Notices

Trying to make this be my first day

Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Klk

Trying to make this be my first day

I have drank 3!glasses of wine on work nights and an entire bottle or more on weekends for many years. My life is not unmanageable ..yet. My 24 year old son came home 18 days ago from 60 days in rehab. We promised his counselor we wouldn't drink. My husband has had no proem with that. I hide , have my first glass when he goes to his meeting and retreat early to my bath to finish what I have always felt was the amount I have needed to fall asleep. I said earlier my life is not unmanageable, but this isn't right. If I can't stop drinking to follow my own house rules and to help my son who almost lost his life, I think I have a problem. I want to not drink wine tonight . Help, have always been afraid to not drink because I wouldn't sleep and my husband snores !!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If you're willing to risk your son's sobriety so you can drink then yes you definitely have a problem Did you think that his rehab was talking about somebody else's parents. You may wish to seek professional treatment and/or AA
Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Klk - I totally understand about the sleep thing. I am dealing with that exact same thing now.

However - when it comes to your children - they always come before everything - even sleep.

Just think about how your son's sobriety is more important than a good night's sleep. Not sure how long he is staying but perhaps if you keep that mantra until he leaves - you may end up solving your problem altogether.

Wish you luck!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Unmanageable" is in step 1 of AA's 12 steps, but you must remember this book was written 80 years ago and AA was for very hard core alcoholics only. They used to be very discriminating about who they let in. There were no open meetings.

By 1950, the 12 traditions of AA had evolved, including #3 - The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. Clearly this would include many people whose lives are not yet unmanageable.

By the time the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions came out, AA clearly understood this. Here is a brief snippet that directly addresses this:

Alcoholics who still had their health, their families, their jobs, and even two cars in the garage, began to recognize their alcoholism. As this trend grew, they were joined by young people who were scarcely more than potential alcoholics. They were spared that last ten or fifteen years of literal hell the rest of us had gone through.
So don't get hung up on the word "unmanageable". AA sure hasn't. If you feel like you need help it is out there.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I hope we can help you stop drinking. AA is a good option, as is counseling. Whatever method you choose to stop drinking, give it your all.