Notices

Need Help

Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

Hi
I am new here, Ive have been sober since January.
On Wednesday I went to visit my counselor for a session I had been in bed for 2 days with cold flu. She could tell I was sick, so we rescheduled for next week.

Where I go for counseling is also where my probation officer is 1 day a week. I had an appointment with him. I told him how sick Id been and he was understanding but said he was going to have to drug test me anyway. Friday I came home from work and had a message from him that I had tested positive for alcohol.

I was taking some liquid cold and flu medicine for about 24 hrs and I cant find anywhere there is a list of alcohol content of these products. Any help would be appreciated

thanx

rononx
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ouch rononx! That must have been a shock! First off congratulations on nearly 8 months sober! I would probably google any unrecognised ingredients as they may be in a form of alcohol, sorry I am not too cognisant of this topic I am afraid. I changed my mouthwash and even am not sure about using alcohol in cooking! I know I would hate to have inadvertently taken alcohol, but as that is what seems to have happened, you need to find a way to prove it to your probation officer. Can your counsellor back you up? Is there anyone else who has been alongside you on your recovery who can help? What are the consequences of the positive test results? Seem one may have better advice, but in the mean time keep focussed and keep strong.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A lot of OTC medicines contain alcohol. You may have to prove you were taking it, such as bringing in the bottle you were using. I'd ask your counselor to back you up as to you being sick. I hope your PO is understanding.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes over the counter cold meds especially NyQuil and stuff like that do have alcohol ,I'd bring him whatever you took and show him,it's sucks but that's why u can't ever have that stuff in rehab,I hope your feeling better and I'm sure the powers that be won't give u anymore than u can handle..best of luck. Jett
Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bringing the bottles in sounds like the best way to me - apart from that I have no advice but I wanted to welcome you Ronox

D