Notices

Small hiccup on 3rd night of journey

Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey bob:
I am really interested in an update too. You seem like a smart man on a similar journey to most of us. Even if you drank you should come back and update. No judging here. In fact its great to vent. To admit stuff to people not just a mirror! Plus its great to talk it out as you seem to be doing.
Our minds are beautiful things. Though they can fall into thought habits and patterns. Chatting here about options s, worries, plans and challenges has been a wonderful help for me.

Take care, hope you celebrated day one sober. And if not that's cool, I would bet it was a huge learning opportunity to get you prepared for day 1 2 3 etc.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well I am happy to report my first completely sober night in more than 10 years :-)

The Good:

The evening went fairly well. I went to the gym and spent 1 1/2 hours lifting. Came home and did laps in our pool until my arms literally felt like falling off. My kids thought it was strange as I normally just lounge with a drink in the pool. My wife knew exactly what I was doing.

I think telling my wife up front earlier in the day that I was not drinking helped. She never mentioned it - never poured a drink and unlike efforts to moderate - there were no back and forth should we or shouldn't we.

It was MUCH easier than I thought.

The Bad:

We went to bed around midnight. I took 1 OTC sleeping aid. Not one minute of sleep. Literally an all-nighter. I listened to my wife blissfully sleeping away which I actually think made things worse. Got up 3 times and read for an hour but nothing.

So once again (unlike yesterday) I am the walking dead.

I know it's to be expected but I'm not sure I can live like this. I can live on 3-4 hours but I cannot on 0.

Hopefully the doctor can give me something to help sleep on Monday.

I am happy I made it through Day 1. Never thought I'd see the day. Hopefully I can say the same thing tomorrow.

I really do appreciate the support here. Very glad I found this place.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Awesome...DB...so glad to hear you took the plunge (pun intended with the swimming thing). Not so good to hear bout the sleep thing. I would suggest melotonin (more natural sleep aid..as well as magnesium (nature's anti anxiety). Your body needs sleep..so it will happen. Really glad to hear....continue to post. You got big cajones. Glad you're wife was supportive too! That's just gravy.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Jules

I think the sleep thing will work itself out, your body is going through a huge adjustment. I have tried melatonin and they also have various teas to help with sleep and relaxation. Eventually your body will let you sleep but talking to your doc can't hurt.

Have you tried meditation or anything like that - just some quite time to relax your mind and body. I know it sounds cheesy but sometimes it helps.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Its ruff the first couple of weeks until the body readjusts but it will be all worth it in the end!!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

may it be the first of many Bob - & it will get better
D
Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats on day one.
I found reading posts here put me too sleep everytime early on (not a knock on anyone, just the reading calmed the brain) and as stated above magnesium helped when taken at night...for sleep and That horrible anxiety.

Take care
Old 07-20-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You can do this.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Great job!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

that's fantastic bob.

my therapist keeps trying to teach me mindfulness. i have downloaded a 'rain' app and use it to help me sleep. you can set a timer so it fades out after a couple of hours. it's actually working for me, and i have been an insomniac my whole life.