Notices

How to fix relationships and worried I wont be any fun :(

Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to fix relationships and worried I wont be any fun :(

After I pulled this embarrassing binge over last week and weekend. I feel so stupid. I know I can stop drinking but afraid I wont be any fun and people no doubt so many look down on me. I looked like a crazy fool to my boyfriend, his mom, his 16 year old son. How do I fix this. So sad. My boyfriend called everyone - including my parents that I do not have a great relationship with and are 2500 miles away...my sister, involved my drunk user brother and many friends. I wish he would have kept this more private. He added in a bit of his own story too. Im sad, angry, lonely and just plain feel like crap.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those kinds of fears are pretty common, Shelpy

Look around, we still have a ton of fun - I actually lost the joy in my life as a drinker - I have it back now

as far as fixing stuff - give it time.

I know you'd like to fix it all now - but I think the best thing to do is focus on yourself - work hard at staying sober, let people see you've changed, let people work out their own anger and calm down.

D
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

...worried I wont be any fun
Originally Posted by Shelpy View Post
After I pulled this embarrassing binge over last week and weekend. I feel so stupid. ...I looked like a crazy fool to my boyfriend, his mom, his 16 year old son. ... So sad. ... I wish he would have kept this more private. .... Im sad, angry, lonely and just plain feel like crap.
Who, exactly, was having all the fun this last time out?

From your description I'd say you can safely take "makes me more fun" off your list of reasons to continue drinking.

There's a better way. You can do this.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wondered what I'd do if I didn't drink. I found out that I can do anything I want and do it better to boot.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to agree that what you have described, doesn't sound very fun. Do you drink to come out of your shell, initially at least? I find I drink to be fun, funny and get the party started, but then I think really people are laughing at me, not with me, and the the negatives I need to deal with the next day way out weigh any fun I had.

Keep it up, we are perfect just as we are without the booze
Old 07-23-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I was so worried I wouldn't have anything to say and that I wouldn't be funny anymore... I mean, I really worried about it. In still funny, and you know what? It isn't bitter anymore. Don't let that be your worry.

Also, he may not have kept it private, but you can't change that. Show everyone how serious you are by getting sober. you can do this!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Its a lot easier to let loose and be in control when you are sober. People can feel more secure around you as well as things are more predictable.

On occasions i was a nasty drunk, and ehen not drunk i was not pleasant to be around. Things are better all around.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Being sober will make you happier and happy people are definitely more fun than those in the throes of active addiction.

As for your loved ones, give them time, let them see that you're committed to sobriety and living your life well and they'll come round in time. It's easier said than done but be patient.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

I had the same fear of being unfun.

I found that when I first got sober and started around friends who still drank that I was actually less fun. I didn't embarass myself or shame myself. But I wasn't as fun.

Didn't take me too long to realize the reason I was less fun was being I was so nervous and preoccupied with being afraid of not fitting in that I fulfilled my own prophecy.

Now, the friends I have, when I'm one or two of the sober ones at the party no one treats me like the wet blanket. The biggest differences now are: A. my friends offer everyone else a drink but me and B: I'm not the one who peed on someone's housecat, and who everyone's mad (pissed?) at for days after.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Should I be angry?

Should I be upset still with him for making me a spectacle. He and his family are so into creating drama. It was almost like it was a game show to call all these people that he knows I am not close with- he embellished it greatly and upset a lot of people. He added in his own details and lies. Instead of not waking me up in a drunk sleep and waiting for me to sober up and telling me he is concerned and to go to aa- which I have been and doing great....first checked me into a acute hospital and left me there- all they did was run saline. He told the doc to not discharge me and later drove me 45 min away and tried to check me into a psych ward...etc etc there is more. Oh, I was sleeping when he woke me up to take me to the psych place which he called a detox... I feel angry towards him...he so involved his mom and son more than they already saw...he is a cop a manipulative angry alcoholic himself cop- one that I love. damn it.

Last edited by Shelpy; 07-23-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Seems like a very bad situation after your last binge. What changes will you make to ensure this doesn't happen again?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welp, I am not drinking... tonight will be meeting 7 in 4 days...