Notices

Delirium tremens - do I have this? What should I do? DAY 4

Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delirium tremens - do I have this? What should I do? DAY 4

Hi all,

Today is my fourth day without alcohol. I came off cold turkey and the first few days did not experience any serious withdrawal effects (other than severe cravings). Today is day 4 and last night I had a very hard time sleeping. I was having odd hallucinations (thinking that my pillow was a marshmallow, for instance), and not able to lay still. I kept tossing and turning.

Today, I feel like I am in a dream state. Everything feels very foggy. My head feels heavy. I'm having a hard time concentrating on anything. Is this delirium temens? I'm not sure what I should do. How do I reduce these effects? My doctor did not put me on anything for me coming off of alcohol. And it's Sunday, so of course I can't get in touch with him.

At this point, is it safer if I have a beer? What do I do?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No doctor here but it sounds to me like you're just exhausted. I have felt this way for several days. VERY little sleep at all.

The walking dead it feels like.

That said - I don't think a beer is the answer especially after day 4.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

please don't have a beer. Can you see yourdoc in themorning? I know forme days 3 & 4 were awful and I was so tired too, It will pass
Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I can get in to see him tomorrow. Day 3 (yesterday) was OK as far as how I felt. I was just craving alcohol, but nothing as far as feeling confusing, dizzy, etc. Today is just a whole new ballgame. Hopefully today or tomorrow will be the last day of this
Old 07-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dt are very physical convulsions and much much more. But I'm no dr. The first week sober is sort of Like living in a dream like state head in the clouds. Drink to a of water eat sweets to curb the cravings and just relax. It's do early on you will feel much better soon. If it gets to much or you are having lucid hallucinations or confusion go to ER don't wait for dr office to open tomorrow. Be well and hang in there!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Don't have a beer. If you're shaking, particularly if the shaking seems uncontrollable - and if the hallucinations are kicking in during the day, you might want to get yourself to an ER or urgent care clinic now before tomorrow. On the other hand, you may want to do that anyways.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by pleasehelpmeout View Post
Hi all,

Today is my fourth day without alcohol. I came off cold turkey and the first few days did not experience any serious withdrawal effects (other than severe cravings). Today is day 4 and last night I had a very hard time sleeping. I was having odd hallucinations (thinking that my pillow was a marshmallow, for instance), and not able to lay still. I kept tossing and turning.

Today, I feel like I am in a dream state. Everything feels very foggy. My head feels heavy. I'm having a hard time concentrating on anything. Is this delirium temens? I'm not sure what I should do. How do I reduce these effects? My doctor did not put me on anything for me coming off of alcohol. And it's Sunday, so of course I can't get in touch with him.

At this point, is it safer if I have a beer? What do I do?
Nope, that is your AV giving you reasons to have that said beer. Its a trick and a dangerous one. If you were going to have DTs, you would have already. You will be fine, but you have to stick with it.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I always found that the 3rd or 4th day of the withdrawal was the worst...if you can get through 5 days with no alcohol it will get much easier...you can probably get through it without going to ER (but I should not be dispensing that advice-only you know)...the withdrawals I had were much worse that you describe and hallucinations often do happen!

Please do not have that beer! It will most likely lead to more and then you have to start that whole cycle of withdrawal again!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I feel slightly better. I took a one hour nap and that seemed to help a little bit
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Days 3 and 4 have always been the worst for me, if you can push on to day 5 it does get much easier in short term physical relief terms. I find it exhausting in the first few days and a nap works wonders, even if it's only 20 minutes, not only does it wake you up, but it seems to subside the cravings too. I've had one night of drinking in 5 weeks now, coming up to 2 weeks off and I still swear by my odd nap to see me through. All the best please
Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks MyTime. same to you
Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i remember trying to eat peas with my dinner on day 2 or 3 and just throwing them all over the floor, i was shaking so badly. i detoxed under the care of my mental health crisis team, and the doctor told me that by day 3 or 4 the worst danger was over. i did get prescribed diazepam, but that was due to hallucinations and tremors the first couple of days.

if you don't drink, you don't have to go through this again. that thought helps me hang on to myself when the wheedling beer brain starts whispering in my ear.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr - there's a lot of things that withdrawal can do...but try and stay calm - I reckon you'd be in no doubt if you had DTs PHMO

D
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, I agree with Dee. You'd have little doubt if you were having DT's. I've had them, and for me they included hearing, seeing, and feeling completely different scenes of reality which would dominate over what was actually real around me. Totally immersive. Much more then just scattered instantaneous hallucinations. I also had numbness, shakes, and sweats. My last detox was supervised in a rehab. Lasted a few days. Its not pretty. Puking and soiling too. I didn't have physical convulsions with my DT's.

DT's are seriously not something that one should deal with on their own, but in any case, it's never wrong to check with a doctor for medical advice if you're not sure of what your experiencing.

As for drinking a beer, yes, I've used alcohol to get through a time of DT's. Of course, one drink is never enough, and drinking didn't "cure" my troubles with DT's. Drinking just kicked the can down the road some more for the next quit day.

The last time I had DT's I did not drink with them because I was supervised. Otherwise, I would have drank to moderate what was happening. Since you sound pretty good from your responses, and you even could start a thread, I'd say you're doing fine, and your just having some rough times in your early days of quitting.

DON'T drink any beer or alcohol. See your doctor again as you may wish, although I noticed you saying he did not already put you on anything for helping with quitting, so trust in his understanding of your condition.

Awesome going on quitting!!