Notices

Going to my first meeting

Old 07-21-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to my first meeting

Well, Im scared as hell but Im going to a meeting in a few minutes. Wish me luck.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck! Let us know how you like it.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thumbs up

Let us know how it went when you get back. I remember being nervous the first time I went to a meeting. You will be ok. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. You can just sit and listen if you like.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Angelina,
It went good- I am going back tomorrow. I got some numbers and am having coffee with a new friend prior to the meeting. I hate that I have to do this but if I don't I will loose everything. How long have you been sober?
S
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Shelpy!

It's always great to see new faces at a meeting--thank you for going.

I've been sober almost nine months thanks to AA.

Keep going to those meetings--it works!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Shelpy View Post
I got some numbers and am having coffee with a new friend prior to the meeting. I hate that I have to do this but if I don't I will loose everything.
Try not to hate it so much.

Resistance = pain; growth and change begin with wonder.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I used to resent my meetings but now i've found a few that i really like and it drives me crazy when i miss them. It's like, my whole day can be random and strange and out of my control but my meetings are always my safe haven. I can count on seeing good people there and i've never left a meeting where i regretted going. I leave them rejuvenated and comforted. It's really nice having that safe place to turn to.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish everyone would not drink- I am looking forward to feeling better but worried on how my life will change. I guess it can only get better, I just cant see it now. I wish my boyfriend would forgive me for my crazy drunk behavior. I acted nuts and I am horribly embarrassed. Instead of forgiving and supporting me he is being awful to me. ugh
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful

I got some numbers and am having coffee with a new friend prior to the meeting.
Did you meet the new friend at the meeting? If so I would say that all in all it was a pretty nice evening.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

keep an open mind
Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did. We read a chapter and then they talked about their experiences...I was too shaky and nervous to talk. Going to a diff one tomorrow. Im gonna need to go as much as possible for the time being. My boyfriends mom told me I smell of alcohol like a homeless person. I think she is exaggerating but still hurt my feelings. Im not drinking a thing ever again...I hope.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shelpy, about 5 years ago I went to my first meeting even though I had convinced myself that "I did not have an issue, everyone does..." I sat in the first half of the meeting and left. I shook my head and started to laugh at those who sat in the chairs blah, blah, blahhing about their drinking problem. I than walked to the nearest bar and order my poison only to wake up not remembering a single event that took place. Due to not remembering I felt guilty, angry, confused, and ashamed. I continued on drinking. Everywhere I went or with those I hung out with, all pointed out that I was an raging drinker and that they thought I needed help. I ignored them. Now, 5 years later, I found myself walking into a meeting, sitting down, and forced myself to stay. What I heard was from others sitting around the table put fear into my heart...I heard my stories... things that I have done when I drank, my behaviors, actions, and my addiction. Now, I do still have thoughts of "just one" drink... I know myself well enough that "one drink" will forever be my last because I would not just pick up where I left off, I will die and the last place someone would see me is being buried 6 feet under.
Keep going to your meetings. They really do help. Sometimes I just sit and listen, pass when it is my turn because listeining reminds me as to why I am sitting around the table in the first place. Its all about progress not perfection! Keep looking ahead one day at a time. You've got this and I'm proud of you!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 30+ years ago, I say this to let people know it can be done, The most important thing that I heard was KEEP COMING and get a meeting list, which is the most important literature available. Naturally there's a lot more to it and sometimes it comes like an avalanche. BE WELL
Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news Shelpy.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Keep coming back. It works!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I first started this process I started for what I considered good reasons. I didn't want to lose stuff, and I wanted to learn to drink like a normal person. I keep waiting in meetings for them to get the part about how to drink like a normal person. I don't think I had considered never drinking again! Who in their right mind would want that?

But, I keep going back and slowly but surely with finding a sponsor and staying open. I learned about myself... and the wreakage my life had cause not only to me but, to my family, friends, and my job. I was sad but, I was also determined to change. Not for them but, for me. I was hard I relapsed for almost a year before I was sure this was what I wanted. I had great friends who stood beside me and pulled me through. I now have been sober 18 months.