Notices

Early Anxieties Dispelled by Long Term Recovery

Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early Anxieties Dispelled by Long Term Recovery

I've seen a lot of threads posted by folks who are just starting to get into recovery indicating considerable anxiety about what life is going to be like for them if they give up drinking for good. I’m sure most of you are familiar with what they often say. I felt that way myself in early recovery: “I’m afraid I’m going to be bored” “I’m going to lose all my old friends, ostracized because I’ve become a ‘teetotaler’.” “I needed alcohol to deal with stress, from the office and at home; how am I going to deal with stress without it?” “I’m afraid that giving up alcohol will hurt my creativity; isolate me from others who are creative.” “I’m afraid that life without alcohol is going to be gray, boring and monotonous, like every day is a cloudy day in early March.”
I can’t speak for others but I’ve found that with long term sobriety none of this has come true for me. Honestly I never feel tempted to have a drink. Even in moments of stress. I hardly ever think about it, about liquor which is still in a closet somewhere in case we have guests. We have folks over and serve them wine mostly and they never seem uncomfortable if we don’t have alcohol ourselves. As for creativity, I found this really took off after I quit drinking. The past 25 years have been arguably the best in my life.
How many of you feel as I do, namely that the fears you had in early recovery were for the most part unfounded and possibly were due to the more primitive part of your brain that was desperately trying to restore the alcohol? That, if you persisted and stuck with it, things would get better and better, that the world would brighten up for you?

W.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks. I needed to hear that right about now.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyones scared of stepping away from the familiar - even when its bad - and stepping into the unknown - that's a basic human reaction.

The more we get used to something we see often times that what we feared it would be like isn't what it's like at all

I certainly found that - I love my life....getting sober was one of the best decisions I ever made

D
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi W. That was a helpful & thought provoking post.

I agree - most of the things I dreaded never materialized. I had used alcohol to cope for so long I couldn't imagine my life without it. Briefly, in the very beginning there was a feeling of loss - and I was a bit sorry for myself. Yet I had to admit my drinking was not giving me an exciting life. I had become boring - isolating and living like a recluse. It was ridiculous to think I was missing out on anything. Mostly the joy of being set free took over and surpassed everything else.

Yes, my world is brighter - I'm glad yours is too W. Thanks for the positivity.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for that message. I certainly found it to be true in my life.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found the early anxiety and insomnia went away very quickly. Cravings were a lot tougher as was the "what do I do instead of drink" dilemma.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I've seen a lot of threads posted by folks who are just starting to get into recovery indicating considerable anxiety about what life is going to be like for them if they give up drinking for good. I’m sure most of you are familiar with what they often say. I felt that way myself in early recovery: “I’m afraid I’m going to be bored” “I’m going to lose all my old friends, ostracized because I’ve become a ‘teetotaler’.” “I needed alcohol to deal with stress, from the office and at home; how am I going to deal with stress without it?” “I’m afraid that giving up alcohol will hurt my creativity; isolate me from others who are creative.” “I’m afraid that life without alcohol is going to be gray, boring and monotonous, like every day is a cloudy day in early March.”
I can’t speak for others but I’ve found that with long term sobriety none of this has come true for me. Honestly I never feel tempted to have a drink. Even in moments of stress. I hardly ever think about it, about liquor which is still in a closet somewhere in case we have guests. We have folks over and serve them wine mostly and they never seem uncomfortable if we don’t have alcohol ourselves. As for creativity, I found this really took off after I quit drinking. The past 25 years have been arguably the best in my life.
How many of you feel as I do, namely that the fears you had in early recovery were for the most part unfounded and possibly were due to the more primitive part of your brain that was desperately trying to restore the alcohol? That, if you persisted and stuck with it, things would get better and better, that the world would brighten up for you?

W.
Amen!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

“I’m afraid that life without alcohol is going to be gray, boring and monotonous, like every day is a cloudy day in early March.”
I didn't realize how black & white my life had become the last few years of my drinking until after I stopped drinking. It took over a month of sobriety before I realized that for the first time in a long time I was seeing in color again. It dawned on me one day when driving though my neighborhood on the way to a meeting just how colorful and beautiful everyone's yard was. It was literally a moment!

And just like that moment, it seems like other things in my life are improving that I don't notice until they have already gotten better. Looking back only a few months I can now see that my anxiety has improved. While I can't say that I am never bored I am now OK with being bored, it is not a physical condition but a state of mind. The longer I stay sober the better my life is becoming. It doesn't all happen at once but is being revealed to me over time.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Having a rough night and this post really helped! Just want to say
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Grungehead! You wrote:" While I can't say that I am never bored I am now OK with being bored, it is not a physical condition but a state of mind. The longer I stay sober the better my life is becoming. It doesn't all happen at once but is being revealed to me over time."

That says it all! Right on!

W.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ettie View Post
Hang in there Ettie! It's worth the struggle. More than you'd ever imagine. If you just hang in there.

W.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ettie View Post
This is why we are here.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

22 months so far .
Anxiety has gone,
living form pay check to pay check has gone ,
debts are paied and gone ,
i'm more choosey about the company i keep and can appreciate how others influence my mood (emotional vampires gone)
depression gone,
If this sober life is boring it's my fault , there is a whole world of great stuff going on , and i can always come to SR and ring out the freedom bell to those still trapped .

I maintain that dull and bored is a state of mind , maybe that of someone who is always seeking stimulation from external sources , creativity is a bottomless font inside ourselves , it can take effort to draw on but it is abundant .

Thanks for the great thread wpainterw ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

wpw,
Long time no talk. I have the same experience after quitting, and I was drinking 24/7 for a couple of tears before the end. Three years now, and hope my recent health issues let me have those 25 years to look back on. With a little help from my docs I just might. If not, whenever it ends, it will be proud and sober. Sobriety is not what I will be proud of, that's the norm now. Proud of what I have accomplished, and will between now and then because I can again.

Good to read you again. Glad you are still in my world.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

W.
I never crave it either or even think about drinking in my daily life. The only time I think about alcohol at all is on this forum, when I am reading other peoples posts. Its not a factor for me and honestly, I am so much happier and content without it in my life, I just cant see myself ever going back to using. I have gained WAY to much by removing it from my life than anything it could have ever provided me.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks for a hopeful, inspiring post and thread. I need it, too.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for this, wpw. I'm on day 15 so that's a really encouraging and inspiring post to read. I hope to be posting the same thing with 25 years under my belt! As a writer, it's awesome to read that your creativity really took off after a year sober. Really motivates me to keep going.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah good thread w p w.
I'm just approaching five months just now and was thinking of posting along the same lines. I took the plunge into aa n ca to change my life, I tried on my own a few times n had a month or two month at a time n then came a spree of four or five days of carnage. In between them months I was trying to enjoy life with all these anxieties and in the end it all piles up and boom I drank again.
I knew sobriety was for me and ghat I can't drink , it causes more pain than it's worth. The life sobriety gives me is abundant. I'm learning again , I am constantly talk g things in. I am starting to deal with this person that I am and trying to find peace and happiness. I'm happy most of the time now and I see a good future if I can keep everything in today and enjoy each moment and not try to fight it. I needed aa and ca to give me the people to share stuff with and very importantly listen to, seeing how they do it and how well they look is enough evidence to prove to me that life after drinking is alot more rewarding and precious than a life drinking.
Peace
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

bumping this because this post is awesome
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post! Thanks