Notices

Antidepressant withdrawals

Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Night owl

Antidepressant withdrawals

Does anyone have experience with them? I am still on my suboxone taper and have just stopped taking my antidepressant, Pristiq, a couple of weeks ago and the withdrawals have been horrible. Physically it's not as bad as opiate withdrawals but emotionally/mentally it has been much worse. I have been a mess.

The main physical problem has been constant migraine but I am taking 5HTP which helps to stop them. I have had crippling anxiety, increased depression, sometimes to the point that I can't function, feeling literally like I am going insane, just going to vanish into insanity plus extremely irritable, short-tempered and ragey.

I have gone off antidepressants in the past and not had anywhere near this bad of an experience. I don't know if it's because I am on the suboxone taper, too, so my body isn't getting enough of too many things it's used to or has come to need or what but it's really scary.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what you've done to get through it. How long it took, any supplements you used, etc. I'm not asking for medical advice just your experience, strength and hope. I will be seeing a new doctor in a couple of weeks, until then I don't have medical help with this.

Thank you.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Did you taper off the Prestiq or go cold turkey?

When I switched Dr's, my new doctor wanted me to go off of it and I had to taper. At first, I went cold turkey and had a very difficult time, as do many from what I have read.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Night owl

I tried to taper but it is time release medicine so I could only partially taper. I went from the 100mg to the 50 mg tablet then I took it every other day then I stopped and started taking the 5HTP which is a precursor to serotonin.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Hi Lyoness.

You say you have gone off anti-depressants before? I presume it was a different one? Venlafaxine is well known as having some of the worst withdrawal symptoms of the SSRI/SNRI meds. A lot of people throw the towel in and go back on it because it can be such a rough ride.

When I was tapering off them I cut the extended release down into quarters and smaller. Of course they then cease to be extended release but it still gives enough of the medication to stave off the worst of the symptoms...not that that's much use to you now that you are off them completely.

There is a site called crazy meds that has some good info about how long withdrawal might take. Worth a look. I didn't make it incidentally - I went back on, but I shouldn't have been trying to stop in the first place so please don't let my example put you off. That's why I can't tell you how long it goes on.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks for the info, Chopper. I just heard a couple of months ago the same thing you just said, that venlafaxine was one of the worst to get off but by then I'd been on it for years. I hoped, though I figured it was a delusional hope, that maybe the Pristiq would be just different enough to prevent it. It wasn't/isn't.

I thought about cutting them up into pieces for my taper, too, how did you feel when you did that? I could still go back and do that if I just can't take it. I was really hoping to feel better by now. I was on Lexapro before and even though I had a lot of "Lexapro lightning" the emotional part wasn't near as bad nor as long.

I've seen that website before but I didn't know there was info on this. I will check it out. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

A withdrawal from some anti-depressants could create what they call "brain zaps." Take it from me. They suck big time. Taper. Taper. Taper.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

I should clarify that my migraines include the brain zaps so I am experiencing them, I just call it migraine now since it's all the same explosions inside my brain.

The challenge with the taper is that it's extended release and only available in 50 and 100mg doses. I was just checking out that crazy med site and it suggested switching to an SSRI temporarily and doing the taper off of it. I might ask my new doctor about that. Maybe I'll ask at the pharmacy, too, and see if they can help, just thought of that.

I'd ask my old doctor but she fired me for being an addict, so no help there. And another doctor I asked told me to just stop and I wouldn't have any problems. Unbelievable!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
And another doctor I asked told me to just stop and I wouldn't have any problems. Unbelievable!
When I got pregnant with my first child I stopped one SNRI cold turkey. I had the brain zaps (and was miserable) for a couple of days. Then all was well. This is of course, my experience. Just thought I would share in support of what your doc said.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went off effexor cold turkey. It was a good 4 weeks before I felt normal. SEvere brain zaps. Aching joints. The brain zaps were the worst. I just rode it out. Effexor is one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from but I am proof that it can be done.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Yep, I know they prescribe fluoxetine for that purpose because of its long Half-Life in comparison to some of the others.

When I took the smaller doses it did help a lot. But what Lucille says is worth thinking about - you might be already half way there. Good luck - I know it's a struggle.

Stu.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My doctor gave me Wellbutrin to help with the taper. I am not sure what caused it, but I kept throwing up so she took me off it. I remember feeling awful for about a week, then I was ok. Hang in there!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

If, as it sounds, you're doing this without medical supervision, it's a very bad idea.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by LucilleBluth View Post
I went off effexor cold turkey. It was a good 4 weeks before I felt normal. SEvere brain zaps. Aching joints. The brain zaps were the worst. I just rode it out. Effexor is one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from but I am proof that it can be done.
Yes, I just found that out right before I started tapering on the Pristiq. Pristiq is a form of Effexor and from what I was reading last night it is just as bad as the Effexor and Paxil for withdrawals because of the super short half-lives.

I am glad you were able to get through it and I am going to hope that maybe with four weeks I can be done, too.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by ChopperTS View Post
Yep, I know they prescribe fluoxetine for that purpose because of its long Half-Life in comparison to some of the others.

When I took the smaller doses it did help a lot. But what Lucille says is worth thinking about - you might be already half way there. Good luck - I know it's a struggle.

Stu.
Thanks. Yes, I'm leaning toward just going with it. If it doesn't let up in another couple of weeks then I will consider using another drug just to taper. But I really want off all of these things!

Are you considering trying to go off again or stick with it for now?

The crazy meds site was helpful, btw, and then I looked up SNRI withdrawal syndrome and got a bunch more links and information which really helped. I don't feel so alone or crazy anymore which is half the battle!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
If, as it sounds, you're doing this without medical supervision, it's a very bad idea.
Yes, I probably should have waited until I see the new doctor but I had already started tapering, as much as I could, and now I'm (hopefully) halfway through I'd like to keep going forward if I can.

The other problem was that the doctor I did ask told me that I could just go off of it, no problem. It's scary how uneducated they are about prescribing these powerful drugs.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Night owl

Well, just to add to my already insane anxiety my housesit folks just told me they're coming home a day early. Yikes. I have to clean and pack and so on. I really wanted to be here a bit longer. I'm grateful to everyone for your replies! I hope to check back in tonight.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
Well, just to add to my already insane anxiety my housesit folks just told me they're coming home a day early. Yikes. I have to clean and pack and so on. I really wanted to be here a bit longer. I'm grateful to everyone for your replies! I hope to check back in tonight.
I agree.

My mother had just died and my ex Dr gave me samples of Prestiq to "help me out." I was naive and blindly trusted her. So glad I switched doctors and learned a valuable lesson.

ETA - Oops quoted wrong post.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
A withdrawal from some anti-depressants could create what they call "brain zaps." Take it from me. They suck big time. Taper. Taper. Taper.
I agree 100%! Brain zaps are awful, and on pristique, they are the worst. They made me batty. Hang in there.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've just come off Prozac. Whilst it was easing depression it was making me so numb and making my anxiety worse. since going on I've realized it's one of the anti-ds that can increase anxiety so pretty annoyed by doc even prescribed it.

Anyway,I saw my doc who advised tapering off,1 every other day for 2 weeks then 1 every 3 days for another 2 weeks. the side effects of coming off were allegedly simialr to going on them so I was prepared. I tapered for a while but then stopped cold turkey as felt better. IN NO WAY AM I SUGGESTING THIS just saying what I did. I had some sleep issues and mild headaches but nothing near the horrendous side effects when going on them.That said,I've read prozac is one of the easiest to come off. I've been totally off 2 weeks now and feel so much better plus sleepingbetter.

I know you said you'reseeing your doc soon. Have you already seen them? It's advisable to see your doc before you come off/start a taper as everyone isdifferent.goodluck
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Idiot!

No Lyoness I shouldn't be trying to stop lol just a mad idea I get from time to time that I am cured of my many ailments. I will probably be on them for the rest of my life.