Notices

I am tired of drinking - HELP

Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am tired of drinking - HELP

I am quickly drinking myself to death. I start at about 5AM, keep popping to bed during the day to sleep if off then get up and drink again.

I at the point where I understand it will kill me. I am also at the point that I understand I hate drinking - I HATE IT. I actually want my life back. A life that is not controlled by drinking.

I am a professional IT/Marketing person (unemployed now - there's a shock!) and I don't understand how I got here.

I have a question to those who have had the courage to deal with this. How long do the shakes and withdrawal symptoms last when you stop and how GOOD do you feel when they are gone? I just need a push and thank anyone who can HELP me PLEASE xx

I am crying as I type this as I am at the end of my tether.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone is different in regards to withdrawl symptoms, so I cannot give you any specific timeframes. But I can tell you this: Stick with this, and stay close to SR and in a few days you are going to feel a LOT better.

There is lots of wisdom and experience here. I'm pullin for you man!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

daloulie

Thanks mate - really appreciate it. I am glad I found this forum and people like yourselves.

Regards

Kev
Old 07-19-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Kev. You are in good company here.

Different people react differently to withdrawing from alcohol. In some people, the withdrawal effects can be severe and sometimes dangerous. You should get medical advice and/or assistance to detox. That detox process can take a few days or a week, I think, but everyone is different.

After that, it will be really helpful to make a NOT drinking plan. After years of abuse it can take a while to feel right about not drinking. A plan helps. You can read around the forums here and ask questions. Members here are using many different methods/plans to stay sober. Members here are also very helpful, and will be glad to help you find your path to permanent sobriety.

You can do this.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No worries! There is a chatroom option up in the right hand corner. I'm in there if you wanna kick the can around a bit.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Kev, I believe withdrawal can range from no physical symptoms to fatal; it depends on yourself, and how much you drink. I strongly advise you to talk to a doctor before you start, preferably one with experience in addiction. It's not just to protect your health, it will be a moral support for you. It also helps to have a plan for dealing with cravings and avoiding triggers.
It's good that you've got to the point of being disgusted and fed up. You've got a brilliant goal to aim for. Imagine living your life free from the self hatred and disgust that comes with alcoholism. All the best and let us know how you are going. Don't be afraid to post if you feel like you're going to relapse as you'll get plenty of support and encouragement.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks everyone for you help - I am really going to try.

What a great forum.

Kev
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd characterize it as three pretty bad days followed by 3-4 days of steady improvement. After a full week of not drinking you will feel much, much better. And get some medication for the symptoms from your doctor if you can, it's safer and less of an ordeal that way.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I second Nonsensical's suggestion. If you are drinking all day and all night, see a doctor, be honest about the level of your drinking, and quit with supervision.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As stated recovery in total varies with the individual and circumstances. This may sound weird but this period of repair is what I call a great remember when. It means that if we don't pick up the first drink we don't have to get sober AGAIN. I needed AA as this recovery is long term maintenance and unfortunately many forget all the pain involved in trying to get sober. It's a process that can't be rushed with a pill. BE WELL
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Kev . I think you'll really benefit by being here. You're among people who truly understand what you're going through.

I was at the same point when I joined SR - drinking 'round the clock. When I came here I didn't feel alone anymore & that made all the difference to me. I agree about seeing a doctor, too - if that's possible. For me, it was about 2-3 days of feeling shaky & strange. It also takes a little while for our sleep patterns to return to normal. Once it's over you never have to go back there again. You sound determined to do this - and we know you can.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with the above comments. If you are drinking all day and night then definitively see a doctor. I was morning, afternoon and evening drinker too. I quit and had a seizure after 3 days of not drinking. Not good. Its much better to go see your doctor (be honest) and let him/her get you off alcohol. They may or may not give you medication to ease the WD's too.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
now's the time

Kev, to add to what you have to look forward to... I promise you, you can't even imagine it. I was also drinking constantly (also unemployed). The past five months have been hard, but they have also been amazing. Truly amazing. Even the difficulties have been good in their way. I am an atheist/agnostic but this has been the most deeply spiritual experience of my life. Not only do I feel happier and healthier, I also feel like a strong person. I know that I can handle life on its own terms. I feel like I'm learning who I am... and I didn't even realize I didn't know!

It's so worth it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kev

I was an all day and night drinker too - do see a Dr - it's simply the safest way to go.

There is life after drinking, even like we used to - I love who I am now and I love my life.

The first step to getting there is putting the bottle down and getting help

D
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

kevtheklev -

I've been completely sober for 12 days now, and I feel AMAZING!!! I'm not exaggerating. I haven't felt this good about myself since I was a teenager before I started drinking. It really is a great feeling, and I look forward to this weekend so I can go anywhere I want and do anything I want at any time of day or night, since I won't have to worry about driving drunk and/or being pulled over for DUI.

It's tough, I know it is, but please find strength and practice discipline. I remember getting on my knees in desperation and praying for strength and discipline so that I may live a healthier life. I haven't drank since.

There are LOTS of great people on here who TRULY care. Actually, I've yet to meet one bad/negative person on here. Hang out with us, hang out with others who don't drink, tell your family and close friends that you want to quit drinking so they can help you, too.

We're here for you, kevtheklev, and we care about you and can't wait to hear you tell us about how well you're doing and how long you've been sober.

please keep in touch, and LEAN ON US!!!

- c