Notices

I still have my job, family, wife, life, health, freedom

Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I still have my job, family, wife, life, health, freedom

But I did f**k up some important projects that were going on at work with my addiction. Even though all people really know is that I was "sick" and had to go to the hospital for awhile, it caused me to drop the ball on some very prestigious stuff I was involved in at my work.

I'm dealing with some regrets today in relation to an email that I had to deal with, that was a side effect of me dropping said ball(s). I can't help but think that people suspect my "sickness" was in the end just me f**king up, being a screwup, and that in the end I'm just not someone to trust with important projects.

Addiction sucks.

52 days today.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dr S

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about what people think.

Reputations are not immutable tho - 7 years ago I was the neighbourhood bum, the guy everyone would cross the road to avoid.

If I can get past that, you can get past this

D
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey DrSober - Congrats on 52 days!!!

I think I am catching my problem right before my work was about to suffer. I think I am lucky in that way as my job is VERY important to my family.

I would like to think that the "new you" can change any impressions your co-workers may have of you (if they have any at all).

Either way - the best thing you can do is take care of yourself and work hard at your place of employment - usually that is rewarded.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Focus on now, not yesterday. Yesterday's gone and can't be changed but you can do something about today.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have found that the more quickly you hold your head high and move on, the more quickly others forget and focus on how you're behaving now.

I had profound shame and when I quit I knew I had to adopt that philosophy or I'd drown in shame and never succeed. So I have just refused, absolutely refused, to let that shame rent space in my head and as I continued to behave respectably, productively, concientously and honorably, pretty soon people seemed to think I was always behaving that way.

People have short memories, especially in the workplace. After all don't they alsays say: what have you done for me lately? The accomplishments done or not done in the past fade, as you wow them with what you've done today.

Anyway seems to have worked for me and I'm 17 and 1/2 months sober now.

A big congratulations on your sobriety! That is so fantastic and it just gets better.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
I can't help but think that people suspect my "sickness" was in the end just me f**king up, being a screwup, and that in the end I'm just not someone to trust with important projects.

Addiction sucks.

52 days today.
Congrats on 52 .. Even thought I am struggling today; I can say that I have learned all it takes is 1 good thing and everyone looks past that "screw up" .. I have been the "screw up" as well as "the fixer" off and on so many times lol Good Luck.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
I have found that the more quickly you hold your head high and move on, the more quickly others forget and focus on how you're behaving now.

I had profound shame and when I quit I knew I had to adopt that philosophy or I'd drown in shame and never succeed. So I have just refused, absolutely refused, to let that shame rent space in my head and as I continued to behave respectably, productively, concientously and honorably, pretty soon people seemed to think I was always behaving that way.

People have short memories, especially in the workplace. After all don't they alsays say: what have you done for me lately? The accomplishments done or not done in the past fade, as you wow them with what you've done today.

Anyway seems to have worked for me and I'm 17 and 1/2 months sober now.

A big congratulations on your sobriety! That is so fantastic and it just gets better.
This is a beautiful piece of advice.

Also, remember that we don't always know exactly what others are thinking even if we are convinced we do. A lot of our shame and our paranoia are self-produced and it's kind of second nature for drunks to assume the worst in most situations. Just because you're not drinking anymore doesn't mean that sort of thinking fades away immediately. Hang in there and, as Eternal Q says, just hold your head high and keep moving forward. Everything can change no matter how bad it seems. That is one constant I am sure of

You're doing awesome!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are often consequences that pop up in early sobriety. Be very proud of your 52 days sober and stay on course.