enjoying weekdays as well if I wasn't just looking forward to drinking. I also start feeling great by thurs or fri, only to start all over again..thank you all for all the kind words and support. I have every intention to spend this weekend sober and look forward to giving you guys a happy, clear headed update on Monday.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It's actually kind of wierd. Although I do count days what really hits me is that I've been 8 weekends without alcohol. Please, please, please come here this weekend when you start to feel the urge (if you do). It helps!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 weekends! That's a real accomplishment. You must feel unbelievable! I will definitely have the urge on Fri. Night and I will appreciate the support! I know I can do it but it will be challenging..
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

You can do this!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lionhearted that is exactly what I use to do, not drinking every night but drinking out of control the nights I did drink and then feeling lousy about it for days and saying I wasn't doing it again just to start again a few days later.. So happy I broke that cycle and I am done with that vicious cycle...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If you feel guilty about your drinking and make bad choices when drunk that you wouldn't do sober then you have a problem. Good luck...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Before I quit drinking for good, I was able to stop for days at a time, but I was always thinking about alcohol. When I was going to be able to drink again. I was constantly in a state of wanting and anticipation. It was exhausting and took a lot of energy and joy out of things.

When you drink two days of the week, your brain never really gets a chance to clear the obsession. Chemically it is still under the influence. If you can really break the cycle I think you'll feel, like so many of us, that it is an amazing relief!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You sound like me. However my Friday's turned into Thursdays which turned into Wednesdays. Strangely Monday/Tuesday were clear my head days. Look mom, I can go 2 days, I don't have a problem! Yeah, so frequency and quantity may vary between all of us here, but we all have a problem.

I think the scientific studies show you need elongated periods of sobriety (3-6mo starting) to reap the major benefits of brain chemistry modification. I'm personally still working on my fist month.