Notices

It takes a sense of humor . . .

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It takes a sense of humor . . .

Let me preface my comments by saying I am an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in 3 days. I have known I am an alcoholic for many years. The only question I have had was whether I was ever going to do something about it. I have gotten sober twice in the last 25 years; once for 6 years and once for 18 months. Other than those years, I have been an active alcoholic.

Last week I drank every night. Monday thru Friday. Three nights I drank one-half of a fifth of Jack Daniels. The other two nights I drank an entire fifth each night.

Over the years I have pretty much been a Jose Cuervo or Jack Daniels drinker. I did spend a few years on the wine circuit but decided the hang overs from hard liquor were more tolerable than from wine.

Relatively speaking, I have missed little time from work as the result of my drinking. Always felt it was my punishment for misbehaving the night before.
Over the last 5-10 years I have not remembered the end of many nights. This has created a lot of awkward moments/situations with my husband, family and coworkers.

After hitting the bottle hard last week, I woke up Saturday morning finally ashamed of those awkward moments/situations. I thought I might try to abstain for a while. Now, no one knows better than me what a great motivator a bad hangover is. I've done this a thousand times, and failed 998 times.

Right now I am at very high risk for drinking at any time. Remarkably my withdrawal has been fairly mild, but I know it can come out of nowhere.
Today was my first not hungover day at work in a very, very long time.
Within 30 minutes of my arrival a customer came in to thank me for a nice job I did and handed me a bottle of champagne. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

I didn't drink it. I learned it takes a sense of humor.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find the Universe has a great sense of irony.

I got more free bottles of whatever in the months after I quit that I ever did all those years drinking.

I dumped them all

D
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Timelord

Since I've been sober I've had my 40th birthday. You can't believe the amount of booze I got. Which goes to show really what people think I'd really like, a little worrying but there you go! Anyway the beer goes to my Dad for helping me when I was rock bottom. The wine I'll keep for Christmas Presents, as long I don't give the same wine back to the person who got it me lol. And the two bottles of champagne I'll keep for my wedding day next year for my Bride and guests to enjoy.