Notices

Good mothers don't drink irresponsibly!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You are a good mother...you recognise you have a problem and you want to get better. I am a mum too, and I believe being sober and happy is the best gift I can give to my children. Don't let guilt keep you down. Be well x
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Congrats on your continued recovery! I am 15 days sober and my relationships with my adult children has improved immensely since I quit. They are all so proud of me.

How did your liver ultrasound go?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My mom is an alcoholic. She has been sober for 2 years.

I love her more than anything. I am so lucky that I have her, she has helped me through so much and is a constant role model (and always has been, despite the drinking). She makes me want to be a better person. She is so beautiful and kind and loving. Even in her darkest hours, she has always been a good mom.

You are a good mother. The fact that you are concerned for your children says so. Do not doubt their love for you. Despite everything.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thankyou dayover :- ) , that made me cry , but happy tears :-) you have made my day, i cant thank you enough seeing it from a childs perspective . Your mum must be very proud of you . You are a very loving person and bless you for loving her through this xxxx
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi dayover , i just want you to know that i come back here to read your comment , it was so poignant . Everytime i get that massive guilt trip about my kids and what i could have done better, i come here , read this and it gives me some peace . Then i move on with my day ....
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello, I am brand spanking new to this group so I can't offer to much wisdom for I just decided to quit drinking today. I can empathize with you as I'm also a mom of three. I haven't been the best example for my 18 year old daughter, or my sons 21 and 12. What matters though is that we heal ourselves so that we can be there for them and be a good example, let's support each other, we can do this!!! One day at a time...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi fromthisday . Im so glad you joined . There is so much support here for newbies. Congrats on stopping I spose you just got sick n tired like the rest of us. My guilt feelings re my kids will always be in the background and i realise i cant go back , only forward . Im only a month and a half sober but i have seem my children more in that time than i have in the last year. They actually like being around me. Your kids will love their new mum . Please check back and let us know how you are doing and congrats for taking this step. Much love xxxxx
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome fromthisday....great decision. I'm day 40, mother, lover of wine. My life has changed dramatically in that short time. My kids enjoy being around me....we spend genuine quality time together. My son has stopped playing video games 4+ hrs a day, he was avoiding me when I was drunk (everyday). I sense so many other positive changes happening as well.
I hope you will come here as often as you need. You will find an abundance of support. And as time marches on, things will change and get better and better. Hang in there. The first few days are so challenging. Stay busy, hydrate and focus on the positive. Good luck to you!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Great job snoozyQ!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

well said sleeper :-) great advice xx
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Hi dayover , i just want you to know that i come back here to read your comment , it was so poignant . Everytime i get that massive guilt trip about my kids and what i could have done better, i come here , read this and it gives me some peace . Then i move on with my day ....

I am really glad to hear this Stay strong! All you can do is live for today, and make the best decisions you can for today, be a good mother today, be a good friend, a good listener, and a good you, just for today
Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

53 year old mom of 5 here, with 4+ years sober. Loved my wine. Snoozy, it takes as long as it takes, as they say. Better to stop dwelling on the past and time lost (spilt milk) and look instead to a future full of a strong, happy, loving you. Your family will forgive you, just try to forgive yourself. It takes a lot of self love to stop drinking. People who hate or dislike themselves rarely care enough to stop drinking. Why bother? Time to cut yourself some slack and realize that you are worth saving.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks longbeach :-) really good advice there , a lot to think about . These comments really strenghen my resolve . Hugs xxx
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

(My hand is up) Mother of 3, and I understand the guilt. What you said about not dwelling on the past, and moving forward is pretty much where I'm at, at the moment. I cant focus on what I cant change. Well done to you!!! You sound like a strong woman who is working towards a better future for youself and your kids. There is alot to admire in that....
Old 08-24-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks Sunset , its so nice to meet like minded mums like yourself. It makes us realise we are really NOT alone in this thing.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi snoozyq, welcome. No you are not alone. Everyone here is fighting some kind of addiction. Think about what happened in your first rehab. Why did it work for a year? I'll bet the reasons are still the same. Very best wishes to you. Sobriety is very freeing.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks pinkdog....given me something to think about xxxx
Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
SnoozyQ......I'm a mother of 4, in my 50s, former wino, who was terrified of going to the doctor to find out what I didn't really want to know. I know how scared you are. It's overwhelming. But it really is the best decision. You might be surprised to find out ( like I did) that things are not as bad as you imagine them to be. I got sober, my body healed, my family forgave me, and I got my life back. You can, too.

LDT

And the friendship continues ;-)

Wow! I have the day off and I'm reading through some of my very early posts .
How things have changed in 5 months.
So many people come and gone , yet friendships that will remain forever.

Thanks , SR is truly a miracle for me . I was a gonner. Xxx
Old 12-02-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

51 yr old mom of 2 here. Been sober 5+ yrs. Plenty of support on here and from the looks of it, a lot of mom's trying and succeeding in fighting war against booze in their lives. I'm glad your here.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Oh my snoozie what a blast from the past!!! That's the thread I was talking about. It affected me profoundly actually. That very thread brought me back to SR when I was struggling and took a hiatus from this site.

You have come so far so glad to have watched your growth!!!!
XOXO