Notices

not camping, and not drinking

Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not camping, and not drinking

so, i was going to be camping right now. but i'm not.

had a car accident on the way. a deer jumped into my van instead. i had all my kids in it with me. they are all fine. i'm physically ok... but real shakey. the deer managed to get back into the forest, where i'm sure it has since expired. (the van is a mess, but probably salvageable.)

i'm so grateful we're all safe. i'm beyond grateful that i was sober all day. i am reminded of previous camping trips... where the lead-up involved drinking while packing all day. if i had been drinking, i may well have tried to veer into the next lane in desperation... the next lane in this case being taken by a huge suv going the opposite direction.

i am so grateful.

and now i'm going to a meeting. i'm feeling extremely off-center inside right now, so i need a room full of drunks to guide me back. (i'm so grateful to have them!)

and even though my body is trying to tell me i'm supposed to drink after something like this, i'm not gonna.

peace to all... we can do this...
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your accident but glad you and the kids are ok EM

D
Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're alright! It could have been worse but glad it wasn't.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WOW! Glad you and the kids are okay, and totally admire you for going to a meeting instead of what we used to do...numb out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Em, so sorry to hear what happened, no wonder you're shaken up, that must have been really scary. Glad you and your kids are ok.

Just curious, do AA members call themselves drunks? Sort of seems like putting oneself down??

Hope you get another chance to go camping.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Just curious, do AA members call themselves drunks? Sort of seems like putting oneself down??
This is very common in AA. "Hi I'm Taking5 and I'm a drunk" or "a grateful recovering drunk" are heard all the time, but this is by no means universal.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Taking5. I'm a bit surprised. I understand self deprecating humour, but within the context of AA, a working group, I would have thought it more "hopeful" if that isn't a paradox, to call oneself an alcoholic versus a drunk.

Anyway, thanks, don't want to derail EM's thread.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How frightening, and glad everyone is okay!!

You seem to be taking proper steps in your recovery...heading to a meeting as a means of support is great.

Also...I also think its common for AA members to call themselves "drunks" or "alkies". My mom has been sober for close to 40 years and still refers to herself as a drunk when talking about alcoholism.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks, all! feeling much better, kids are loving an impromptu movie and ice cream night, and i am sooo not drinking!

as far as the 'drunks' thing... myself and most of the people in my meetings tend to introduce ourselves more formally as 'alcoholics', but when we're sharing and being gut-level honest, many of us (me, my sponsor, many many in my meetings) just go with 'drunks'. not a lot of sugar-coating! i don't know... i certainly wasn't going for any kind of insult (and if i did offend anyone, i am extremely sorry), i think for me it's just a phrasing choice that is kind of like a nick-name, or something. kinda like the goofy nicknames my best friend and i have for each other.

anyway, i really do appreciate all the love here. SR folks are the best!!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

So glad you and the kids are OKAY! I slammed into a deer with my 4 year old twins in the back seat. I know how scary and dangerous that can be. I can't imagine doing that if I had been drinking.... Good for you for choosing to go to a meeting.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad you are Ok. I know the " drunks " reference is one we use but I don't like it . Trying to look at the positive side as always. I go to meetings and when people say that... Uuuh it just gets in my Jib!!!

I always shrug and think POSITIVE... Thoughts. Sometimes I say that and get good feedback or bad!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

EM - oh my goodness. So glad you and your babies are just fine.

If you never believed in a higher power before, I bet you sure do today.

Blessings.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My jaw dropped when I read your post ersatz! Here I was all jealous of your great outdoors adventure and instead you had a great outdoors calamity! Although as adventures go, a deer slamming into your van qualifies. So glad you and the kids ...and the deer...weren't hurt. Those kids gotta story for life : ) "Hey Ma remember that trip when the deer jumped in our van?".
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Oh my gosh, that must have been so frightening. But thank goodness you're all alright. And, yes, thank goodness you were sober to deal with it! Great job on getting to a meeting.