Notices

21 Days and Going to start a Juice Fast

Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Well I was a "drunkorexic" for many years...saved food calories for booze calories. Please just promise me you will "eat" rather than "drink" if it gets to that okay? Your sobriety is far more important than your waistline.
I made a challenge to myself to not drink in July. I don't know if you read my introduction, but I am not sure I am interested in being totally abstinent. I just found myself drinking too much as of late and decided to make July a sober month. Whether I continue on the path of sobriety - well... maybe I will find this sobriety thing to be something I want.

I appreciate your concern Nu and support. In fact, I appreciate everyone's concern and support. This is an amazing forum.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I drink smoothies now too, usually in the AM. We tried running a few different veggies through the juicer today - it was tasty! Some more so than others, but once we mixed them all together and included an apple, it tasted pretty good. Definitely needs to be served cold, I think. Seemed like a waste in some ways - all that fiber left over. I gave a little to the dog - he loves veggies!
Let me know what you think of the movie! It was pretty interesting I thought.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LucilleBluth View Post
I made a challenge to myself to not drink in July. I don't know if you read my introduction, but I am not sure I am interested in being totally abstinent. I just found myself drinking too much as of late and decided to make July a sober month. Whether I continue on the path of sobriety - well... maybe I will find this sobriety thing to be something I want.

I appreciate your concern Nu and support. In fact, I appreciate everyone's concern and support. This is an amazing forum.
Well, hopefully you're sobriety in JULY turns out to be more important than your waistline. Keeping commitments to ourselves is so vitally important to our own esteem.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You should do the juicing if you can and have the time to do it.. I liked juicing but to me it wasn't filling enough .. Very healthy and not t be graphic but you will be in the bathroom a lot.. At least the first two days. I also do the vitamin water for work, half gallon of filtered water, one sliced cucumber, fresh ginger and one lime and mint if you want....all sliced and left overnight in fridge. It is great to cleanse your system.. I am a water drinker during the day... So this is a treat for me and sooo good for your body.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a fan of the fast in early recovery either I'm afraid - I think generally we need more nutrients not less after the punishment we gave our bodies as drinkers.

I can be a very all of nothing thinker (I know - shocker!) and I actually made myself sick with a sudden very spartan diet in early recovery, so go easy if you're going and listen to your body.

It's your body and your decision - just be aware sometimes cravings for other things (hunger etc) can manifest themselves as cravings for alcohol - it's best to be prepared for that

D
Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Good luck on the juice fast Lucille 1. If you insist on doing it, I agree that doing it for just the 3 days at this stage may be the way to go, then gradually incorporating other liquids then solids back into your diet as Dawn suggests.

I'm on day 14 and on a 1200 calorie-a-day diet. I am doing it for weight loss but also to try and control the kinds of food I put into my body. The other two times I've tried to quit drinking this year, I just replaced alcohol binges with binging on junk food and sugary food...and that just led right back to binging on alcohol.

When I'm further along in my recovery, I will try a cleanse but will probably do the green smoothie cleanse that InPerfectlyMe mentioned, because I have a blender, not a juicer. Did you just just drink the smoothies for the whole cleanse, InPerfectly? Or did you eat/drink other stuff too?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee - Upon reading the FAQs etc on the Juicing site I understand that juicing gives one extra nutrients/vitamins because one cannot possibly eat that much in terms of whole vegetables/fruits, but one can drink it. What type of fast did you do Dee?

Louise - about 7 years ago I went on 1200 calorie day diet and I was very faithful to it. I wrote down everything I put in my mouth. I lost 25 pounds in about 3 months. I allowed myself 1 day a week to eat anything I wanted and that included drinking wine once per week. I maintained that weight loss for about 5 years (but not the diet). About 3 years ago I got very depressed and ended up on anti-depressants and within 2 years had packed on 30 pounds. And it's flabby fat. I am off the antidepressants now, but the weight is still there (which is making me depressed).

I just feel I need a kick start. Thought it would be a good time while hubby is gone and gives me something to focus on. I'll see how I do on the 3 days.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't fast but I did a no sugar thing Lucille

D
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post
Hi Lucille. Have you seen the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? I just watched it last night actually, all about a couple guys who did 60 day juice fasts and all the benefits they got from it. I don't think I could do 60 days but I am planning on donig a 7 day juice fast as well. Going to experiment a bit first just to get some good recipes together. I've never done it before either! I will check out the Just on Juice site you mentioned.

And congrats on 21 days!

-Alison
I watched the documentary last night and it is truly inspiring. These two were so ill, but they were also addicted to food and there were so many parallels to draw and compare to alcohol/drug addiction. I really felt a connection. Also, I watched a follow-up documentary "Hungry for Change" and it explored more of how we become addicted. Certainly made me glad that I never liked thse taste of diet coke and therefore never drank it.

Anyway, I an pumped about trying this fast now - these two guys were so inspiring.

I came away with this quote that really resonates with me.

"Whatever you hold in your mind in a consistent basis is exactly what you will experience in your life."- Tony Robbins
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lucille, how are you? I'm curious if you ended up doing the juice fast. I am on day 3 of. 3. It's tough, harder than I thought. I feel better today though I still have a headache, but I've been going through waves of nausea and hot then cold spells. I know you typically feel lousy for a day or 2 then come out of it, so I'm not worried, but it's not pleasant!! Can't wait for some solid food!!!

How did you do?

-Alison
Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sorry, I'm with Nu and Dee. I think a juice fast is a bad idea. I am also unconvinced of the supposed health benefits. Sounds like you and others have been sold a hyped up fad.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Lucille,
First of all, LOVE your name and picture. Huge Arrested Development fan.

I am a registered dietitian, and as someone who practices "evidence-based" nutrition, there is not a lot about there on juice fasts. That being said -- I like to try the new "fads" every once and awhile to see what they're all about. My main problem with juicing is you don't get the fiber and all of the nutrients from fresh fruits/vegetables which are one of their main advantages. IMO, you're better off eating the whole fruits and vegetables and saving the time by juicing.

I've also seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." Interesting stuff, but again, I am an advocate of whole foods. Keep in mind that documentary is also sponsored by the company that makes that juicer -- and they are selling it BIG TIME (saw advertising for the doc on a label on a Macy's juicer the other day).
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Well I was a "drunkorexic" for many years...saved food calories for booze calories. Please just promise me you will "eat" rather than "drink" if it gets to that okay? Your sobriety is far more important than your waistline.
Drunkorexic -- I was that!
I told a friend once, casually, about a year and a half ago ago "I'd rather drink my calories than eat." She said jokingly, "I think that means you have a problem!" -- turns out, it wasn't such a joke when I passed out in a restaurant from the reactive hypoglycemia that comes with drinking your calories.

Like I said above .. the irony is the situation is that I'm a dietitian, definitely not practicing what I preach.

Love the term!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Legs21 View Post

I've also seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." Interesting stuff, but again, I am an advocate of whole foods. Keep in mind that documentary is also sponsored by the company that makes that juicer -- and they are selling it BIG TIME (saw advertising for the doc on a label on a Macy's juicer the other day).
Exactly my point. It's about other people getting their greedy hands on your money.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of juice fasting. You know all those things we do that are supposed to be good for us, but we have to do them on faith? Like taking fish oil, or a multi-vitamin?

With juice fasting you feel good, and look good too. You don't wonder whether it's actually good for you or not, you know it.

I'm juice fasting today - I often do on Sundays - and because it's a long weekend here I think I'll extend it through at least tomorrow.

Go for it, OP!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 21!

Please keep us all posted on your progress with the juice fast. I too have developed a love affair with food since giving up the wine and I desperately want to lose a few lbs. Still early days sober though for me so I'm a it worried about getting too hungry and turning to drink again.

"Fat,sick and nearly dead" sounds interesting and I've just checked - its on Youtube.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, hubs and I can't take it anymore... Don't know when the feeling good is supposed to start, but we both feel awful. So it's dinner time at our house! We will definitely keep juicing, but no more fasts here. I feel terrible!!