Notices

Day one.....

Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one.....

I decided last night that I have a problem with alcohol. Actually, I have known it for some time. I decided that I need to quit. I have become increasingly forgetful.....make appointments while drunk, then don't show up for them. Forget conversations I have with my friends, family, even children......while drunk. I am slowly killing myself. I don't even like myself much anymore.

So, today is the first day of the rest of my life. I have committed to make the change. And I have told people I have a problem, which I have always denied before. I have a brother who is also an alcoholic, who I am going to lean on for support. My husband is also onboard and supportive.

I hope I will get advice and help here as well. From the limited posts I have read, it seems like a warm and welcoming place. It is of great comfort that you can find a place where we are all in the same boat, so to speak.

So what do I need to know in the next few days and weeks? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I push forward.....
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It's a great source of support. I'll chime in with a few ideas later today!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to our community. This is a safe place to share and you will find lots of support and encouragement. We don't all take the same road but we do share the journey. You are not alone and I am grateful to share the journey with you. You have already made some huge steps toward recovery.... Admitting you have a problem and sharing that with those close to you. If you think you might have trouble detoxing from alcohol, you may want to contact a physician.
I cannot promise you it will be easy but I can promise you it will be worth it. It is different for everybody but here is some information. Here is some information on cravings you might find helpful. I can only share what others have shared with me because I never experienced the physical craving for alcohol that many of us have. Some say that exercise helps, also eating something sweet.
Having stopped alcohol use, the frequency, intensity and duration of cravings differ from person to person. The bad news is they occur; the good news is that over time they generally lessen in frequency and duration.
The trick is to stay safe while riding out the wave. One way to view abstinence and sobriety is simply preparing for that moment when a craving occurs, nobody is watching, and nobody would know if you used, except you. What do you do?
What follows are some tips and tools that may get you through that moment of danger. Not all tips work for all people, the trick is to find the one that will work for you.
1. Buy yourself some time, distract yourself with exercise, work or cleaning, get busy. Put yourself in a safe place where alcohol is not available. Cravings pass with time.
2. Play the movie forward, remember that we are talking about 'just one'. Once you pick up, control goes out the window.
3. Talk to someone. This is the purpose of building a social network, utilize it. Go to a meeting, call your sponsor, best friend, relative or counselor. Talking it out with someone who really understands helps prevent a return to active alcoholism.
4. Pray or meditate. Ask for help in just getting through this. Use the Serenity Prayer. The point is to ask for help outside of yourself.
5. Remember the pain and bad times, and the fact that you would be risking everything good that you have worked so hard for. Try focusing in the positive, not drinking and all the reasons you should not do it.
6. H.A.L.T. Hungry, angry, lonely, tired: If you are in any of these states, fix it. Eat, sleep, chill out, go visit someone.
7. Remember a craving will pass with time and when it's through, you come out on the other side even stronger.

Hopefully this information will help you. Just remember the craving will pass. I will be thinking of you and saying a special prayer for you tonight.

I also suggest you find some type of face-to-face support but we are always here for you. Just let us know how we can help. Browse through the forums and continue to post. I am glad you found us.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Welcome Bellasue,

SR here is a good source of instant support , it's also a brilliant library of information.

I found sitting down all weekend or whenever i had a spare moment and reading some of the older threads useful .

Keep at it

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today is my day one also

Today is my day one.. I've denied being a binge drinker for years. I have finally admitted there is a problem and with the support of a friend I will be at my first meeting in about an hour. I have no control over my alcohol addiction and I no longer like that person it isn't me . Saturday I drank approximately 1 pitcher of beer mixed w vodka , 2 bottles of proseco , 5 jack n coke doubles and lord knows how many shots of Jameson. All while on a trip w friends.. I was thrown out of a bar became very angry said things I would never say.. Cried.. Panicked.. Thought of suicide.. My very loving boyfriend ( who doesn't drink) has had enough so I choose him not the alcohol . I'm scared yet excited.. I worked in bars my whole life have binge drinking friends and I know I have to change my lifestyle completely .. Wish me luck !
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello Jayjaymurph,

welcome to you to .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you I'm so nervous
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, Bellasue and JayJay! You're right, Bellasue. This really is a warm and welcoming place. I also knew for some time that I had a problem with alcohol before I made the decision to quit. The main thing is, we're both here now. I suggest reading posts and posting as much as you can on SR in your first few days. I'm on day 15 and that helps me a lot.

Moving forward, think about having some sort of recovery plan. Getting sober is so much more than stopping drinking. We really have to work on our recovery but it's worth it. Just by reading the forums here and learning about everyone's various recovery programs/methods/philosophies you'll get plenty of ideas that you can feed into your own plan.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I made it through my first meeting it was very emotional
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am curious Jayjay if there were any details of it you would like to share.

Meetings is one thing I really feel uncomfortable about.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome bellasue - you too jayjaymurph

D
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi bob.. I guess the religious aspect is a bit much for me .. I definitely pray and believe in god but that's not the support I was seeking from the group I did like them allowing me to speak and hear other people's stories.. I'm a binge drinker I don't drink at home or during the week but come the weekend look out!!! So it's been easy for me to convince myself I don't have a problem.. I've crashed cars .. Almost died.. Get Into physical fights..no problem.. Thrown out of bars.. No problem.. It's a huge problem and there were others like me