Notices

Suboxone

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Suboxone

Hello everyone! I am new to this so I hope I am doing it right, if not please let me know.
Very long story hopefully a little less long, about a year and a half ago Dr started me on tramadol after she tried giving me Percocet for pain and I refused. My dad died when I was a month old from drugs and my mom went from pain pills for 20 something years to methadone for the past 17 years. So, I always knew to just not even attempt it because the odds were on my side that I could/would be an addict. After a few years trying to figure out where my pain was coming from the Dr gave me tramadol, she swore to me that it was a non narcotic and that it was not addictive. When I went home and took it for the first time, after about 2 hours I was so relieved that I was not in pain anymore and that I could take something that wouldn't get me high or cause an addiction. Well, after a little over a year of taking tramadol almost everyday I decided that I would not go back to the Dr for a refill and just see how things went, I didn't want to be dependant on drugs to get through the day for the rest of my life. I was fine for about 20 hours and then withdrawel started to hit, my mom came over to check on me and said she was sure what was going on. I got online and looked up tramadol (should have done that before I ever put it in my mouth) people who had taken it had so many horror stories about it saying that it was easier to get off of Heroin then it was to get off of tramadol. I was so angry and still am but you cant go back so I tried just getting through it, after about 4 days of hell and it didn't feel like there was a light at the end my mom had me try a 10 mg methadone (that was 4 1/2 months ago). Well, the methadone worked and stupidily I didn't do my research better because had I just taken it for maybe a week I would have been fine. But I was so scared to go through that again that I was afraid to stop taking it.

Last Monday July 22nd was the last day that I took methadone, I took 30 mg (that was the most I've ever taken at once) and then the next morning Tuesday July 23rd I checked into a drug detox facility at 8:00 am. I was really surprised that I didn't get as sick as I expected, in the past when I had tried going just 24 hours without methadone I was right back to where I began with being sick. The nurses right away wanted me to take some valium until I could hit the 36 mark of not having any methadone so they could put me on suboxone but I was ok so I just slept for awhile, still feeling somewhat ok at the 36 mark I wanted to wait a little longer so I waited until the 40 hour mark and took 2 mg of suboxone. 6 hours later they wanted to up my dose to 4 mg and I was doing ok so I wanted to stay at 2 mg, after seeing the Dr he had it written for 2 mg three times a day but I would skip the second time of day and only take it when I was starting to feel really bad. I was in detox for 4 days total and I didn't feel bad at all so I chose to go home without there blessing of course, they wanted me to stay for the whole 28 days that my insurance would pay for. They were worried I would get out and want to go get methadone right away, not a chance in he!! that was the last thing on my mind. I came home and still felt fine, only taking the 2 mg of suboxone twice a day and then I planned to taper about the 6th day because I don't feel like I am truly clean unless I am not taking anything at all.
Yesterday was a horrible day and I couldn't figure out why, I had began to taper so instead of taking 4 mg total everyday I only took 3 1/2 mg. I got online and began to read that with a methadone withdrawl you actually start to peak at the 6th, 7th or 8th day and that's when it gets really bad.

So, I guess my question is now that I just wrote a book (I apologize) do you think the reason I was not feeling so well yesterday after I began to taper was because that's when the methadone withdrawl was really hitting me? I am so confused with this entire thing and how drugs work but I know that I am ready to be done so I can wake up everyday without having to put more then a vitamin in my mouth. I am terrified of getting addicted to suboxone now and I plan on God willing not taking it for more then maybe 12-15 days, today is exactly 7 days. From what I have read, many people say that the 28 day mark is when it starts really getting into your body and holding on, I also read that less is more so I refused to go over 2mg. I thought I was doing everything right, I'm eating healthy, taking vitamins, drinking lots of water and juice and I am trying to stay active and not just lay around the house. I just want my life back, I am 38 years old married for 18 years and have three children and things have been MY "normal" for most of my adult life. I feel like I did so good in my teens and then my 20s and I waited to be almost 40 to become a drug addict. I am no different then anyone out there, I can now see how easy it is to fall and fall is exactly what I did. I almost feel like it was Karma's way of telling me not to be in judge of my mother because I have been so angry at her for being on methadone for so many years and could NEVER understand how a mother could allow a drug to run her entire life. Now I get it, I understand it and I now have the empathy and compassion for EVERYONE who has gone through this horrible thing called detox but I am so ready to be done.

Any advice and I will be so great full, God Bless
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a forum here just for your questions. Give it a look and welcome to SR!

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome pride74! I have no experience with the drugs you mention but I just wanted to welcome you to SR. I hope you find the link in least's post useful; I'm sure you will.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's interesting how life can give us an entirely different perspective than we had. I'm glad you're concerned about the suboxone and I know you will find support here.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Least for the link, it has been very helpful. I am also hoping to find maybe someone who has some personal experience as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pride,
I am on suboxone. I too was addicted to pain killers, one of them being tramadol. The reason why your wds from the methadone that you were taking peaked after you came home from detox is because of its long half life. Subs has the same long half life as well. Since you are only taking 2 mgs, can you work with your Dr. to taper the amount down to less mgs every week or so? Of course depending on you Dr. Advice? That way you won't feel the wds. Many people on subs taper until its a minuscule amount then jump off and hardly suffer WD. That, in my opinion would be the best way to do that. Sorry this happened to you. Many people take oppiates prescribed by their Drs. only to find themselves addicted. IMO it's near impossible to take them for longer than a couple months without becoming addicted to them. At least something good has happened from this horrible experience. Perhaps now you can forgive and understand what your Mom has been through.
If you have questions, feel free to pm me.
Good luck.
Amy