SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First time here :-) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/301761-first-time-here.html)

Peach2013 07-22-2013 08:44 PM

First time here :-)

Hi. I just wanted to say hello to everyone. This is my first day here. I'm 24 hours without a drink, and I know that doesn't sound like much but it is the first step on my journey. I hope ya'll are having a great evening. :herewego

Bellasue 07-22-2013 08:48 PM

I'm right there with you! Not quite even at 24 hours yet! Hang in there!

Dee74 07-22-2013 08:48 PM

Not much?
It's the first and most important step of all Peach! :)

well done - and welcome :)

D

Happier 07-22-2013 08:49 PM

Glad you are both here. Welcome.
Each day is significant. Congratulations.

Anna 07-22-2013 08:51 PM

24 hours is fantastic!

Keep reading and posting.

mecanix 07-22-2013 08:51 PM

Hello and welcome Peach ,

5am here in the UK, just getting up ready for work :) there are people from all over the world here ..

24 hours is a great achievement , they always seems to put the most difficult bit of recovery at the begining .. :You_Rock_

Bestwishes, m

taps928 07-22-2013 08:54 PM

Welcome Peach. It's not the first day of your journey. I am on day 3 and EACH day has been a journey! Glad we are here.

Kiimber 07-22-2013 09:44 PM

WELCOME! I'm a newbie to this forum as well! You have to start somewhere! "One day at a time, you don't have to pick up another drink"! :You_Rock_

DG0409 07-22-2013 10:28 PM

Welcome Peach. Congrats on Day 1!! We all do this one day at a time.

The first day was the most important for me, because without it, I couldn't have gotten to any of the days after that. Way to go!!

BarbieKen 07-22-2013 10:37 PM

One Day At A Time, that's what I was taught in the rooms. Those one days strung together have given me over 250 of sobriety/recovery. Congratulations!

EndStage 07-22-2013 11:07 PM

I just want to say congratulations to all those who are new to this site and new to sobriety. I used to hate the term, "I understand where you are coming from ..." Yes, we all come from different back grounds, hurts, habits, struggles, hang-ups, etc ... Here at SR, we are family and we do get it. If you are struggling with the addiction of alcoholism, you will find strength and encouragement. I know I did when I was first trying to get sober. SR was the first thing that allowed me to realize that I was powerless over my alcohol addictions. I would always read peoples post, read and read some more only to catch myself thinking, "is this true? There are other people out there struggling with what i'm going through? Wow. I want what they have - Freedom." One thing about alcoholism that I have come to realize about myself, I am an alcoholic and I will always be an alcoholic. I must take it one day at a time or even one moment at a time. Whatever it takes to keep me sober, from picking up that "one drink" I must keep pressing on. Your going to have your roller coaster days where things are confusing, and you are angry, bitter, upset with yourself and you do not know why. Just remain in progress not perfection. Do not try to speed up your recovery; you will fall. Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Remember that you are not responsible for your first thought, but you are responsible for your next action. I started off with SR, now I am in AA, CR, and I have a sponsor. I must do the things that feel uncomfotable at first to remain sober. Walking into a room full of alcoholics was not my idea of a great time, now I get p#$%ed at myself if I miss a meeting. I'm around people who know the feelings that come with being addicted to something that you can not control. Keep fighting, it's worth the fight to stay alive and sober for one more day!

Peach2013 07-24-2013 07:30 PM

THank you all for your replies!

I just wanted to say I am very happy to see all of the replies to my post. You all are very special people. at 11:45pm EST (that's one hour from now here in Georgia) I will have been sober for 72 hours ( 3 days!) I'm 44 years old and I've rarely missed a day of drinking for at least 14 years. I'm pleased that when I go back to my job next Thursday , I will be on top of my game and be able to give it my best. I have been a bit irritable and cranky today...and for some reason, I've been sleeping several hours at night yet still wanting to sleep my day away as well.

Thanks again for your support. I mean it. Peach

Mistical 07-24-2013 08:01 PM

24 hours is a big deal! Congrats and welcome :)

cleaninLI 07-24-2013 08:04 PM

Your very welcome peach. Congratulations on your 3 days sober! Keep coming back!

Nuudawn 07-24-2013 08:15 PM

3 days! Awesome : ) So glad you're here with us...fighting the good fight. I look forward to reading more of your journey!

DG0409 07-24-2013 10:30 PM

Way to go on 3 days!! :You_Rock_

Sleeping a lot is normal. I was exhausted the first couple of weeks and still sleep a bit more than normal I think. Sleep is good. It helps your body heal from all the damage you've done.

You might take a read through this link. It talks a bit about what we experience the first while after quitting and what we can do to make it easier. It helped me a ton to understand what I was going through. I took the advice about eating 3 meals and snacks in between seriously and it really helped me a lot.

Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?

snipe 07-25-2013 04:50 AM

Welcome! Staying sober 24 hours is a big deal. In fact, that's all you ever need to do is stay sober for 24 hours, one day at a time.

Some days are harder then others but my experience is that they generally get easier.

shellbellz 07-25-2013 05:22 AM

Welcome to SR Peach

You are doing great. 4 days today then! :You_Rock_

im still a newbie... the first few days were soooooo scary for me but SR has helped me so much.

I come here a lot!

Shells

shellbellz 07-25-2013 05:23 AM

Maybe join the class of July2013 - other newbies there as well...
I find it most important to not feel alone and SR helps with that.
Oh, and I find the chat room invaluable!

Shells

mecanix 07-25-2013 06:33 AM

I have been a bit irritable and cranky today...and for some reason, I've been sleeping several hours at night yet still wanting to sleep my day away as well.
It was like that for me at the begining , stick with it, it gets better . :You_Rock_

Bestwishes, m