Notices

Notch day 3 on my belt

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Notch day 3 on my belt

Well - I made it through day 3 despite hosting a small group of friends and sitting in front of the BBQ for several hours.

Not a whole lot to report except for a couple of observations:

1. My drink of choice for the last 5+ years has been vodka, lime juice and water on the rocks in a large plastic cup (classic I know). Yesterday, every hour or so, I would fill up my cup with ice, lime juice and water. Tastes virtually the same. A couple of times I reached for the cup as though I was "drinking" drinking. Not once did my sobriety come up. I suspect not one friend even gave it a thought. In fact they all probably thought I was drinking. Not sure if this is healthy masking my drink - but it certainly worked yesterday.

2. VERY strange watching the slight transformation of my friends as the day/evening progressed. They are all "experienced" drinkers so there was no one puking in the pool and getting in fights etc, but everyone got louder. Everyone had more fun as the night went along. Made me wish I was normal. They will all (most likely) wake up today and go about their week without alcohol even being a concern. Damn - wish I could do that.

3. My wife didn't drink at all. Probably because she felt like crap from the night before. Either way it didn't impact my resolve to get through the evening.

I am seeing my doctor this afternoon. Not sure what will come of that.

Last night - with all of my awake time - I had this feeling come over me like this battle is FAR from over. Almost like I know I will crack somewhere down the road. Perhaps I am not as committed as I thought with feeling like that creeping into my head.

Either way - day 3 down. Now to attempt to function at my job with minimal sleep.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey I have used that faux drink trick before and it definitely works. I see no problem with that at all.

Keep it up.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three days! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going on day 3 Bob

D
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whatever works for you is good, even if only in the short term.
I would question people getting really euphoric as not having an alcohol problem.
You might consider attending non drinking groups such as AA and adding some
new friends to your list.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by DrunkenBob View Post
Made me wish I was normal.
I think us sober people actually might be the normal ones, the drinking drugging people are the abby normals.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, I think anything with sugar/calories is going to sort of trick your brain in to thinking it's getting its fix. My tricks are soda, ice cream, and coffee. I constantly reach and grab nothing where a beer bottle used to always sit, too.

Congrats on day 3!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Just got back from DR. It went just as I expected. A referral to a shrink. No appointment until next Monday :-(

Oh well. Going to be a tired week I guess.

Think I will just hit the gym, eat dinner, watch the Giants game and try to sleep.

I've mentioned it before but I never would have imagined the devil in the details of sobriety would be sleep. I'm battling that more than anything else.

Thanks again for all of the support. Wouldn't even be close to this position without it :-)
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay for day three!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
I think us sober people actually might be the normal ones, the drinking drugging people are the abby normals.
This is exactly what I think too! Took me awhile to look at it this way, but it works for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

DrunkinBob, Notch day 3 on my belt? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!!! I hope you sleep better tonight
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on day 3 Bob (I cannot call you DrunkenBob since you're being a brand new sober Bob )
Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey congrats on Day 3! I think the "shrink referral" is pretty cool. I know I get a whole lot out of my therapist...just helps you get in touch with who you really are after being a bit lost for so damn long. Hope you find it as beneficial as I do...should you wish to stick with it.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Hey congrats on Day 3! I think the "shrink referral" is pretty cool. I know I get a whole lot out of my therapist...just helps you get in touch with who you really are after being a bit lost for so damn long. Hope you find it as beneficial as I do...should you wish to stick with it.
thx Nuudawn - I guess I'm not much for confiding in others - which is why I feel blessed to have found this place. It's easier here for me.

I hope you're right. I will keep an open mind and try to look forward to it.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Its all good
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenBob View Post
thx Nuudawn - I guess I'm not much for confiding in others - which is why I feel blessed to have found this place. It's easier here for me

I hope you're right. I will keep an open mind and try to look forward to it.
I dunno if this will ease your mind or not..lol. But I've read..and I have to agree..that going to therapy is pretty much finally having a conversation with yourself. I've been somewhat of a "self help" book addict for years. I compiled a lot of theory but little transformation (how could I when I was getting drunk most every night?). My therapist told me not too long ago that she never really told me anything I didn't already know myself. That was incorrect..the best thing she told me..was "you have to start listening to your self...always...24/7". And that's what I try to do..now. That does not mean I do not listen to others, it just means I have started TRUSTING...me (no not my fears or addiction lol...that little ole quiet person I've been trying to drown for years). I never really did that before. I second guessed myself and my instincts all the time.