Notices

does it ever end ?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does it ever end ?

hi peeps , not been here for a while things were good then bad now there ok sort of.. my question is to the old timers , not in age but in drinking experience. do these cravings and thoughts of alcohol ever leave?? ive had enough of it why cant i be normal? iv smoked weed , crack,heroin, done coke and ecstasy in the past but nothing comes close to the relationship i have with alcohol. is it because its legal and easily accessible that its become my downfall?. Ill be honest i think its a scandal that alcohol is legal and would back a campaign to criminalize it. I mean for gods sake its a poison after all , we are basically slowly killing ourselves. It really is the devils juice and i wont let the devil win no matter what. Big respect to all of you fighting this problem, it is a nightmare but it can only make us stronger.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the cravings and thoughts left me. I have ceased fighting alcohol. it no longer controls me.the problem has been removed.
but I had to put in a lot of footwork and and give it T.I.M.E.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't get cravings anymore.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess it's mostly an individual thing like most things about people. From about 1 month sober till 30+ years I'm grateful that all desire left one day at a time. BE WELL
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi bradley - nice to see you. I drank all my life & I rarely think of it anymore. I certainly no longer feel sorry for myself or like I'm missing out - the way I did in the beginning.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bradley26 View Post
. Ill be honest i think its a scandal that alcohol is legal and would back a campaign to criminalize it. I mean for gods sake its a poison after all , we are basically slowly killing ourselves.
Legal or not we would have found a way. They always have back to bootlegging. Not everyone abuses alcohol so I kinda disagree. Just because I did doesn't mean everyone should be penalized.
For some it is a simple beverage with dinner.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get to an AA meeting and find out what is at the root of our troubles. The solution is there for everyone willing to go to any lengths and take suggestions. Helps millions. Helped me. No more obsessing.Wish you the best.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bradley, the cravings really do ease. I was a daily blackout drinker & today as I was driving home and not feeling well + overwork I did fleetingly think of alcohol and it made me so nauseated. Even just thinking about it now makes me feel sick. I told my partner once I got home how grateful I am to be sober and so much more able to deal with mental & physical discomfort.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"is it because its legal and easily accessible that its become my downfall?. "
just my opinion, but no.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bradley

I dunno about you but I drank for years - you have to give it a few months at least before the old thoughts die off.

do you have any support?
what changes have you made to your life besides not drinking?

both those things are important - we need to be sober but we need to be happy too.

D
Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bradley26 View Post
Big respect to all of you fighting this problem, it is a nightmare but it can only make us stronger.
Bradley -

I agree with you entirely: it IS a nightmare, and those who wake up WILL be stronger! You're already stronger, and we want you to continue to be strong with us!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.

- c
Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dee , well i basically run , box, lift weights, ride my bike and eat a ridiculously heathly diet. Its weird because i have swapped a bad lifestyle of alcohol and over eating, hitting 250lbs to becoming super healthy and exercising like theres no tomorrow. it seems i must always be doing something to extreme. Im either a fat mess drinking all the time or a health freak. I dont know whats wrong with me.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

nothing thats not wrong with the rest of us...

I think balance is important tho - do some fun stuff too - stuff that doesn't need alcohol involved.

and I think support is important - if you're using SR, why not use it a little more?

D
Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, this may seem a silly question but when u say use sr more do u mean post more often?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

post or read. I just think supports important

D