Notices

Starting from scratch

Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting from scratch

Hi everyone. Just got home from detox today, and my wife told me about this site. This is my second attempt at sobriety. I'm hoping being able to talk here will help my recovery, as AA does not work for me.(the God thing)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi cementhead,

Welcome to the site. I have learned a lot by reading and posting here. There are a lot of people with good ideas and people that care (sometimes they are even the same people ). I probably don't use it enough, but its a great site. Glad to have you as part of it.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome cementhead! I'm glad you joined us. This place helped me get and stay sober after drinking all my life. It's so good to not be alone anymore. Looking forward to hearing more of your story.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Cementhead,

The support here is invaluable, and a lot of good information, as well.

If you're so inclined, there are other recovery methods (Secular 12 Step, AVRT, SMART, etc.). Check out the Secular Recovery section, if you're interested.

Welcome to SR.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site! You've come to a very supportive place.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR cementhead

D
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Had a really rough day yesterday. The job I was doing went for ****, and my manager was with me at the time. I was so pissed off that my crew let me down, after we got the mess cleaned up, we waited to start the job over, and I had time to reflect. I actually broke into tears while I was waiting, in front of my manager, and my cousin who works with me. I just wanted to leave and go numb myself. For some reason I'm more sensitive about things now. I wonder if it's because I can actually "feel" my feelings again.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Many in recovery discover that alcohol is NOT the long term problem, it's in our heads and we need to work on that once the deceiver alcohol is removed as a health food so many thought it to be. The work starts with the different forms of the feelings we carried for so long trying to find comfort for us by drinking. That might start with anger, control, insecurity, loneliness, many forms of fear and on and on. Once we get honest with OURSELVES sobriety can proceed. BE WELL
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone is so supportive here! Just talking to others who know what your dealing with helps so much!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cementhead View Post
I wonder if it's because I can actually "feel" my feelings again.
Yep. I was an emotional cyclone for about a month to two months after I quit drinking. Crying at the stupidest moments, getting super pissed over nothing, moody...

So, yes, I do believe a lot of it is feeling your feelings again. And maybe for the first time in a long time, too. As alcoholics we kind of stunt ourselves physically (brain chemistry) and emotionally (maturity) so it's a whole new world out there when we stop.

Here's the good thing: your brain is healing itself. And although it might feel strange now, soon you'll also be feeling joy (like real joy, not drunk joy) again as well as other, much more pleasurable, emotions. Trust me, the first time you are really, genuinely happy or joyful without booze? One of the best feelings ever and certainly worth getting sober for.

Hang in there and keep posting, the emotions will level out and take this as a good sign of healing even if it feels a little rocky at the moment