Notices

not yet there..

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not yet there..

Hello all, Im new here..first and foremost I think this is a wonderful site, the posts I have read have helped me seek help. There is so much honesty here I want to share my story also.., I am a 38 year old mother of two. I have travelled, worked and functioned "normally" apart from issues with romantic relationships, throughout my life I have always been a drinker, since I was 14 years old, in my twenties, in addition to alcohol I used ecstasy, speed, cocaine, acid,poppers. I was informed (thankfully) by a youth programme never to take heroine or crack as it was so addictive. sensible advice.

I am in love with my two young children, however I struggled at times with the lack of freedom, the responsibility of it all. I was struggling in my marriage, finances were continually difficult..(childcare was costing more than my mortgage) then I lost my job as a family support worker (government budget cuts) and my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer. My mum was a single parent and my "father" was not present. so this was quite a blow. we have a difficult relationship, my mother and I, but she adores my children and gives me much needed practical support, And I love her regardless.

Anyway, it was a crappy year. My husband and I separated and all of the above in addition, then my drinking started to escalate, as I wasn't working I could drink during the day. for the last year I would say I have been functioning in a drunken haze, I have always made sure the children are safe, however I know I have a problem. Last week I approached a alcohol support agency. I realise I need the help and support of others. Thats why I am here. I am awaiting a visit from the community detox nurse. I did not drink yesterday, but I did drink today. I want to stop completely. I know I will, but with some much needed support. so "hello" and thanks to the community in advance.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

askim - Welcome to SR!!

I'm glad you're seeking the medical advice on detox, as alcohol withdrawal can be fatal.

It's rather slow, tonight, as for those of us in the US..well, for me it's near midnight.

I hope you read around here and the alcoholism forum. That's what I did when I first got here (though I'm a recovering crack addict). I found out I wasn't alone, no matter what we are addicted to, we have similarities, and that really helped.

Keep reading and posting, sweetie. You've just joined a huge family who gets what you are going through and will be here for you as you start your journey on to "recovery road".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome & congrats on making this decision ..
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Askim

Welcome to SR.

As a mum of 2 I can feel your pain. I too started drinking at a young age ... I realised I had problem with my drinking when I was 18 ... I am 43 now and recently sober .. I am still married to a heavy drinker.

Had I ever lost my job while I was drinking I would have spiralled out of control. I have always been the Primary wage earner.

Congratulations for reaching out for help .... it took me along time to actually stop drinking .. I tapered .. seeking medically would have made life so much easier for the kids and I.

Anyways good luck and stick wit SR ... I found logging on to SR chat the times I would have een drinking a very good strategy.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR askim

D