Notices

I'm afraid to tell my friends I'm in recovery.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
I agree with you too.

I could not have coped if people came up to me at functions checking if I was 'okay' while everyone was drinking. This has happened recently to me and thank goodness it just made me smile.

I would hate well meaning people emailing me articles on drink problems from the newspaper or medical journals.

I would hate people not feeling like they can drink in my home or bring a bottle when they come to eat.

And I know that my mum would be forever saying 'do you remember Diana from when you were little. Lived in a big posh house with an ornaments in the garden. She's like you too!!!'

Can you imagine?!!!

xx
Just shows how many places we are coming from, personally none of the above would I give a second thought to. BE WELL
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

You are on the way!

The hardest part of getting sober is admitting to YOURSELF that you have a problem. Now that you have done that I encourage you to start the journey towards a life free of alcohol.

You are a VERY young man and have your entire life ahead of you. I GUARANTEE that a sober life will be WAY more fulfilling and prosperous than the life of a drinker. I know, I took a LONG time to come to this realization and wasted DECADES of my life tangled up with booze and boozers. I am really glad that you have the chance the avoid the pain and destruction that dominated my life.

I posted this in my 1 year sober thread but I will share it with you here.

My advice is this:
1. Admit to YOURSELF that you are the problem.
2. Remove all alcohol from your home.
3. Determine who your TRUE friends are. (hint: not your drinking buddies)
4. Distance yourself from anyone who is a threat to your sobriety.
5. Surround yourself with people who truly care about you.
6. Allow yourself to experience the emotions that will come about by making these changes in your life.
7. EXERCISE and drink lots of water.
8. Just DON'T DRINK. For the next minute, hour, day, week or month... whatever works for you.

Before you know it, you will have a YEAR SOBER!

Only YOU can make this change.

I will add that anyone who judges you or attempts to derail your sobriety is not a TRUE friend. While it may be hard, distancing yourself from those folks will be key to maintaining your sobriety.

You sound like a very intelligent individual, please don't damage your future by continuing down the path you have been on. THE TIME IS NOW!

Good Luck to you.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There are many good words on this thread. I hope that you take them, and run into another direction with your life.
You do not owe anyone an explanation. Focus on your studies, and your grades. This is why you are in College.